How to flatten PVC Pipe

A place for general potato gun questions and discussions.
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:06 pm

This thread is several years old, but since it is kicked up, this is how I made the large PVC washer for my ABS cannon that is between the piston and foam bumper. I flattened a piece of pipe and used a hole saw to cut out a washer.

Hubb
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:56 pm

Agreed. Several years old, but quite a useful topic.

My method of making PVC sheet is to split the pipe then use a heat gun. Push it flat then let it cool. I've used many different methods (in the oven, boiling, over flame, etc) and a heat gun seems to work the best. They can be purchased for around $20, and mine was purchased specifically for this application.

My latest project with PVC sheet is a knife sheath for my Buck 119. It turned into a very durable sheath. And I was able to heat form the PVC around the blade too.
kamen2211
Recruit
Recruit

Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:37 am

hello everyone i am very new here but not new at all to spudding but
i would like to make a few suggestions and comments on this topic so here they are

1. could you compound the slices of pvc to make a thicker sheet if you increased the temperature and thereby the malleability of the pipe and if so could it be durable enough to machine into a vortex block?

2. is it possible that using cellulose core pvc as is often found in the larger diameter pipe such as 3" as mentioned in the instructions would lead to a decrease in structural integrity

that's it thanks!
kamen2211
saefroch
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:02 am

1. Wikipedia says PVC melts at 100-260C, so good luck melting it without charring it (If you really want to, go right ahead and try but I don't think you'll get good results).

2. Probably, but you'd have to look at the specific pressure rating for that pipe.

If you're trying to make a solid plastic vortex block, Technician1002 successfully melted large sheets of UHMWPE together.
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:45 am

saefroch wrote:If you're trying to make a solid plastic vortex block, Technician1002 successfully melted large sheets of UHMWPE together.
Just HDPE. I failed in attempt with the other stuff.

Hot PVC resembles a flexible garden hose. It shapes much the same way. It will not mold like clay to a new shape.

This video shows this.
[youtube][/youtube]
mattyzip77
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3
United States of America

Donating Members

Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:27 pm

WOW!!! Tech that video was amazing!! That is so awesome how they do that!! Its basically just taking your time, and heating all parts of the pipe equally!! Thanks for posting that!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Go Bruins!!!!