Sub-Calibre Saboted Ammo

Potatoes last one shot, so build reusable! Discuss ammo designs and ideas. Tough to find cannon part or questions? Ask here!
ShowNoMercy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:12 pm

How about making some HEAT rounds? :lol:
Jesus saves, no need to pray
The gates of pearl have turned to gold
It seems you've lost your way
clide
Corporal 3
Corporal 3

Donating Members

Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:50 pm

Wouldn't quenching it make it hard and brittle again? Seems like you would want it built a bit like a samurai sword (just watched a show about them). Hard on the outside with a softer but tough inner core. They achieved this by forging two different types of steel together, but I think you may be able to achieve the same effect by being careful with your quenching process. Maybe just quickly quenching the front half of the round and then leaving it out to slow cool the rest and (hopefully) the inner part.

Although I'm not familiar with how fast HSS needs to be quenched so it could be that you are getting a softer inner core even with the full quenching.

Nice round you got there, looking forward to seeing what you can do with it.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:13 pm

Just to give some idea or the performance required, the Russian 9x39mm cartridge fires a 16 gram steel cored bullet at just over 900 feet per second and is claimed to penetrate 8mm thick steel plate at 100 metres.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Novacastrian
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:49 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Just to give some idea or the performance required, the Russian 9x39mm cartridge fires a 16 gram steel cored bullet at just over 900 feet per second and is claimed to penetrate 8mm thick steel plate at 100 metres.
Thanks JSR, mine is 10mm at 14grms, maybe i will need to fire ar 6x. That should put me up around Mach 1.2 approx, 100 meters hey, my shot will be at around 3 meters so i reckon i have a reasonable chance.

Clide, thankyou for you compliment- i will research how to properly temper the round, i have watched the same program on the swords i think.
America, the greatest gangster of all time. With 200 million odd foot soldiers at it's whim and call.
When you fill your car with refined oil remember that it has been paid for with blood and guts, some from your own countrymen, most not.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:32 am

lol I figured the diameter out by comparing it to the rizla :D

If it doesn't work, Might I suggest moving to smaller diameter (say 5mm) with something like this, using aluminium tubing as a "tail"
Attachments
5mm subcalibre design.jpg
5mm subcalibre design.jpg (4.38 KiB) Viewed 3900 times
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Novacastrian
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:17 am

Yes you may, however it would be a little harder for me to make.
I will subtitute aluminium if it has no real benefit though.
I'll make one just for you! :)
America, the greatest gangster of all time. With 200 million odd foot soldiers at it's whim and call.
When you fill your car with refined oil remember that it has been paid for with blood and guts, some from your own countrymen, most not.
Novacastrian
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:21 am

ShowNoMercy wrote:How about making some HEAT rounds? :lol:
If i could i would. However there are some better options :twisted:

BTW, it was a Tally Ho paper 8) i use them to roll expensive cigarettes :P
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:25 am

It could be all steel with a drilled out tail, same effect - I suggested the aluminium tube to reduce the need for machining. Smaller diameter will obviously penetrate easier as there's less quantity of steel plate to displace, however you need a corresponding increase in projectile length to keep the sectional density up.
Novacastrian
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:47 am

That is very true JSR. :)

Edit: for the steel i was thinking 4140.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:54 am

expensive cigarettes
LOLOL
DYI
First Sergeant 5
First Sergeant 5
Antigua & Barbuda

Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:42 pm

The ammo that I used was an 8" long piece of 1/2" rebar (not quite as advanced as your's, I know). It weighed about 250 grams, and was fired with a sabot from a 2" barrel at about 500 fps, from the burst disk cannon mentioned in my sig (which won't be posted for quite a while yet due to severe leaking issues and the lack of money to solve them).

I have a round sitting on the table in front of me that is designed to be fired from the burst disk gun that should work, but now the BD cannon is out of commission, so I won't be shooting through that plate steel any time soon.
The new round is a sharpened piece of 1/4" steel rod about 16" long, weighing 150 grams. Muzzle velocity should be slightly over 800 fps, and it will be fired at point blank range. I plan on tempering the rod before I shoot it.
Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
Novacastrian
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:35 am

Then why did you claim to have shot your round out of something "with quite a bit more power than your Hybrid"
BTW my projectile weighs 14 grams, your's 250 grams.
Mine is going a shat load faster than your's. (over Mach 1)
beebs111
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:56 am

you know what would be an intresting thing to try? i know that an army-navy surplus store sells old surplus .50 BMG and .308 tungsten AP rounds, for about 3-6 bucks a pop. why not buy some of those rounds and design a sabot to fire them out of your hybrid? they would almost definetly achieve better penetration and possibly a higher velocity.
in the upcoming presidential election, there will be several candidates who will be running, one of whom is Hillary Clinton. Now WAIT A SECOND!!! I though there was some sort of rule that prevented someone from serving more than two terms in office. Vote Against Hillary: Presidential Elections 08
SpudBlaster15
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3
Seychelles

Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:37 am

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras nec placerat erat. Vivamus dapibus egestas nunc, at eleifend neque. Suspendisse potenti. Sed dictum lacus eu nisl pretium vehicula. Ut faucibus hendrerit nisi. Integer ultricies orci eu ultrices malesuada. Fusce id mauris risus. Suspendisse finibus ligula et nisl rutrum efficitur. Vestibulum posuere erat pellentesque ornare venenatis. Integer commodo fermentum tortor in pharetra. Proin scelerisque consectetur posuere. Vestibulum molestie augue ac nibh feugiat scelerisque. Sed aliquet a nunc in mattis.
Last edited by SpudBlaster15 on Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Novacastrian
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:11 pm

Well bugger me, you just gone and fucked me all up.
Back to my dirt farm.....