2" Compound Round Testing Video

Potatoes last one shot, so build reusable! Discuss ammo designs and ideas. Tough to find cannon part or questions? Ask here!
PCGUY
Owner
Owner
United States of America

Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:35 pm

Mike from http://www.UltimateSpudGun.com sent me some of his 2" UHMW compound rounds for me to test out. These are the orange/white rounds you see in some of the ads here at SpudFiles. I decided to take them over to my buddies house along with the BL-520 to test them against an old set of dresser drawers. Not only did we demolish the dresser with excessive power, but some of the shots ended up going through multiple layers of the dresser THEN completely THROUGH our industrial beer pallet and into the brush we had setup as a backstop.

[youtube][/youtube]

I must say I love these rounds. They fly so perfectly because they are weighted and balanced, completely unlike the potatoes and other items I am used to shooting. The great part is that they are so strong they are reusable. We shot all evening, a whole lot more than is in the video, and managed to finally only break 1 from repeated shots through the pallet backstop. I can only dream of how far these would fly in a huge field!
Last edited by PCGUY on Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, I am the guy that owns & operates SpudFiles (along with our extremely helpful moderators).
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:42 pm

Backstop dominator eh? DYI, your crown is under threat :D

I've said it before and I'll say it again, its a shame to see many a member here dedicate so much time and attention to making a powerful launcher, then fail to do the same with ammunition and never realise the full potential of their creation. Props to USG for finally addressing the issue for larger calibres :)
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Brian the brain
Netherlands

Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:57 pm

Wow..
Imagine a guy that is unfamiliar with the power of spudguns because he never made any..suddely holding that kind of power in his hands..!

Amazing for " just" a combustion.
Gun Freak wrote:
Oh my friggin god stop being so awesome, that thing is pure kick ass. Most innovative and creative pneumatic that the files have ever come by!

Can't ask for a better compliment!!
maverik94
Corporal
Corporal

Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:43 pm

lol, I love it: "Thats a big F@cking gun!" Yeah, that looks preety much AMAZING!
"You can't be friends with anyone if you aren't friends with yourself."
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I'm not." -André Gide
Give me a lever long enough, and a fulcrum on which to place it and I shall move the world.
–Archimedes
Defeat is always momentary.
–Carl Denham

Current Project: None, I'm in Spudremission.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:15 am

Brian the brain wrote:Imagine a guy that is unfamiliar with the power of spudguns because he never made any..suddely holding that kind of power in his hands..!
As above, ammunition makes a huge difference.

Potatos are far from being the ideal destructive ammunition due to their proclivity for disintegrating themselves in preference to the target.
Amazing for " just" a combustion
With properly made saboted darts, I'm sure many basic big bore combustions would put most firearms to shame in terms of penetration (though of course lagging behind in terms of compactness, rate of fire, accuracy etc.)
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
ThegunGuy
Private 4
Private 4

Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:24 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote: With properly made saboted darts, I'm sure many basic big bore combustions would put most firearms to shame in terms of penetration (though of course lagging behind in terms of compactness, rate of fire, accuracy etc.)

When you find a combustion that can penetrate the quarter inch of steel using saboted darts my Christmas present can penetrate with a hollowpoint I will probably give up on magnum rifles and use that instead. (I just found out my new gun can go through most body armor including the United States armed forces helmet, with a full metal jacket bullet. I'm not sure about the interceptor body armor but I'm pretty sure its only rated to stop a .308 round. I am currently designing a better helmet for our soldiers and I don't care if I have to pay for each one myself.)
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:39 pm

ThegunGuy wrote:When you find a combustion that can penetrate the quarter inch of steel using saboted darts my Christmas present can penetrate with a hollowpoint I will probably give up on magnum rifles and use that instead.
Easily possible.

I've been designing a projectile for one of my launchers - it's designed to go through 1/2" steel at a quarter mile, and all the tests and simulations so far suggest that it'll do it, with capacity to spare.
The clincher here is that the launcher in question is only about 35-40% of the muzzle energy of the BL-520. Scale up the design to fit the BL-520, and it would very easily breach 1/4" steel, particularly at short ranges.

Alternatively, it depends on how you define "combustion". The HyGaC20 holds the record so far at 10mm steel with a full-bore projectile.
Mind you, the HyGaC20 can make everything short of .50 BMG rifles look wimpy.
Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
jeepkahn
Corporal 3
Corporal 3

Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:58 pm

ThegunGuy wrote: When you find a combustion that can penetrate the quarter inch of steel using saboted darts my Christmas present can penetrate with a hollowpoint I will probably give up on magnum rifles and use that instead.
What?!?!? Don't pneumatics get to play???

These shots are 1" ball bearings through 3/16" steel plate( a safe)....
Attachments
spallwitness2.jpg
insidesafe.jpg
safeinside.jpg
My Cannons can be found by clicking the following link.
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/viewtop ... tml#256896
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:58 pm

ThegunGuy wrote:When you find a combustion that can penetrate the quarter inch of steel using saboted darts my Christmas present can penetrate with a hollowpoint I will probably give up on magnum rifles and use that instead. (I just found out my new gun can go through most body armor including the United States armed forces helmet, with a full metal jacket bullet. I'm not sure about the interceptor body armor but I'm pretty sure its only rated to stop a .308 round. I am currently designing a better helmet for our soldiers and I don't care if I have to pay for each one myself.)
A CZ pistol will go through a kevlar helmet, while other pistols with greater ft/lbs won't. It's not just muzzle energy that counts for penetration, projectile shape, hardness, density and velocity are all important factors. I'm certain that 1/4" plate would be no problem for a properly made saboted dart from a big bore combustion.

This doesn't mean you should give up your magnum rifles though, because as I said originally:
yours truly wrote:I'm sure many basic big bore combustions would put most firearms to shame in terms of penetration (though of course lagging behind in terms of compactness, rate of fire, accuracy etc.)
ThegunGuy
Private 4
Private 4

Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:06 pm

The helmet thing is something I just recently found out and it really bothered me that me that my rifles could easily go through our army's helmets. Tomorrow if its warm enough I might cast some armor piercing rounds for a 9mm see if that goes through my helmet.

By the way do you know where I could get very thin ballistic ceramic like .09 inches? I'm experimenting with ceramic/titanium laminate armor.

I was kidding about the giving up magnums, I couldn't if I wanted to its so addictive.

Edit: If anyone can make a good sabot I might be able to make some ultra hard high sectional density darts. Do you think that a 11 inch nail if I harden it with a large lead weight attached to the back would penetrate a 5/16 inch steel plate? Not sure how much it would weigh but I bet its about one pound.

I said 1/4th of an inch but meant half an inch, I think that's about the limit of my 300 mag.
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:59 pm

ThegunGuy wrote:The helmet thing is something I just recently found out and it really bothered me that me that my rifles could easily go through our army's helmets.
Some parts of modern armour are only much protection against ricochet and shrapnel, and not the actual bullets flying about. A lot of armour is being invalidated by developments in projectiles.

Modern armour piercing rounds, from even relatively small bores like 5.56mm, can cut through 1/2" steel or more with enough energy left to really mess up anything living on the other side. Against bigger rounds, even 1" steel may not be enough.

These days, the options against good armour piercing ammunition are really only to make the armour exceptionally hard in an attempt to smash the bullet apart.

Unfortunately, a lot of military equipment is "lowest bidder" stuff. If it fits the (often lax) criteria, and it's cheap, that's enough.
For the most part, I would not want to be walking into combat with the arms or armour they have to put up with.
Do you think that a 11 inch nail if I harden it with a large lead weight attached to the back would penetrate a 5/16 inch steel plate?
No. The problem there is that darts need their centre of gravity ahead of their centre of pressure, so the large lead weight at the back would make for a very unstable projectile that would likely not hit straight and fail to penetrate for those reasons.
I said 1/4th of an inch but meant half an inch, I think that's about the limit of my 300 mag.
Still feasible. Spudguns can be built to pretty wide criteria, so eventually, if you build one big enough, or with a nasty enough projectile, you could match the performance of any given firearm.
Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:53 am

ThegunGuy wrote:The helmet thing is something I just recently found out and it really bothered me that me that my rifles could easily go through our army's helmets. Tomorrow if its warm enough I might cast some armor piercing rounds for a 9mm see if that goes through my helmet.
Helmets are not really made to be bullet proof, they are mainly there to protect the wearer from shell fragments which tend to be larger and travel slower than firearm projectiles. It will probably stop a standard lead 9mm round, but there are 9mm armour piercing steel cored rounds available that will defeat it easily.

A helmet that will stop a high velocity rifle bullet at close range will likely be extremely uncomfortable to wear.
As Rag pointed out an AP round powered the tiny 5.56mm cartridge will still go through half an inch of steel plate several hundred metres away. With the benefit of a steel cored round or, even better, a solid steel round in a commercially available sabot, and you'll be able to penetrate much more.
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:12 am

A helmet that will stop a high velocity rifle bullet at close range will likely be extremely uncomfortable to wear.
Entirely true.

Take that it's strong enough to stop a .50 bmg at close range. Though what's going to happen to your neck, brain etc with 18 + kilojoules of energy imparted onto it.
PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:28 am

inonickname wrote:Take that it's strong enough to stop a .50 bmg at close range. Though what's going to happen to your neck, brain etc with 18 + kilojoules of energy imparted onto it.
That's another good point, the energy has to go somewhere. A baseball bat will easily cause fatal injuries without actually penetrating the skull. An effectile helmet would also need to brace the head and neck, pretty much soldiers would start looking likethis.
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:01 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
inonickname wrote:Take that it's strong enough to stop a .50 bmg at close range. Though what's going to happen to your neck, brain etc with 18 + kilojoules of energy imparted onto it.
That's another good point, the energy has to go somewhere. A baseball bat will easily cause fatal injuries without actually penetrating the skull. An effectile helmet would also need to brace the head and neck, pretty much soldiers would start looking likethis.
And every good COD player knows those suits are extremely practical and extremely mobile.

(and that as long as you say your pretty awesome you can be hit with a .50 BMG and not even fall over..fricking juggernoobs.)
PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun