I HATE HOME DEPOT

Potatoes last one shot, so build reusable! Discuss ammo designs and ideas. Tough to find cannon part or questions? Ask here!
MisterSteve124
Corporal 3
Corporal 3

Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:41 pm

Home Depot has NOTHING! I'm making a new cannon and I want this one to be totally safe especially because I am planning on using metered propane. When I was getting fittings I realized that ALL of them were DVW. The only ones that were NSF-pw were 1.5 inch fittings which are way too small. I guess I will have to go to some plumbing or pvc store. Unless Lowe's will have them. Does anyone else have problems finding non DVW fittings. I find it hard to believe that my Home Depot is the only one that only sells DVW.
ProfessorAmadeus
Sergeant
Sergeant

Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:01 pm

Only lowes has the pressure rated parts i discovered. But only up to 2 inch though.
Insomniac wrote:Hey why am I a goose???? Why not somthing a little more awe inspireing, like an eagle or something? LOL
SOO CUTE!! OMG!! I COULD JUST LICK YOU!!
Pete Zaria
Corporal 5
Corporal 5

Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:32 pm

I have several propane combustion guns (one metered), all of which use ABS or DWV PVC pipe. Most have had well over 100 shots, some as many as 500 shots fired. None have cracked, failed, or shown any signs of stress.

If your solvent welds are good, DWV fittings should be fine for a propane combustion gun. I've pressure tested DWV to over 125psi before (DONT try that) and it held up.

Of course, having a safety margin is always a good thing. If you have the money and time to get NSF-PW fittings, go for it. If not, I don't think there will be any problem with using DWV fittings.

Peace,
Pete Zaria.
MisterSteve124
Corporal 3
Corporal 3

Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:06 pm

Well if Lowe's only has them up to 2 inch that won't do me much good. The problem is Pete, that DVW fittings are supposedly fine one day and then the next day could be brittle and explode. If I can't find any other ones then I'll use the DVW because its only the fittings but I would rather have the NSF-pw.
SpudStuff
Sergeant 5
Sergeant 5

Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:32 pm

Is this for a combustion? If so use ABS fittings. If it is for a pneumatic you cna order larger fittings from www.mcmaster.com or www.plumbingsupply.com.
MisterSteve124
Corporal 3
Corporal 3

Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:27 pm

Yeah its for a propane combustion and I don't think that would be a good idea. Plus that does nothing because ABS isn't pressure rated either so I mine aswell use DVW. And I have no idea what glue you would use.
SpudStuff
Sergeant 5
Sergeant 5

Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:31 pm

You can use ABS on a propane combustion for sure. You use ABS glue availble in the ABS section of the Home depot. The pressure is there for a couple miliseconds. I used it with no problems.
frankrede
Sergeant Major 2
Sergeant Major 2

Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:50 pm

Are teh dwv fittings pressure rated?
Some are liek mine.
Current project: Afghanistan deployment
MisterSteve124
Corporal 3
Corporal 3

Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:02 pm

SpudStuff I know you can use abs on a propane cannon but that isn't going to be any safer for me than DVW so I'd rather just try and find NSF-pw. And frank no the only things they say are NSF-dvw and just other stuff but they dont say NSF-pw or pressure rated or anything.
SpudStuff
Sergeant 5
Sergeant 5

Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:07 pm

Oh yes it is! It is cheaper and will not grenade of it does blow. There have been MANY dissucions on this so don't get into it. The fact is you can use and feel safe using an ABS combustion.
SpudBlaster15
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3
Seychelles

Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:37 pm

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras nec placerat erat. Vivamus dapibus egestas nunc, at eleifend neque. Suspendisse potenti. Sed dictum lacus eu nisl pretium vehicula. Ut faucibus hendrerit nisi. Integer ultricies orci eu ultrices malesuada. Fusce id mauris risus. Suspendisse finibus ligula et nisl rutrum efficitur. Vestibulum posuere erat pellentesque ornare venenatis. Integer commodo fermentum tortor in pharetra. Proin scelerisque consectetur posuere. Vestibulum molestie augue ac nibh feugiat scelerisque. Sed aliquet a nunc in mattis.
Last edited by SpudBlaster15 on Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
MisterSteve124
Corporal 3
Corporal 3

Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:43 pm

SpudBlaster you are wrong ABS is just not pressure rated. PERIOD you don't know it can take the 40-60psi (unless you study ABS or something). And SpudStuff I just don't want it to explode at all so I am going to stick with pressure rated PVC. I'm not trying to make an arguement or anything here but I'm just going to find pressure rated PVC fittings.
SpudBlaster15
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3
Seychelles

Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:49 pm

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras nec placerat erat. Vivamus dapibus egestas nunc, at eleifend neque. Suspendisse potenti. Sed dictum lacus eu nisl pretium vehicula. Ut faucibus hendrerit nisi. Integer ultricies orci eu ultrices malesuada. Fusce id mauris risus. Suspendisse finibus ligula et nisl rutrum efficitur. Vestibulum posuere erat pellentesque ornare venenatis. Integer commodo fermentum tortor in pharetra. Proin scelerisque consectetur posuere. Vestibulum molestie augue ac nibh feugiat scelerisque. Sed aliquet a nunc in mattis.
Last edited by SpudBlaster15 on Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpudStuff
Sergeant 5
Sergeant 5

Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:53 pm

Exactly my point!
MisterSteve124
Corporal 3
Corporal 3

Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:54 pm

Just because you have an ABS and DVW cannon that didn't blow up yet that doesn't mean anything. Also it is said that one day DVW can be fine and the next blow up from the same amount of pressure. And is your cannon using metered propane because if not than that is another factor that shows your explanation is wrong.