sick of spudguns...

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:21 pm

Fear not, I'm sure we've all been there.

I've often had epoxy leak only to find out in the morning that all my hard work was now a solid immovable mess, but sometimes you need the sort of courage to bin everything and start over - if you can learn this skill for spudguns, it will be helpful for life in general too.

I've often tried to go back to my other more social acceptable hobbies but it never lasted, nothing quite beats the joy of blasting large holes through a discarded domestic appliance using a launcher you've built yourself :D
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
MrCrowley

Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:30 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote: if you can learn this skill for spudguns, it will be helpful for life in general too.
Are you saying if you mess up a girl when playing rough, just discard her and start over :D I'm not sure that law inforcement would like that.
Hubb
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:37 pm

MrCrowley wrote:
jackssmirkingrevenge wrote: if you can learn this skill for spudguns, it will be helpful for life in general too.
Are you saying if you mess up a girl when playing rough, just discard her and start over :D I'm not sure that law inforcement would like that.
No. He is saying if you spill epoxy on her and she becomes unusable, to discard her.
Mitchza89
Sergeant
Sergeant

Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:37 pm

Thats exactly right. I've always been into making things that fly fast or shoot fast. I've been making things since I was 7 or 8. I started off with coke bottle water rockets. I spent about a month building this one rocket. I didn't have much of an allouance back then so it took a while. On the very first flight, it shot about 150 feet in the air straight up. Not a problem at all but then......The wind picked up and PLONK! Straight on my neighbours roof. That ended that hobby. ..

I then got into paper wasps. You know, those little paper v shaped darts you flick from a rubber band.. Well I made a metal wasp rifle. The trigger that I used on it was sorta like that off a crossbow but with my own special engineering haha. This thing was veeeery dangerous. I used to shoot U shaped nails at 250-300fps. One day I fired it...The nail got wrapped around the slingshot rubber so when it recoiled back, I got a nail blasted right in the middle of my forehead....

That ended that hobby......
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:47 pm

I got a nail blasted night in the middle of my forehead....
Sorry, that made me chuckle audibly :)
Are you saying if you mess up a girl when playing rough, just discard her and start over Very Happy I'm not sure that law enforcement would like that.
maybe not so drastic :shock: :D but certainly having the cojones to pull the plug on a relationship that's going nowhere is an ability i've found useful in life.
No. He is saying if you spill epoxy on her and she becomes unusable, to discard her
or you could pour more epoxy and preserve her, like this :D

*ahem* anyway we can't have this sort of chauvinist talk on here, what would joanna say?
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Mitchza89
Sergeant
Sergeant

Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:49 pm

I'd hope she doesn't adopt your way of thinking and pull the plug on your relationship :D
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:53 pm

Trust me, the day you meet a girl like that, she's the one you'll want to be with ;)
Mitchza89
Sergeant
Sergeant

Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:55 pm

Haha well at the moment I can either afford beer/cannons or a girlfriend. Guess which one I'm gonna be picking haha :D:D
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:59 pm

Guess which one I'm gonna be picking
You're from Oz, and one of the options has "beer" in it. Hmmm, I wonder *strokes chin pensively* :D
MrCrowley

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:05 am

This guy knows what he is doing... :D
Attachments
RE.jpg
RE.jpg (15.68 KiB) Viewed 1485 times
Mitchza89
Sergeant
Sergeant

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:08 am

Now if only I could find a woman who either owns a beer factory or drinks as much of the golden nectar as yours truely. Then I'd die a happy fella :D
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:08 am

That looks like a good night out, what's that from hehe

It must be fiction, because domestic abuse is no longer a problem...
MrCrowley

Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:01 am

It's from the new Resident Evil movie which I currently 'apprehended.' :roll:

Could be set in New Zealand, because <A HREF="http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/GE0707/S ... ">domestic abuse is still a problem</a>
Killjoy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:25 am

Don't your parents let you drink? Most parents in NZ let their kids drink once they hit 13
No almost all males in my family have been alcohlics at one point or another, so they assume I will be one to, so no boos. And anyways where I live minors aren't even allowed to be in bars, even if they're with their parents. But yeah, getting a little of topic.

What I hate is I tend to drop delicate things, and then step on them looking for them. That really sucks. But yeah, this hobby wouldn't be the same without some failures and pricey mistakes. Keeps things interesting.
Stanford Class of 2012

"In the end our society will be defined not only by what we create, but what we refuse to destroy"- John Sawhill
chaos
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:32 am

just for re-assurement, on my last gun tripple s i believe it was, i was playing around with it in the shed as ya do, just tuning it a bit just had a dimm though what it would be like with a smaller chamber...
it was a bad idea nothing fit togeter, i ended up going mental on it with a turbo disc on the 4" grinder, that was also a learning curve.