new car....

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
sharpshooter
Private 4
Private 4

Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:15 am

well thats what happens in this lazy ass society. I know 2 people who have manuals... one is a BMW M3 and the other is a damn fine Acura RSX... neither of which i would ever be allowed to drive =[

I have been looking for a manual, just because i know how much fun they are from riding in them.

All but one of the camaros were V8s with a 5 speed. Which would some over kill to learn on.

I know that im the type to massivly over analyze every tiny detail.

I do want to have a manual.. its just that im worried bout breakin somthing and having a dead car or somthing real expensive. Now i know that probably wont happen, but theres part of me that thinks i will, so it makes me scared to pull the trigger on some $10000 car wen all i need to break is a $1000 one. and yea... thats my looping train of thought that spirals out of control.

-EDIT-

yea... a bike would be sweet. actually really sweet. but i ruled them out a while ago due to the fact i live in wisconsin
BC Pneumatics
Sergeant
Sergeant

Donating Members

Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:59 am

New Clutch: $650
Driving the Way it was Intended: Priceless.
Modderxtrordanare
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Donating Members

Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:56 am

My new clutch for my truck set me back maybe $400. It was allready dying when I bought it, me learning standard killed it all together.
Spudding since '05. Proud waster of plumbing and plumbing accessories.

-Wiki
-How-To: Modding a Sprinkler Valve
mark.f
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4
Eritrea

Donating Members

Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:54 am

My clutch and transmission are still working great. Eventually I'll have to replace the clutch, but that's expected.

While I've got the time to do it, I need to jack the engine out and replace the rear oil seal too...
Modderxtrordanare
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Donating Members

Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:03 am

My truck needs AC. *stupid question* Is it possible to install AC into a car that never came with it, it has no vents on the dash, so that's an issue. I live in Texas, and the heat is brutal on me.

-Wiki
BC Pneumatics
Sergeant
Sergeant

Donating Members

Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:54 am

Just use the good ol' 2-80 method.
mark.f
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4
Eritrea

Donating Members

Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:03 am

I don't think that you can install AC on a car that didn't come with one. There wouldn't be mounts for the compressor and pulley, there'd be no WOT relay or other relays, for that matter, and I don't even know if there'd be a space to fit the blower motor, evap. coil, dryer, etc.

Install a window unit! You'd look so "Sanford & Son" driving down the freeway with the back of an A/C unit sticking out the passenger window. :P

Or, just drive with the window down and pray for green lights.

BTW, BC, what's the 2-80 method?
BC Pneumatics
Sergeant
Sergeant

Donating Members

Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:06 am

2 windows down, 80 miles an hour.
sharpshooter
Private 4
Private 4

Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:04 pm

that makes me feel alot better if a clutch is still reasonably affordable. That makes me 95% sure my car is going to be manual (theres still that chance that a real good deal on an auto comes along).

hmmm....
Modderxtrordanare
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Donating Members

Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:45 pm

I allready have a fan hanging from the mirror, and I do the 2-80 method all the time. It's so hot here, that doesn't help any.

-Wiki
goathunter
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:04 pm

Here is an idea.Why don't you buy a junk manual carolla or what not.The 80's stuff is cheap.Learn to drive on that and when you get in your first accident you haven't lost much, plus you gained experience in the process.But you will have to deal with a junk car for a while.Isn't really a bad thing since you are learning anyways.

OR
You can do it like I did.I learned how to drive stick on a tractor.If you screw up that transmission you have no business with a car :D Then I bought an automatic Silverado. Yes,I know ridicule me for liking automatics,but honestly for a kid learning to drive an automatic provides one less thing to worry about when dodging crazy New Yorkers in traffic.I suggest learning the traffic laws and flow of driving with an automatic than switching back to a standard after you've been driving a while.
"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan

"KA BLAAM! Elimination! Lack of education."-Big Mama, Fox and the Hound, Disney
sharpshooter
Private 4
Private 4

Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:11 am

ive already been driving for over 2 yrs... so im not really trying to learn that (yes yes... i know... still could have more experience... but wat ev) a tractor doesn't really seem like a possibility tho...

Im thinking that if i got a some muscle car type my dad would help pay for it since hes always been talking about how much fun one would be.

but im not gonna rely on that
rednecktatertosser
Corporal
Corporal

Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:09 pm

I use the 2-80 method more than i use the A/C and it works fine. my new clutch set me back more than buying my car set me back. I learned on an auto but my first car was a stick.
"When you tell some body something, it depends on which part of these United States your standing in, as to how dumb you sound."
-Burt Reynolds as: Bo "Bandit" Darville
sharpshooter
Private 4
Private 4

Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:28 am

any thoughts on GMC trucks?? i saw one at my local chevy dealer for $7000, n then on craigslist there were a bunch more in the $6000-$8500 range.

is there somthin wrong that there is so many in my price range? or do they just lose value for no reason?
mark.f
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4
Eritrea

Donating Members

Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:10 am

Depends. What year are they?

Also, you need to ask the following questions. Often on those sites, they just give you minimum details and leave out important stuff like:

Rear-axle ratio. This affects driving considerably. Larger ratios equal better torque, acceleration, but poor gas-mileage and more engine wear. The smaller the ratio, (3.23, 3.73, 4.1, etc.), the lower the operating RPM for a certain road speed.

I've seen "manual transmission" a lot, but they never tell you 4-speed, 5-speed, or 6-speed. The more gears, the easier driving is on the engine.

Also, if it's an automatic transmission, try to get a 5-speed as well, (4 gears with overdrive).

Obviously, make a meeting in person to examine the vehicle before buying. Give it a good drive-around, and listen for engine noise from the manifolds, (to signal valve problems), engine performance, (not stalling or choking during acceleration, etc.), listen for excessive bearing noise, and just test the driveability in general. I'd also pop the hood and make sure everything is spec or better, make sure it's in good condition, ask the guy about the last time he changed each fluid, ask him how old the tires are, and everything else you can think of.