Trebuchet

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
paaiyan
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:57 pm

I've been planning on building a trebuchet for a while now, but I need some 4x4 posts. Anyone know about how much they cost? I'm gonna build it pretty big, and I want it sturdy.
"Who ever said the pen was mightier than the sword, obviously, never encountered automatic weapons."
-General Douglass MacArthur

Read my dog's blog - Life of Kilo
hi
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:09 pm

well you can buy them at 8 feet or at 12 feet. i think 6 foot ones are about $10 (give or take a few dollers, it depends where you live). i dont know how much 12 foot ones are.

the easyest way to find out is to go to home depot and look in the wood section.
"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
mark.f
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4
Eritrea

Donating Members

Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:14 am

Are these going to be quick-creted into the ground, like if you were building a deck foundation? Or are they just going to make a base you could move around?
Hubb
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:16 am

Hi is right. They are not that much. In South GA they run about 8 to 10 dollars.
paaiyan
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:53 am

I'm going to make a sturdy base, then cross-brace it just in case. I'm not going to use screw to hold it together, I'm going to use bolts and nuts so I can label the parts, disassemble it, then reassemble it on-site. I'll probably stake it down in a couple places once assembled. I'd rather be able to tear it down for transport, because it's going to be big. No cop would pull me over for having lumber in the truck, but I bet they would if I had an 8 foot tall trebuchet in the back.
"Who ever said the pen was mightier than the sword, obviously, never encountered automatic weapons."

paaiyan
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:58 am

OK, sorry for the double, but I have another question, and I kind of want to make sure the topic stays in the recents so I can get an answer. I just realized that I haven't got a clue what I'm going to use to support the arm. Like I said, this thing is going to be big, 300-400 pound counterweight, and probably between 75-100 pounds for the arm itself. Anyone got any ideas what I could use as an axle for the thing?

rednecktatertosser
Corporal
Corporal

Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:27 am

go to a junkyard, and look for an old rear wheel drive car axle, thats probably your best bet.
"When you tell some body something, it depends on which part of these United States your standing in, as to how dumb you sound."
-Burt Reynolds as: Bo "Bandit" Darville
paaiyan
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:35 am

You know about how much that would be? I'm trying to not spend too much on this thing. For now my idea is a steel pipe with wooden dowels jammed down in it and some concrete ti fill in the space.

jimmy101
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
United States of America

Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:53 pm

Paaiyan: You might want to consider putting this thing on wheels, even if you plan on taking it apart for transporting.

1. A treb will usually throw farther if it is on wheels.
2. Wheels significantly decrease the stresses on the treb when it is fired.
paaiyan
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:55 pm

I was thinking about doing that jimmy. I can always do that later too, my concern right now is my axle, I don't want to shell out the money for the axle from a car, but I want it to be strong.My plan at the moment is a steel pipe, 2 inch perhaps, with wood dowels jammed in it, and if there's any space left, I'll fill it with rebar.

Hayseed_Andrew
Private 4
Private 4

Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:56 pm

I have a few points to add, and a few questions.

1. What do you plan on using for weights?
2. My friend and I built one out of fough cut 2X10's on my farm, the base is 8' X 4' and the arm is 12' long. we have 400 pounds of Ford tractor weights on it and they are NOT enough, not even close, so if you plan on building one that big, make sure you have enough weight.
3. Also, if you plan on making one with wheels, make sure you use a fixed counterweight, or if no wheels, you HAVE to have a swinging counterweight. I hope you've done your research.

4. What are you going to use for a trigger?
5. How do you plan on pulling the arm down?
rednecktatertosser
Corporal
Corporal

Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:00 pm

i would advise using concrete for filling the pipe,

alternatively, if you found a pretty hefty branch, 2.5 to 3" in diameter, that would work pretty damn well.
"When you tell some body something, it depends on which part of these United States your standing in, as to how dumb you sound."
-Burt Reynolds as: Bo "Bandit" Darville
paaiyan
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:00 pm

1. concrete.

2. 10' arm, at least 400 pounds of weight, more if we decide we need it.

3. no wheels, hinged weight.

4. probably i-hooks and a pin. But upon suggestion, for the sake of the contest video, im going to tie the rope off so it wont whip around and cut it with a sword, because I'm cool like that and I have one.

5. rope and pulleys, most likely if i cant get it down, ill hook it up to my truck and pull it that way.

Hayseed_Andrew
Private 4
Private 4

Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:15 pm

What are you going to use for weight?

and have you seen this website? http://members.iinet.net.au/~rmine/Grey ... html#frank

I can send or post pictures if you want, but I'd have to take them first
paaiyan
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:16 pm

I said I was using concrete.

And that was a bad link.