flame thrower

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
pyromanic13
Corporal 5
Corporal 5

Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:31 pm

since it's not being used in a violent way I figuere it's ok.....but if im wrong feel free to Delete it.

http://mirror.linnwood.org/flamethrower/

now I don't feel like takeing a picture of mine but I did basicaly the same thing ,with more safety features such as a popoff vavle, hand held pressure guage ect...

if you REALLY want a pic I suppose I could try to put one up
beebs111
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:12 pm

that looks sick, but i think its against forum rules(maybe thats just spudtech) try bcpnuematics for pyro...
CS

Donating Members

Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:14 pm

Spudfiles Forum Rules wrote:12 ) Please no discussions of building/launching incenrary rounds (ammo on fire), fueled rocket type devices (that are to be shot from a cannon), combusting ammo (ammo that blows up/burns) or any sort of "smoke bombs" or similar devices. This is because the legal definition by the ATF states that as soon as you shoot something that is on fire out of a cannon, it's a destructive device
If you really wanted to question it, the contreversy would be if denatured alchol is "ammo". I would belive so because water is usally considered a ammo. This is a iffy post though, because first of all its very infromational mean while it sounds like PC wants to stay away from fire. So to tell you the truth, I dont know what side of the line this falls. (I will wait for a follow up post by either PC or one of the other mods)

Although the the fact if this should be posted is "iffy", I find the article very informative and has spurred me into wanting a flame thrower... He could of done alot better job on construction, but hey it works. I swear when people start putting purple primer on there cannons, they start flinging that shit around and get it everywhere.
Atlantis
Corporal 5
Corporal 5

Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:43 pm

I'm sure this is completely legal....YEAH RIGHT! I'm suprised this kid's dad hasn't killed him yet. It's pretty cool and all but, well, I guess, more money for the hospital when it flows back into the chamber.
pyromanic13
Corporal 5
Corporal 5

Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:11 am

you should see mine..........I use butane as a pilot light and fill the chamber with co2 to avoid explotion
PCGUY
Owner
Owner
United States of America

As long as this doesn't mix with spudguns (and it's kept strictly "offtopic", and spudcannons don't get mixed into the discussion) then this is fine.

However another helpful site specifically for this would be www.bcpneumatics.com

Edit - I'll also update the rules to be a bit more clear.
Last edited by PCGUY on Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, I am the guy that owns & operates SpudFiles (along with our extremely helpful moderators).
Shrimphead
Corporal
Corporal

Atlantis, it can't flow back into the chamber. The pressure that is causing the alcohol to shoot out keeps the flame from traveling into it. If you don't beleive me, go to http://www.bcpneumatics.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2
That explains the reasons why it can't.
pyromanic13
Corporal 5
Corporal 5

Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:17 am

Does tthat mean I dont need to use c02?
^
that capital is gor pimpman.

NOTE FROM PIMPMANN22: Well, Thank You! Just try doing that in the rest of your posts and try to use puncutation (sp?) as much as you can.
Shrimphead
Corporal
Corporal

Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:23 am

I think that it is just a little safer to use CO2, because that way if the flame magically happens to reach the chamber, there won't be plain oxygen, therefore, it won't be able to light the fuel and it won't explode.
pyromanic13
Corporal 5
Corporal 5

Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:28 am

yea cause when all the pressure is out theres still gonna be the inside of the hose lined with the alchohol

(I can't believe you guys havent seen it it's pretty old) oh ya and I thought you guys might get a kick out of this: I built mine in school by saying it was a "water gun"
spudshot
Sergeant
Sergeant

Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:50 am

use CO2 just to be safe, aerosol cans dont ignite because there is no air in them, and therefore no oxygen, if you were to use a spritzer bottle (you just unscrew the cap and pour liquid in) i believe there would be a much greater risk of the bottle exploding in your hand
BC Pneumatics
Sergeant
Sergeant

Donating Members

Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:25 am

In a flamethrower, when the last of the liquid fuel was being used, vapors could be ignited all the way back into the chamber. I dont use CO2 for any of my flamethrowers (I have built several) since it is too expensive.
Alternitively, I use propane, off the same line i use for the piolet light. Saves time and money.

If you purge the flamethrower of any air, then fill with propane, you are very protected against any chamber detonation. It is a very similar method to the one used by millitary flamethrowers. (Actually, Identical, save or they use butane)

Pyro, do you mind providing a few pics of your flamethrower?

Also, dont copy this design... if you want to build something similar, use pressure rated parts.

Some of my more recent stuff;
http://www.bcpneumatics.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=178
http://www.bcpneumatics.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=180
Brian the brain
Netherlands

Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:56 am

Any ideas on how to construct a mini??
Say... slightly larger then your hand, but capable of a small yet powerful burst?
HAYLO_Stealer
Private 4
Private 4

Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:29 am

tho im gonna buid one not the flame thowing part gonna make the worlds most kick ass super soaker lol get my whole neiborhood. but most of all as a safty precaition i had a couple flash fires with the glu e and primer :twisted:
Rambo
Corporal
Corporal

Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:13 am

What do you think.If I make one and some cop see me shooting around will I get arested?And will I have more problems.Or will some of the people in the street call police?