Anodizing

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:15 pm

Hey,

I'm rebuilding the mini cobra, except before assembly each aluminum part will be anodized. I've been doing tests using a caustic solution with dyes and the aluminum is accepting the dye, but not completely.

I'd rather avoid using sulfuric acid if I can, so is there any acceptable substitute? All I want to do is work a dye into the metal, I can then varnish it wafterwards if needed.

Has anyone tried something other than sulfuric? Citric? Boric? Oxalic? Acetic? Could a caustic mixture be used for this purpose?

The anodizing looks nice so far, but it's not complete. Would it look better if I went over it with steel wool or something before..

Thanks guys
PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:25 pm

inonickname wrote:Hey,

I'm rebuilding the mini cobra, except before assembly each aluminum part will be anodized. I've been doing tests using a caustic solution with dyes and the aluminum is accepting the dye, but not completely.

I'd rather avoid using sulfuric acid if I can, so is there any acceptable substitute? All I want to do is work a dye into the metal, I can then varnish it wafterwards if needed.

Has anyone tried something other than sulfuric? Citric? Boric? Oxalic? Acetic? Could a caustic mixture be used for this purpose?

The anodizing looks nice so far, but it's not complete. Would it look better if I went over it with steel wool or something before..

Thanks guys
Have you looked it up on Google. Google is your friend. Full instructions are here.
http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize.html
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:28 pm

Technician1002 wrote:
inonickname wrote:Hey,

Thanks guys
Have you looked it up on Google. Google is your friend. Full instructions are here.
http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize.html
That's the point. I don't want to use sulfuric acid. I don't want to form aluminum hydrate, I simply want to work the dye into the metal.
PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
brogdenlaxmiddie
Corporal
Corporal

Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:34 am

sodium hydroxide? it solves all of my problems.... haha :twisted:
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:39 am

brogdenlaxmiddie wrote:sodium hydroxide? it solves all of my problems.... haha :twisted:
Great, that reacts with aluminum. :roll:

The new chamber is bubbling away in the solution, so i'll check soon and see what i end up with.
brogdenlaxmiddie
Corporal
Corporal

Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:02 am

Did you seriously put the aluminum in the sodium hydroxide?
I pray to god you didn't. If you did you need to take it out immediatly and get everyone out of your house. Keep all electricity and flames away from it!
hahaha
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:31 am

lol brogdenlaxmiddie... that was stupid
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:49 am

Course not brog, I aint retarded.

Caustic mixes don't work great, back to H2SO4 soon
mark.f
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4
Eritrea

Donating Members

Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:46 am

Why not just paint it?
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:54 am

mark.f wrote:Why not just paint it?
Paint looks rubbish, scratches and is not even unless it is airbrushed. If I were to paint it I'd coat it with epoxy and a colored powder. This one will just be polished and varnished.
THUNDERLORD
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:01 am

Scroll down to Aluminum Black...
Looks a lot cheaper than anodizing kits.

They also have "Brass Black" there, which I plan to use sometime, as well as blueing for steel or "Browning" for antique stuff.

It's probably a good idea to polish it to a shiny luster first using a buffer wheel and buffing compounds.

There's a technique I've been wanting to try for certain spots, where a cork fastened to a rod, inserted in a dremel, drill or other spinny thing, dipped in valve grinding compound or abrasive polish, then the circular swirls are overlapped...looks cool on knives, gun hammers, motorcycle frames/ parts, dash boards etc. IMO. 8)
-----SPEED,STRENGTH, AND ACCURACY.-----
"Procrastination" is five syllables for "Sloth".
Theopia 8)
Born To Be Alive!
mark.f
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4
Eritrea

Donating Members

Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:04 am

inonickname wrote:If I were to paint it I'd coat it with epoxy and a colored powder. This one will just be polished and varnished.
They make epoxy coatings for that, albeit not in your desired color range, probably.

And paint, when applied correctly, and matched to it's application, shouldn't peel or scratch easily or at all.

You could also try powder coating it if you're really ambitious. :wink:
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:06 am

I've already polished the parts and begun epoxying so it's a little late..

Maybe next time :lol:
spudtyrrant
Corporal
Corporal

Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:01 am

well you didn't mention chromic acid :lol:
Moonbogg
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3
United States of America

Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:58 am

You can purchase pre anodized tubing for very cheap. You can look around and might find some in blue. Tubing that small would only cost a few bucks for sure.