"Offtopic-posts-topic" NSFW

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:03 pm

velocity3x wrote:Anyone recognize this "Spud Gun", which now is no more than a lawn ornament?
That looks like the M65 "Atomic Annie" :)

You're lucky to live so close! Arizona sounds like ideal spudgun territory :)
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
velocity3x
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:08 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
velocity3x wrote:Anyone recognize this "Spud Gun", which now is no more than a lawn ornament?
That looks like the M65 "Atomic Annie" :)
You are correct, sir. Oddly enough...the name "Atomic Annie" or the word "Atomic" do not appear on the placard.
mark.f
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4
Eritrea

Donating Members

Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:17 pm

STHORNE wrote:
MrCrowley wrote:Since watching the movie Idi I Smotri the other week, I decided to tackle a bunch of WWII films that I had heard about but not seen. Today I got bored and made a list of all the WWII films that I can recall seeing:.......

Umm....Where's Forrest Gump my good sir? :o
facepalmheaddeskcombo
STHORNE
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Donating Members

Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:07 pm

Ohhh mark.f, how I missed you...
Forum Rules - follow them or else!
“Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence”
MrCrowley

Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:01 pm

STHORNE wrote:Umm....Where's Forrest Gump my good sir? :o
I wasn't including Vietnam war films :lol:
velocity3x
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:10 pm

Shortly after the Space Shuttle Columbia disaster, a related project was delivered to me. The project was to fabricate the body skins and ribs for the construction of a 1/3+/- scale Space Shuttle. It was called the "Launch Abort System". The new design had a large cavity in the back of the shuttle body that contained an explosive charge and about 3+ acres of parachute and the shuttle body was attach to steel sled of about 35,000lbs. The model was taken aloft to about 15,000 ft and ejected from the back of a C-130. The results were filmed from about 20 different cameras, angles and speeds. Although I had a set of plans and I did fabricate the body, I was not allowed to attend the test because.... I didn't have a security clearance!

My question is:
IF.... and I say IF you had a composite tape from all the cameras, it was devoid of warning of any kind and considering that the Space Shuttle program is now defunct.....would you feel comfortable to post it on youtube....IF you had such a tape?
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:53 pm

MrCrowley wrote:If they ever use an American sub as a German U-boat, I'll walk out of the film :D
A more modern film "Hunt for Red October" was partly filmed a few miles from me. The Russian sub sequences were filmed on the USS Blueback which is open for tours. If you are ever in the area, I highly recommend taking a tour.

The Wikipedia reference to the film is incomplete.
http://www.omsi.edu/submarine?gclid=CJv ... hwodBRF_Gw
MrCrowley

Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:18 pm

I do like that film but I have zero knowledge of post WWII subs so the America-Russian sub got by without me noticing :P

I watched Europa Europa last night (to cross it off my list), it was a fairly average film and I didn't care for it much. There was one scene when they had a plane strafe a bunch of civilians, including the main character, but it was so small and seemed to move with far too much response in the controls that it had to be a RC model air plane.

Sure enough:
When the Russian refugees are fleeing Poland and are strafed by a German fighter plane, the fighter plane is obviously a smaller scale radio controlled model. The airplane resembles a Supermarine Spitfire, an airplane not used by the Germans.
Check it out at 3:53
[youtube][/youtube]
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:32 pm

I actually touched one of these at MAKS in Moscow in 2009
what you touched was 9K22_Tunguska
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9K22_Tunguska

The thing I posted is Pantsir-S1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantsir

:wink:
this thing must have big### step motors/servos to traverse the turret
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:18 am

When it comes to truck based AAA, I hate to admit it but I quite like the Chinese approach:

velocity3x wrote:IF.... and I say IF you had a composite tape from all the cameras, it was devoid of warning of any kind and considering that the Space Shuttle program is now defunct.....would you feel comfortable to post it on youtube....IF you had such a tape?
If several copies had been distributed, and it was published on an anonymous account as a private listing... but why youtube? Vimeo, daily motion, something a little more obscure ;)
MrCrowley wrote:Check it out at 3:53
nice NSFW screenshot hehe
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
MrCrowley

Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:32 am

Don't watch the WWII film A Midnight Clear. Acted fine, filmed fine but has an awful storyline. How people think it is one of the best war films is beyond me. The plot revolves around a 6 person squad sent out in two jeeps to an unoccupied Mansion in the middle of the Ardennes, 'hours' from their front line. They encounter a group of Germans who want to surrender by staging a fake skirmish so their families don't get punished because they deserted.

Sorry for this public service announcement. Carry on.
mark.f
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4
Eritrea

Donating Members

Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:10 am

Isn't that film roughly the same general story as the real-life Christmas truce of 1914?
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:23 am

MrCrowley wrote:Don't watch the WWII film A Midnight Clear. Acted fine, filmed fine but has an awful storyline.
From the wiki article:
The Washington Post reviewer lauded it as "a war film completely unlike any other, a compelling accomplishment that's more soul than blood and bullets."
.. so basically a shítty war film. In the unlikely even that I wanted to see "soul", I would have picked another movie. What I want to see in a war film is blood and bullets.
warhead052
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3

Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:09 am

Damn it Crowley. Now you have me watching the Europa Europa movie! Thanks though, its not that bad.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:26 am

Not sure if awesome charity event or terribly irresponsible. Certainly could have been made less potentially dangerous using a suitable pneumatic.