Navy Railgun....

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
JDP12
Staff Sergeant 5
Staff Sergeant 5

Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:26 pm

This should be within the rules... and I think some of our members such as DYI would enjoy this

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/12/ ... tromagnet/
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:29 pm

Already linked to in the XM25 thread ;)
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
JDP12
Staff Sergeant 5
Staff Sergeant 5

Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:33 pm

dangit.........
wyz2285
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2
Austria

Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:26 pm

I have built a lot of rail guns and coil guns :) The only good thing about it it's completely silence, but less powerful and heavy :x
DYI
First Sergeant 5
First Sergeant 5
Antigua & Barbuda

Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:45 pm

My question here is whether the energies they're throwing around are bank energies or muzzle energies. A railgun of this size may be 50% efficient, but that's still a big difference.

Either way, assuming they can solve the barrel life issue, this could be a fairly effective naval weapon.
I have built a lot of rail guns and coil guns. The only good thing about it it's completely silence, but less powerful and heavy
I'll agree that coilguns are quiet (at least the anemic, subsonic reluctance designs that people tend to build for some reason... :roll: ), but railguns? Assuming that you're talking about the inherent firing noise, and not bringing silencers and such into the mix, how the hell would you build a silent railgun?
Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
wyz2285
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2
Austria

Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:56 pm

DYI wrote: I'll agree that coilguns are quiet (at least the anemic, subsonic reluctance designs that people tend to build for some reason... :roll: ), but railguns? Assuming that you're talking about the inherent firing noise, and not bringing silencers and such into the mix, how the hell would you build a silent railgun?
Ops my bad, i meant principally to coil guns. But rail guns aren't very noisy either. But the way do you have any good electromagnetic weapons? Would like to learn more about them :)
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:06 am

wyz2285 wrote:But rail guns aren't very noisy either.
The point of electromagnetic weapons is that you can throw projectiles really fast, far beyond what can be achieved with conventional explosive propellant, so even if the launch system was silent, the noise from the projectile ripping through the air would be significant.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:20 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
The point of electromagnetic weapons is that you can throw projectiles really fast, far beyond what can be achieved with conventional explosive propellant, so even if the launch system was silent, the noise from the projectile ripping through the air would be significant.
Railguns are noisy. Boosting in amateur railguns is often done by pressurized gas. In professional guns, it's done with high end conventional propellants, often HE. It's loud.
PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:19 am

DYI wrote:My question here is whether the energies they're throwing around are bank energies or muzzle energies. A railgun of this size may be 50% efficient, but that's still a big difference.
That's muzzle energy.

There was the question about this last time of whether the "10 Megajoule" figure was muzzle or bank energy - it was found to be muzzle energy.
And if their over three times statement is correct - well, this'd be muzzle energy too. (The general wording implies that anyway, but the relationship between the K.E. values pretty much confirms it).
Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
wyz2285
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2
Austria

Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:05 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
Well I agree with that, they do accelerate projectiles to a very high speed, but I haven't reach super sonic yet lol
rp181
Sergeant
Sergeant

Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:22 am

Im late here,but:

Navy railgun's have a quite long rail life. A smaller 12MJ navy railgun I saw regularly fired 10+ shots in one set of rails, they used steel liners. I don't know technical specs, but the targets were 6 1" thick steel plates spaced about half a inch in a vacuum chamber. It would pierce the first 5 and the projectile would be stopped. Projectile was a typical Aluminum U with a Lexan front end.
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:02 am

In regards to the sound of objectes traveling over Mach1, here is a HS clip of a window as the Navy Blue Angles passed by. The myth was can a sonic boom break windows?

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... gle-4.html
I'm old enough to remeber booms before they were outlawed over the US. They can and did break windows.
CpTn_lAw
Corporal 5
Corporal 5

Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:46 am

That was from a F-18 at very low altitude, the pressure wave generated by its motion is far superior to what a considerably smaller projectile can do! The intensity of the "boom" report in a sonic bang in proportional to the volume of the object travelling ≥ S.O.S. . A navy projectile is much much smaller!
http://ftp.rta.nato.int/public/PubFullt ... 004-06.pdf
"J'mets mes pieds où j'veux, et c'est souvent dans la gueule."
DYI
First Sergeant 5
First Sergeant 5
Antigua & Barbuda

Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:49 am

A navy projectile is much much smaller!
At several kilometres per second, it's also much, much faster :wink:

Speed has a very significant effect on the "sonic boom", just as volume and geometry do. In all likelihood though, the majority of the firing noise of one of these big railguns would be, just as it is with more conventional weapons, the muzzle blast. Unless they've managed to get the current waveform passing through zero right as the round leaves the muzzle (which would not, so far as I can tell, be good for efficiency), there's going to be a huge, MA range arc appearing when the slug leaves the rails. As loud as the muzzle blast from a 155mm gun using a few kilos of solid propellant? Probably not, but very loud nonetheless.
Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
Temple
Private 2
Private 2

Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:00 am

My wife works on the railgun project at Dahlgren and up until a month ago I worked at Dahlgren myself.

I can tell you they do not "boost" the projectile from a static start the projectile accelerates to mach7 at max power. As for noise, that thing ROCKS!!!

If you want to see lots of cool videos go to youtube and search Dahlgren railgun.

Sorry to bring up an old post, I just think this is a cool topic.