Table Saw Invention

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
saefroch
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:04 pm

I don't mean this to be insulting to anyone, but I find it ironic that we were having a discussion about table saws recently, and this video appeared on Wimp.com. Just thought I'd share.

[youtube][/youtube]
boyntonstu
Sergeant
Sergeant

Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:10 pm

saefroch wrote:I don't mean this to be insulting to anyone, but I find it ironic that we were having a discussion about table saws recently, and this video appeared on Wimp.com. Just thought I'd share.

[youtube][/youtube]
Nice knowing that when your finger touches the saw blade, the safety mechanism destroys the blade and saves your finger.

Do you know the price of that saw?

Might a design that prevents you from ever getting your fingers close to the blade be slightly better and more cost effective?
saefroch
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:16 pm

In the video a price is cited as $60.

As there is no known method today to regrow lost limbs, I think we can all say that fingers are priceless, and that this is pretty cost-effective. The benefit of this design is that it's almost completely idiot-proof. I've never seen an effective way to prevent somebody from touching a saw blade. Have you? This method retracts and stops the blade so it cannot cause harm.
boyntonstu
Sergeant
Sergeant

Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:39 pm

SawStop Contractor Saw CNS175-SFA30 10-Inch w/ 30-Inch Aluminum Extrusion Fence System

SKU# 16900031

BLMTLH-H-B

169-CNS175SFA30

Be the first to review this product

Availability:: In stock
$1,599.99

The cartridge is $69 and you need to buy a new blade.

How many on this forum would shell out $1,600 for a table saw that can't cut damp wood?
LeMaudit
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Donating Members

Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:50 pm

Wow, thanks for sharing the video... absolutely incredible... :shock: 8)
Gun Freak
Lieutenant 5
Lieutenant 5

Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:58 pm

That is so cool... great creation.
OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
boyntonstu
Sergeant
Sergeant

Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:19 pm

LeMaudit wrote:Wow, thanks for sharing the video... absolutely incredible... :shock: 8)
Please post a video when it comes in.
Lockednloaded
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
United States of America

Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:33 pm

boyntonstu wrote:SawStop Contractor Saw CNS175-SFA30 10-Inch w/ 30-Inch Aluminum Extrusion Fence System

SKU# 16900031

BLMTLH-H-B

169-CNS175SFA30

$1,599.99

How many on this forum would shell out $1,600 for a table saw that can't cut damp wood?
You have zero grounds on which to judge its cutting ability, and as far as price... I know I'd pay 1,600 dollars for my appendages, after all, I use them almost everyday :lol:
Gun Freak
Lieutenant 5
Lieutenant 5

Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:37 pm

That guy drenched his hand in salt water though... I wonder how it would do with a normal finger... or are you supposed to use it with a salty finger?
OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
boyntonstu
Sergeant
Sergeant

Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:05 pm

Lockednloaded wrote:
boyntonstu wrote:SawStop Contractor Saw CNS175-SFA30 10-Inch w/ 30-Inch Aluminum Extrusion Fence System

SKU# 16900031

BLMTLH-H-B

169-CNS175SFA30

$1,599.99

You have zero grounds on which to judge its cutting ability, and as far as price... I know I'd pay 1,600 dollars for my appendages, after all, I use them almost everyday :lol:
Please list the safe tools that you invested in to protect your fingers.

Is your car equipped with a 5 point harness and a rollover bar?

Is your life worth a $1,000 investment?

What good are your fingers without a head?
Lockednloaded
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
United States of America

Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:15 pm

boyntonstu wrote:Please list the safe tools that you invested in to protect your fingers.

Is your car equipped with a 5 point harness and a rollover bar?

What good are your fingers without a head?
*hjhgghghfghhgjhjjyhdfx*...sigh...

I personally don't own a whole lot of power tools, but the ones I do use, hand-drill and rotary tool, are exponentially less dangerous than a large saw rotating a several thousand RPMs in direct line with my hand. That aside, I still take precautions such as thick working gloves and clamps to hold things instead of my hands.

To say cars are not equipped with safety devices is just plain stupid. Sure I don't go everywhere in a tank, but I fell confident in the thousands of safety precautions that cars have

But this is the last thing I have to say about this, I feel like I'm arguing with a brick wall
saefroch
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:16 pm

In regards to the price: It's still very expensive, but I'd think you value your fingers at a price higher than $120 (estimated prices of a cartridge and blade). I'd expect that a device as simple as the SawStop would last for a lifetime.

I'm not entirely sure if it was salt water he was putting his finger in. But if you did notice, the frank was dry, but did get nicked. A nick and $120 is preferable to me over a lost finger.
boyntonstu wrote:Please post a video when it comes in.
That confuses me. The video referred to is the one in my original post, I believe.

Sorry I didn't address this earlier.
boyntonstu wrote:Is your car equipped with a 5 point harness and a rollover bar?
How easy are these to install into a modern car? Where can you buy one and have it installed? Are they even necessary? Car crashes have a .67% fatality rate, accidents with a table saw involving a finger have about a 100% chance of serious bodily harm.
Last edited by saefroch on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boyntonstu
Sergeant
Sergeant

Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:35 pm

Lockednloaded wrote:
But this is the last thing I have to say about this, I feel like I'm arguing with a brick wall
When you car argues with a brick wall at 60 MPH,think about a NASCAR driver going 210 MPH hitting a brick wall and walking away.

Cars have terrible safety devices in comparison.

They are a joke.

If you believe that your life has value why drive in a car that has 25,000 deaths per year?

IMHO If they had NASCAR-like safety systems, the fatalities would be less than 1,000.

"How easy are these to install into a modern car? Where can you buy one and have it installed?"

If you drag race the 1/4 mile in less than 12 seconds you must have a rollover bar and a 5 point harness to race. Shade tree mechanics install them for a few hundred bucks.

We are not serious about auto safety, only convenience.

Are chain saws, lawnmowers, and snow blowers less dangerous than table saws?
Last edited by boyntonstu on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saefroch
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:38 pm

One doesn't routinely place one's fingers very close to a running chainsaw blade, lawnmower blade, or snowblower blade.

Unless one is exceedingly stupid.
Lockednloaded
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
United States of America

Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:42 pm

Saefroch, save your words. Have ever seen boyntonstu listen to even the most well thought out arguments? he's denser then a blackhole