New toy

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Mon May 09, 2011 7:06 am

2011 PSE Brute HP 60-70#

80ft-lbs at 295 feet per second, 410 grain arrow :shock:

Cobra Diamondback fall away rest, PSE Bowsling, vibracheck setup, vibracheck stabilizer, PSE 3 pin fiber optic sight, vibracheck backstop and so on...

It's dead in the hand, you barely even feel or hear it shoot. The fall away rest hits the riser and makes a little ting, but a piece of felt will fix that.
PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
Crna Legija
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Mon May 09, 2011 7:21 am

looks great, one question though when you draw a compound bow does it feel like you pulling back the 60lbs?
'' To alcohol... The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.”
--Homer Simpson

Add me on ps3: wannafuk, 8/11/11 cant wait
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Mon May 09, 2011 8:01 am

Not awful, but certainly don't start on a 70-60# compound bow. 70 Pounds is roughly 32kg, or 310 newtons. So imagine lifting a 32kg dumbell purely by your back muscles (between your shoulders). Compounds aren't so bad as when you reach full draw the bow lets off, and you only hold 10# or so until you let the bow down or fire it.

While one draw isn't so hard, in a mornings shooting I can shoot well upwards of 100 shots, so good strength and fitness is important.
PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Mon May 09, 2011 10:03 am

Unless you are fit, start with a 35lb compound bow. Pull is reasonable if you are not in great shape and the notch when at full pull reduces the shakes.
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Mon May 09, 2011 10:22 am

Technician1002 wrote:Unless you are fit, start with a 35lb compound bow. Pull is reasonable if you are not in great shape and the notch when at full pull reduces the shakes.
Definitely. You might go to a shop once, draw a 70# bow and think it wasn't so bad. Now you probably wont be able to draw the same bow back 100+ times.

You need good strength, fitness and shooting form to shoot a heavy bow for long.
Crna Legija
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Mon May 09, 2011 10:28 am

I was't planing on getting a bow, just wanted to see, do you need a gun license to buy a compound bow in Australia? Just googled it and looks like you don't
'' To alcohol... The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.”
--Homer Simpson

Add me on ps3: wannafuk, 8/11/11 cant wait
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Mon May 09, 2011 6:34 pm

Crna Legija wrote:I was't planing on getting a bow, just wanted to see, do you need a gun license to buy a compound bow in Australia? Just googled it and looks like you don't
Nope, completely OTC. You'll need a licence for a crossbow, but compounds/recurves/longbows don't need any licencing.
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Mon May 09, 2011 6:43 pm

What? No slow mo damage video? You tease...
Zeus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Mon May 09, 2011 6:51 pm

Well I must envy you, it's a very nice unit, I just need to aquire moneys for $11 arrows.

Just out of interest, I don't believe wooden arrows would stand up to 50-60# would they?
/sarcasm, /hyperbole
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Tue May 10, 2011 3:23 am

Zeus wrote:Well I must envy you, it's a very nice unit, I just need to aquire moneys for $11 arrows.

Just out of interest, I don't believe wooden arrows would stand up to 50-60# would they?
Wooden arrows were used up to 200# in English Longbows. However, wooden arrows should never be used in any compound bow, with perhaps the exception of the lightest, smallest child's bows. Wood isn't suitable for the stresses a compound bow will produce.

And I feel your pain about the arrows, I have a dozen Easton's coming in the mail now :roll:

Anyone else got some bows they'd like to share?
Insomniac
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Tue May 10, 2011 6:37 am

Just to show the danger of using the wrong arrows, take a look at this picture. It's somewhat graphic, and shows an archer's hand that was hit when his carbon fiber arrow broke upon firing, either because it was damaged or because it was not rated for such a strong bow...

http://img.webme.com/pic/g/geelongarche ... nhand2.jpg

Nasty. Flex arrows before you shoot them so you can tell if they're damaged!
I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.

Add me on msn!!! insomniac-55@hotmail.com
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Tue May 10, 2011 9:41 am

Insomniac wrote:Just to show the danger of using the wrong arrows, take a look at this picture. It's somewhat graphic, and shows an archer's hand that was hit when his carbon fiber arrow broke upon firing, either because it was damaged or because it was not rated for such a strong bow...

http://img.webme.com/pic/g/geelongarche ... nhand2.jpg

Nasty. Flex arrows before you shoot them so you can tell if they're damaged!
I've seen a few of these cases surface online, and it's almost always due to the arrow being damaged and not checked. It's not just carbons that can fail like this, I've seen pictures of an aluminium arrow that failed in a similar way. That said, carbon will do the most damage. You'll get a bunch of slivers shot into your hand, which will have to be removed with complex surgery and be monitored for a long time to make sure the carbon hasn't ended up anywhere else in your body.

But you do get a nice settlement from Easton :roll:

Take care of your arrows!
Insomniac
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Wed May 11, 2011 5:40 am

Yeah. Before I'd seen pictures of what could happen, it hadn't even crossed my mind that a bowstring could accelerate an arrow with such speed it could snap due to its inertia. (Though I have never owned a bow, so I hadn't given it much thought). It made me a bit more careful with my friend's compound bow, however.
I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.

Add me on msn!!! insomniac-55@hotmail.com
Fnord
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Wed May 11, 2011 6:44 pm

Wood isn't suitable for the stresses a compound bow will produce.
I never had a problem with wood arrows in a 55-lb compound. The highest stress point is the string trying to split the grain apart at the nock, which won't happen if you do the fletchings properly.

But yeah, you're better off buying carbon arrows if you just want to practice. They're more accurate at long range, and making arrows takes a lot of patience!
Zeus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Wed May 11, 2011 7:46 pm

I just asked as wooden arrows are only $4, so I don't mind losing them to (small game) whereas Al and carbon fibre arrows are $10 and $11 respectively.

The bit in brackets is for those who don't want to see hunting references, I figured it's ok as rather destructive arrowheads were a topic earlier.
/sarcasm, /hyperbole