Headphone advice

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
JDP12
Staff Sergeant 5
Staff Sergeant 5

Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:21 pm

Hey all- I've gone thru a couple sets of headphones- skullcandy lowercase and a set of sonys.

I'm looking for a good pair of over ear or on ear headphones for somewhere around 100-150 dollars. I've considered skullcandy hesh, beats solo by dr. Dre, and a couple others.

I mostly listen to rap, and electronic/ techno, so I'll need good bass. Im very attracted to the beats solo, but I've heard different things, some ppl love em, others not as much.

I'm leanIng to the beats solo as I've hear the bass is extremely good and try are excellent for the music I listen to

Any input would be appreciated thanks
"Some say his pet elephant is pink, and that he has no understanding of "PG rated forum". All we know is, he's called JSR. "
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:52 pm

Phillips!!!! I kid you not. Any model of the noise canceling branch of the family will make your ears bleed.
JDP12
Staff Sergeant 5
Staff Sergeant 5

Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:00 pm

Alright. My phones being retarded right now, any models you'd recommend specfically? Good bass?

After Doin some more lookin I think I'm gonna go with the beats solo. Theyre (insert expletive here) expensive, but I want wualitythat will last and be able to handle the bass
"Some say his pet elephant is pink, and that he has no understanding of "PG rated forum". All we know is, he's called JSR. "
saefroch
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:34 pm

Bose. I don't know if you'll be able to find any good ones in your price range, but I listen to metal, and they handle the bass quite well. I've yet to have any durability or wear issues.
JDP12
Staff Sergeant 5
Staff Sergeant 5

Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:56 pm

Eh, I've tried Bose, I think they are massively overpriced personally
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:01 pm

If you are into realistic sound, avoid the Bose. They are into direct/reflected sound which adds lots of coloration. Some music needs that to take out the harshness though. If you are serious about sound, find a place that has supplies for a recording studio. This will get you past most of the lightweight easily broken consumer crap.

Start here. http://www.headphone.com/selection-guid ... studio.php
The three major requirements for headphones in the rough and tumble world of professional use are 1) the headphones must sound good and have a fairly flat response; 2) they should be closed so that the listener is isolated from ambient sound; and 3) they need to be durable enough to survive a working environment.
These work well and are in your price range.
http://www.headphone.com/brands/shure-srh440.php
JDP12
Staff Sergeant 5
Staff Sergeant 5

Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:10 pm

Funny you mention that link I was just lookin on that same page as I'm going to be getting a dj job at school haha. Would u say dj headphones are good for everyday as well? I read somewhere they arent
mattyzip77
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3
United States of America

Donating Members

Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:23 pm

Bose is the best sound quality that there is! They are pricey, but you get what you pay for. I have the bose acoustimass 10 series, and a old pair of jvc tower speakers powered by a $899 dollar denon receiver! Sound is unbelievable!!!!
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:24 pm

DJ headphones are more designed to exclude ambient noise and allow you to queue up the next song. They are not designed to be studio sound. For this reason you are correct, they are generally not high sound quality. They sound OK, but don't use them to tweak a sound board for master recording.

@ Matty, are you serious? LOL. What a miss match. Like using a Cadillac to tow a Youhaul trailer..
Last edited by Technician1002 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JDP12
Staff Sergeant 5
Staff Sergeant 5

Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:28 pm

Tech- do you have any experience with the beats by dre? I personally like them as headphones for just listening to music, especially music with alot of bass. Just wanted to see if anyone else like them as well
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:31 pm

Haven't used them.. Sorry. Most of my gear is much older as I bought quality and haven't broken it yet. My receiver is 250 Watts per channel both channels driven with a THD under 0.005% You don't find that spec much in newer equipment. Clean lots of punch and flat to under 20 HZ and above 50Khz in the main amp. No distortion, no noise. Love it that way.
mattyzip77
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3
United States of America

Donating Members

Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:45 pm

Technician1002 wrote:DJ headphones are more designed to exclude ambient noise and allow you to queue up the next song. They are not designed to be studio sound. For this reason you are correct, they are generally not high sound quality. They sound OK, but don't use them to tweak a sound board for master recording.

@ Matty, are you serious? LOL. What a miss match. Like using a Cadillac to tow a Youhaul trailer..
You would have to hear it dude!! 7.1 surround on the receiver, I listen to alot of hard rock, and listening to Metallica sitting on my couch feels like you are at a concert!!! Last time I checked, denon and bose were top of the line!!
JDP12
Staff Sergeant 5
Staff Sergeant 5

Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:13 pm

Alright cool thanks. Imma go to best buy, try em on again just to make sure I still like how they fit and then prolly buy a pair of beats solo. They are very high quality and have great bass
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:32 pm

Metalica is high distortion source material. A little added by your sound system makes it sound more original. What your system won't do is play the ring of an old analog phone bell and convince many in the room to go pick up the phone that isn't ringing. Mine can do that.
saefroch
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:43 pm

mattyzip77 wrote:
Technician1002 wrote:DJ headphones are more designed to exclude ambient noise and allow you to queue up the next song. They are not designed to be studio sound. For this reason you are correct, they are generally not high sound quality. They sound OK, but don't use them to tweak a sound board for master recording.

You would have to hear it dude!! 7.1 surround on the receiver, I listen to alot of hard rock, and listening to Metallica sitting on my couch feels like you are at a concert!!! Last time I checked, denon and bose were top of the line!!
Metallica isn't exactly quality music, and you'll know if you've ever been to a real metal concert you'd know that the sound clarity isn't any better than that of a cheap pair of headphones.