robot tank

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
ness644
Private 3
Private 3

Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:42 am

well after my house got hit by lighting most of the stuff in the house blew up so i took a part all the dvds players and cd players all that kinda stuff so now i am left with a heap of wires and motors and leds stuff like that.

so now i am making a robot tank with the motors and i am buyying the tank tracks of the net.

the reason i am making a tank is....

1.a car steering would be hard to make.
2.tanks can climb over nearly anything.
3. the steering on a tank it easyer to make then car steering.
4. tanks are cool!!!!!

well i need help to make it the best robot tank any ideas are welcome!!!!!

p.s sorry for the bad spelling
ShowNoMercy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:48 am

For one, any motor found from a DVD or CD player will not have the sufficient torque to porpel a tank of any size really anywhere. Also how are you planning on controlling this "tank" , are you gonna hardwire it or us remote control? Also how do you plan on powering it? And finnally it is easier to make something like a car's steering system, a tank will require brakes and or lots of motors for each side. Which would then require a few motor controllers which can in turn cause the price to jump a bit.
Jesus saves, no need to pray
The gates of pearl have turned to gold
It seems you've lost your way
ness644
Private 3
Private 3

Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:58 am

well i ave got more then one motor and 2 of them are drill motor which my dad says the drill motors are fine for the tank its only a little robot like not big one and my dad well set up the motor controllers and 2 tank tracks only need a motor each and i ave made brakes for it

i ave got it all planed for really its only things like i need ideas for are the weapons and stuff like that i need plans for.

p.s sorry for the bad spelling and plz don't post a comment saying its not going to work.
ShowNoMercy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:01 am

Well from what you posted it sounded like it would not work, however with drill motors it will. My friend in high school was in a robot building club and they used drill motors, try and get the whole assembly, then you have a slipper clultch and a quasi transmission. My bad for being so harsh. Good luck.
Jesus saves, no need to pray
The gates of pearl have turned to gold
It seems you've lost your way
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:52 am

You can buy one of these tanks really cheaply and use the electrics for your project, it would save you a lot of work and buying expensive servos and receivers etc.
Last edited by jackssmirkingrevenge on Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
ness644
Private 3
Private 3

Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:44 am

well my dad gots lots of parts for makin robots so i am ok for parts so any ideas how to make a gun or weapon for it?
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:58 am

Well, you definitely need a weapon that can fire more than one shot, and that can be electronically actuated. Personally I would suggest a cloud BBMG with a solenoid valve instead of the more commonly used blowgun and a laser for sighting... unless you want to go really high tech and get a small CCTV camera to aim with.

The problem is you'd need a considerable amount of air to make it viable, maybe pack 6 x 2 litre soda bottles into a sort of trailer the tank can pull around - that or use a regulated HPA or CO2 bottle.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
ness644
Private 3
Private 3

Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:05 pm

good idea but the trailer wud have to be made so it go off road with my tank.

got any websites i can get motor i am thinking aboot makin a trailer with a motor and tank tracks it wud work as a off road trailer i think :idea:

p.s soz for the bad spelling
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:16 pm

something like this then :P

Personally I think motorising the trailer is an unnecessary complication, it's a tough enough project as it is.
ness644
Private 3
Private 3

Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:29 pm

yeah something like that!!!!!!!!! i just need to tryin and make some kind of link in the middle of the trailer and tank something that can turn side to side when its going off road kinda hard to tell u wat i mean!!
ness644
Private 3
Private 3

Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:14 pm

well so far its going petty good only thing is i need to get a cheap r/c 24v battery i am spendin up to 30pound to get one but so far can't find one. the gun is still to be made i think i might make it soon i dunno!!!

p.s soz for the bad spelling
lukemc
Corporal
Corporal

Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:33 pm

in stead of a cloud that would suck up tons of air and time pumping back up make or buy one of these http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/cubegoodies/86b8/ then mod it to be like this http://www.inventgeek.com/Projects/usba ... rview.aspx
that way it could be battery operated and even though it would lose overall power it would work much more eficiently
"Those who are different change the world. Those who are the same keep it that way"
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:53 pm

For your weapon, get a cheap air soft electric fired and take it apart and configure it to your tank, you can get them from ebay for like 20 dollars u.s. Everything you need will be there, just adapt it to your tank.
ness644
Private 3
Private 3

Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:00 pm

ok i realy need to find a r/c 24 volt battery or maybe a 24volt drill battery!!! :)

p.s soz for bad spelling
pyromaniac
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:11 pm

For the wepon make a propane injected, chamber fanned, stun gun ignitioned combustion for the barrel of the tank.
If you can get a couple extra motors make it have 2 drils comeing out of the front.
:pottytrain3: