tri-valve pneumatic

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
MaxuS the 2nd
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:27 pm

Another case of 'Optimistic Guesstimation'. It should have it's own term it's being used so frequently now.
dinsdale
Private 4
Private 4

Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:53 pm

I have to admit i havent measured the distances, but i know i am getting well past 1000 yards with shaped and saboted projectiles, this is aiming at about 45 degrees up from a slightly elevated location. not all projectiles fly that far,
if they tumble whatsoever they wont go as far, and actually i dont know if i've actually sent a potato that far, but with some of the wax slugs, i am certain i have cleared 1500 yards at a very conservative estimate.
DYI
First Sergeant 5
First Sergeant 5
Antigua & Barbuda

Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:26 pm

Are you sure that you aren't mistaking feet for yards? Because if you could fire a wax slug fast enought to travel nearly 1 mile, there's no way in hell that you'd be able to see any part of it's flight path, unless it was set up as a tracer round. You'd also never be able to find it without some very exceptional circumstances.

Could you do us a favor, and GGDT this gun you speak of? Simply enter all the stats, then go to the external ballistics calculator, enter your projectile information, and click the "Calc Trajectory" button. If you show us all this, and it spits out a range of 4500 feet or more, then we might believe you. Until then, your claims seem ridiculous.
Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
EGOed
Private 4
Private 4

Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:22 pm

Even if he made a mistake and really meant in feet , this would be unbelievable.
dinsdale
Private 4
Private 4

Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:12 am

look, i'm not here to argue about the performance of the cannon i already have, and i dont really care whether people beleive me on how it performs.
(and yes i meant yards, not feet) the point of this thread was to toss around the idea of the triple valve idea and to see what input i could get.
i'm not on here to brag, i'm here to learn.

btw, when i mention shooting further than 1000 yards i'm angling the cannon skyward to arc the projectile over, i'm not shooting in a straight line (which is the way the GGDT would calculate it)
MrCrowley

Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:19 am

dinsdale wrote:look, i'm not here to argue about the performance of the cannon i already have, and i dont really care whether people beleive me on how it performs.
(and yes i meant yards, not feet) the point of this thread was to toss around the idea of the triple valve idea and to see what input i could get.
i'm not on here to brag, i'm here to learn.

btw, when i mention shooting further than 1000 yards i'm angling the cannon skyward to arc the projectile over, i'm not shooting in a straight line (which is the way the GGDT would calculate it)
Your cannon wont shoot 1000yards. Simple as that.

And no, GGDT finds the optimum angle and uses that, or you can manually change it. Usually 33 degree's is the best.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:25 am

dinsdale wrote:i was going to post pics of my idea but i dont have an image hosting site set up.
You can use the spudfiles uploader
i have an inline abs pneumatic with a 3/4 inch orbit sprinkler valve rated at 80 psi, i have taken this cannon past 160 psi probably well over a hundred times. and i can launch a potato 2000 yards+ from a 2 inch barrel with this setup.

This is a highly unlikely figure, if you're going to make outrageous claims like that you're going to have to give a measured distance, not a guesstimate.
I don't like burst disks either, i want it to fire the instant i trigger it, not delayed
hence the triggered burst disk :wink:
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life