Peacemaker MK2 (Water cannon)

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
Lokoyo
Private 3
Private 3

Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:43 pm

Its not all that fun when having a spudgun and a pool. The good, a source of water (water cannon) and fun (swimming). The really big downside, lots of my ammo fall into the water and I have to get them out using a clumsy skimmer. Luckily the patio is long enough (around 55 ft) so I have a mini shooting range for small stuff (my dad gets mad because he doesn't want to fix the screen again)
Shadowscion
Private 3
Private 3

Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:21 pm

Lokoyo wrote:How big was the cannon? I can't imagine this cannon breaking bones. Injuried for a few minutes/hours maybe but not breaking bones O.o
The cannon had a 6ft~ 1.5" barrel and a 2.5ft 2" chamber. It was an over-under. The part that hit my foot was the two 2" elbows, which actually cracked upon impact. I was showing off to a friend because I had just built it. Needless to say do not underestimate any cannon you might build, they are very powerful devices. I was not gripping the gun very firm and as I pulled the trigger, the weight of the water was so heavy that I assume it was actually easier for the air to send the entire gun flying downward, instead of the water up and out. BOOM. Broke my foot, my cannon, and the valve in a split second.
Lokoyo
Private 3
Private 3

Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:16 pm

Shadowscion wrote:
Lokoyo wrote:How big was the cannon? I can't imagine this cannon breaking bones. Injuried for a few minutes/hours maybe but not breaking bones O.o
The cannon had a 6ft~ 1.5" barrel and a 2.5ft 2" chamber. It was an over-under. The part that hit my foot was the two 2" elbows, which actually cracked upon impact. I was showing off to a friend because I had just built it. Needless to say do not underestimate any cannon you might build, they are very powerful devices. I was not gripping the gun very firm and as I pulled the trigger, the weight of the water was so heavy that I assume it was actually easier for the air to send the entire gun flying downward, instead of the water up and out. BOOM. Broke my foot, my cannon, and the valve in a split second.
I guess I did the right thing then, I used an approx. 4:1 CB ratio.
I had 14ft~ 2" chamber and 4ft~ 2" barrel w/ nozzle to 1.5".

Thus, I had more force behind the water allowing easier escape for the water. My recoil is not that bad. I would barely hold on to it. I let the back of cannon slide on the ground, I use my left hand for the ball valve and my right holds the barrel up in the air (if not the water falls out) and when I fire, the cannon easily slips out of my hand and slides like 2-3 feet back.

Lesson learned: When creating a pneumatic cannon used for water, don't use a low C:B ratio
psycix
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4

Donating Members

Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:23 am

What does it slide on? On the back elbow?
Make sure that you are not sanding the thing down by sliding, because one day the elbow will fail.
Attach some stuff on it to slide on.
Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
Lokoyo
Private 3
Private 3

Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:56 pm

Will, do it slides on the 2 T's and the piece between the two T's :P If it is scratching, I'll add padding

P.S.
It weights quite a bit (20lb+ probably):P yet I could run with it
psycix
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4

Donating Members

Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:52 am

If it is scratching the damage is already done... I suggest to add padding right away.

Lokoyo
Private 3
Private 3

Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:57 pm

Can't wait for sunday, it's gonna be a water war (For all the Thai people out there, It's Songkran)
psycix
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4

Donating Members

Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:19 am

Dont fire directly at people. Just shoot it upwards and let it rain down on them.
Have fun!

Lokoyo
Private 3
Private 3

Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:04 pm

psycix wrote:Dont fire directly at people. Just shoot it upwards and let it rain down on them.
Have fun!
Too late :P I got several compliments from adults and they asked questions. I met another spudgunner who made combustions. I did the opposite of what psycix said and no one got hurt at all. It was at 10-20 PSI, thus the water is slight more powerful than pouring a bucket of water.