2" Barrel Sealing Tee Cannon

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
frogy
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:11 pm

I don't understand that? Make sure your pilot volume is too big?
That just means I need a larger pilot hole to vent it...

I'm going to remake this valve tomorrow I think... I need to buy 10 feet of 2" PVC though... It's only $1.73 for a 2" Tee (Slip x Thread x Slip) at Lowes... Then $11 or so for 10' of 2" NSF-PW...

How is your piston serviceable? If your piston seals the inside of a 2" tee, wouldn't it bee too big for a 2" pipe? Or does the 1-1/4" coupler fit well in 2" pipe?

I may make the next attempt a 1.5" barrel porting if I seal it like yours... I may just keep it non-serviceable, but with a 2" to 1" (slip x thread) bushing instead of an end plug for the backside...

If I'm going to make it serviceable with a piston that fits 2" pipe, I'll need to buy a 2" female, a 2" male, and a 2" to 1" (slip x thread)... What's the point in making it serviceable, if I can make another whole valve for the price of a 2" female and 2" male :P
-FrOgY-

I wish people would stop needing a better signature!
elitesniper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:15 pm

look at the thread i posted for you it shows were it seal and stuff, and yes 1 1/4 couplers fit perfectly in 2'' sch 40
daberno123
Corporal
Corporal

Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:20 pm

Really i had to wrap about three rounds of duct tape around mine to get it to seal. i used two 1.25" caps but they should be the same width.
mark.f
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4
Eritrea

Donating Members

Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:59 am

All this ranting about pilot volume lately baffles me. Just get a bigger pilot valve. :wink: Works every time. My piston valve launcher uses a 1/4" Q.E.V. to vent a pilot volume composed of a piece of pipe, 2" female adapter, and threaded plug. That, and make sure your piston seals fairly decently, (duct tape is your friend when it comes to this...)

As for the 5/4" fittings, they do fit into SCH-40, but they do not fit "perfectly". They wiggle a little. Not a problem for longer pistons, but for shorter ones you need some sort of ring or wrapping to keep it straight. Also, a few wraps of duct tape are required to seal well enough.

The good thing about using 5/4" fittings for a piston is that you can leave a space between two fittings, (with pipe between), and install O-rings. I was using this method for a piston valve last year for a robot, but I wound up scrapping that valve because the back plug was metal, on PVC. The piston sealed perfectly, though.
frogy
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:33 pm

If the piston seals tightly, how will the air equalize into the chamber?

I'm making my own pilot valve, because I don't feel like buying a sprinkler valve to mod it... QEVs\BSTs are much better pilot valves anyway... For a lot cheaper...

As of now I'm buying a 2" tee (s x s x t), 2" male, 2" female, 2" to 1" bushing (s x t), 2" to 1 or 1.5" bushing (s x s), a 1 or 1.5" female, and a 5/4" coupler... The 1/1.5" decision is decided on whichever porting I decide on...

will be getting parts in a few hours from Lowes :P
-FrOgY-

daberno123
Corporal
Corporal

Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:56 pm

watch the 2" female.

the only ones i could find at lowes were DWV

Go with 1.5" porting
frogy
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:27 am

I bought everything last night. Most of it is assembled minus the tee->female , the barrel porting, and the homemade qev's (small BST's) 1" male...

My pipe cutter only goes to 3/4" (ya, I know, sad)... So I have to borrow my neighbors, and I didn't feel like going over at 9:00 PM...

By the way, my new design is 1.5" porting... I hope my 1" homemade BST turns out as a good pilot valve...

Probably will post pictures later today.
-FrOgY-

frogy
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:12 pm

Ok. I have to say quite a bit has been done with this gone since my last post... From rebuilding small homemade QEV's to get one that works, to using a sprinkler valve, to breaking my pistons multiple times...

Gun Update:
Typed on front pages, but images posted here...

-FrOgY-

elitesniper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:26 pm

looks like mine :wink: good job.
frogy
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:32 pm

Ya I thought it would end up looking a lot like yours... I didn't plan on 1.5" porting in the beginning, but not having it would be a waste... But now I have so many downsizing threaded bushing on it :P ... 1.5" to 1", 1" to 3/4", and I have a 3/4" to 1/2", but I'm definitely not using a 1/2" barrel :roll: yet

Your 1.5" Female seems to be longer than mine, but your whole gun is shorter because you use a 2" plug? instead of a 2" male... I think I'm going to get a 2" to 1" threaded bushing...
-FrOgY-

elitesniper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:37 pm

yea i moded the plug it was a hollow plug so i just drilled a huge hold on the bottom and glued in a 1'' piece of tube witch surprisingly fit perfectly and put a 1'' male adapter witch goes to my 1'' sprinkler valve.
bigbob12345
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:02 pm

looks very good but in one of the pics there is a blowgun attached is that is being used as a pilot valve.If it is I recomend you swicth to a 1/2in ball valve because it will allow more flow therefore actuating the valve faster.
Or even a sprinkler for the pilot
frogy
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:19 pm

What are you talking about?

Look at the first post...

I'm using a Sprinkler / 1" Barrel Sealing Tee for the Pilot valve

I originally had a blowgun, but that was a different valve. Many changes have happened since then... Notice the "Gun Update!"

Thank you for the comment :)
-FrOgY-

bigbob12345
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:22 pm

Ohhhh Okay
Im sorry for misunderstanding
frogy
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:31 pm

No problem, I never really used to read full post before I became the head moderator of a site, and if you say anything remotely stupid, due to not reading a post while a moderator, people will indefinitely blame something on you :roll: :wink:

PS: A blowgun didn't pilot either of my valves correctly... A Ball Valve with a 1/4" quick connect doesn't pilot the valve either, without the QC it may work, but I rather have a fast pilot, and $2 or so in parts for the 1" BST doesn't bother me much :P
-FrOgY-