Improving performance on my Piston valve air cannon?

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
Lentamentalisk
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:27 am

Well if he is stuck like that, lets hope his piston is pretty damn light.
With all the gear the soldiers were wearing, many drowned or had to shed it all before they could make it to shore.
In fact, during the filming of Saving Private Ryan, the actors were given wooden rounds to carry rather than real metal ones, because it was so incredibly impossible to move in the water with all the weight.
Do not look back, and grieve over the past, for it is gone;
Do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come;
Live life in the present, and make it so beautiful that it will be worth remembering.
Metalcookie
Private
Private

Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:54 pm

No, I'm not stuck like that. Only in Texas am I stuc kin a battle field XD

Actually, I'm here because I've got many beloved relatives either with cancer or on hospice :(
Metalcookie
Private
Private

Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:21 am

Well, I figured out why it ain't shooting like it should be. I put a bigger 4 foot air tank on it along with a bigger barrel, and I wrapped the piston in tape to get a tighter seal, and It did perform better, but then I remembered it was shooting better with the first piston I made. ( I tried filliing it with hot glue, hoping the glue would keep it together :roll: the sealing face broke.) Then I weighed both pistons. the hot glue one did perform better, because it was much lighter.
Gun Freak
Lieutenant 5
Lieutenant 5

Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:41 am

Have you tried a bolt piston?
OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:01 am

Having two places with the 1 inch restriction is bad. Think of them as in series. The one between the chamber and T can drop you delivered pressure by 1/2 or more since it contains a 90 degree bend. Make the chamber elbow and T 2 inch all the way up to the valve seat. I think you will notice the difference in delivered pressure without the restriction.

Use 2 inch air chamber into 2 inch elbow with a very short 2 inch pipe to join the elbow and T. It's now wide open and the weak elbow is eliminated and less likely to break off.

Remember the air from the chamber has to both move the piston and fill the space it used to occupy as well as eject the projectile. The movement of the 2 inch piston takes a few cubic inches of air to displace it.