Silencer

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
Saboo
Private 2
Private 2

Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:22 am

I was wondering if anyone could give me any ideas on how to make a silencer for a pneumatic. Im not sure how much it would silence the gun and even if its worth it for a pneumatic. But it would be very helpful if i could find out.
:idea:
Thanks
Marco321
Corporal
Corporal

Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:29 am

There are alot of threads on silencers, some have videos and stuff. If made properly they work very well
Failure to plan is planning to fail.

The 7 P's - Proper Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance
Redcoat
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:30 am

Next time use the bloody search button!!!!!

Laziness pure laziness you were told like a hundred times to use the search button.

Anyway i searched "How to make Silencer" and found this

SO there, use the search more and you will find.

Happy SPuddin'
Poo.
quiggly17
Private 3
Private 3

Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:50 pm

1st) well the whole laziness thing just takes up room on the forum for no reason either help or keep going

2nd) i made a silencer for my paintball gun by wrapping three or four layers of duct tape around a water filter that you can bye at home depot for less than $5 its easy and simply to do i once shot three rounds from about 50 feet away and misse the guy never herd me and that allowed me to sneek up about twenty feet away and double tap him in the head it dampens the sound tremendously if i can get my camera to working ll send u some pics
Saboo
Private 2
Private 2

Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:16 am

The seach button,
Is that the Google seach engine at the top of the page?
If so, itried it and i couldn't find anything too helpful.
Any other suggestions?

Thanks, I would really like to try your silencer idea. Also, do u play paintball as a sport, because i didn't think you could mod guns in a competition.
Redcoat
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:28 am

quiggly17 wrote:1st) well the whole laziness thing just takes up room on the forum for no reason either help or keep going
THe use is to tell him to use the search button more often because it is laziness.

but yes a silencer is fairly easy to achieve.As I am also in the process of making one i found this link useful here.

Oh and no the search button isn't the google one ( i can understand that confusion) Its the one next to the home button in the links just above the main page below the Theopia Advert.

happy SPuddin'
Poo.
spud yeti
Sergeant
Sergeant

Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:44 am

1st) well the whole laziness thing just takes up room on the forum for no reason either help or keep going
And you're trying to tell me that making this whole topic (useless at that) isnt taking up room? Think logic!
Theres a thread on the left coloumn about supressors (i.e silencers) right now too!

Moving right along, they are effective though, I suggest for your best option, search for )DEMON('s thread on his silencer, its the best probably.
really good quote/phrase here
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:47 am

spud yeti wrote:Moving right along, they are effective though, I suggest for your best option, search for )DEMON('s thread on his silencer, its the best probably.
Demon's design is the best for spherical projectiles, but for irregular shapes that don't fly perfectly straight (potatoes, batteries etc.) and anything that needs wadding, you need to go with a perforated barrel.

Think shotgun suppressors:

hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Redcoat
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:44 am

well i was inspired to take a five minute break from my assignment I'm supposed to be doing (but i'm on SF) and i made a quick silencer.
Just used My A Swiss army Knife to saw Three slits in the Orange PVC and then 3 Slits in the white one i then stuffed the white one with tissue and taped up the end with camera tape.

It works a treat i'd say it decreases sound by about 2.4 times.It does decrease power a tiny bit but i will be getting a longer stainless steel barrel on the weekend so yeah.
It is pretty easy and Simple.

Happy SPuddin'

Edit- it also makes your gun look extremely sexy. 8)

Edit #2- This isn't the one I said i was making the other one will be stainless steel this was just a quickie.
Attachments
thats it.<br /><br />BTW, the reason you don't see tissue in those slits is because it's been blown out.
thats it.

BTW, the reason you don't see tissue in those slits is because it's been blown out.
Poo.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:55 am

It works a treat i'd say it decreases sound by about 2.4 times
That's quite an accurate assesment, do you have a pair of these instead of ears ;)

by the way, slits in the outer barrel tend to decrease performance, that's why you never see a silencer with any sort of perforation in the other can other than the muzzle.
Last edited by jackssmirkingrevenge on Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Marco321
Corporal
Corporal

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:58 am

Redcoat wrote:well i was inspired to take a five minute break from my assignment I'm supposed to be doing (but i'm on SF) and i made a quick silencer.
Just used My A Swiss army Knife to saw Three slits in the Orange PVC and then 3 Slits in the white one i then stuffed the white one with tissue and taped up the end with camera tape.

It works a treat i'd say it decreases sound by about 2.4 times.It does decrease power a tiny bit but i will be getting a longer stainless steel barrel on the weekend so yeah.
It is pretty easy and Simple.

Happy SPuddin'

Edit- it also makes your gun look extremely sexy. 8)

Edit #2- This isn't the one I said i was making the other one will be stainless steel this was just a quickie.
Nice silencer and it works unlike the few i have made..... I'm going to have to make one and hope it works, maybe some careful designing is in order. The only thing is you cant really judge sound with numbers without a decibel meter since its a logarithmic scale.

I did have an idea for a coaxial silencer though, so here it is. Silencers need alot of volume right? What if on a coaxial, you put holes in the barrel after the chamber ends, then put a pipe over it to the chamber. The chamber must have holes in it between the silencer and the chamber, but a check valve must be used (such as a flap of rubber allowing air to go one way), so when the gun fires, the air expands through the barrel and before it exits the barrel it expands back into the chamber.

Redcoat
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:58 am

@Jack : LOL, no but it would be accurate it is easy to know as i've shot the gun
un-silenced about 100+ times and i could tell about 2 and a half times less than originally. 2.4 times lower sounds better.

@MArco : Good idea. I'd like to see that happen would be sweet.

Happy SPuddin'
Poo.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:12 am

Marco321 wrote:I did have an idea for a coaxial silencer though, so here it is. Silencers need alot of volume right? What if on a coaxial, you put holes in the barrel after the chamber ends, then put a pipe over it to the chamber. The chamber must have holes in it between the silencer and the chamber, but a check valve must be used (such as a flap of rubber allowing air to go one way), so when the gun fires, the air expands through the barrel and before it exits the barrel it expands back into the chamber.
You mean something like this?

If so, yes it will work, but how well is something you have to experiment with.
Attachments
coax.jpg
coax.jpg (18.45 KiB) Viewed 2955 times
Marco321
Corporal
Corporal

Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:18 am

Yeah JSM thats exactly what i meant. I'm not sure if i should try it because my bank is ummm, lets just say like my chamber at the moment, got almost no air in it.... so yeah I will deferentially try it one day

quiggly17
Private 3
Private 3

Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:58 pm

i do play paintball as a sport but i play woodsball not tournament style so its perfectly legal at the place i go to to use a suppressor

the suppressor consist of 2 parts

part 1 is a 3/4 pvc pipe with coupling with angled wholes drilled in to increase the air caught

part 2 is the water filter wrapped in duct tape the pipe its inside this pretty snuggly

i glued it into place because of the movement i had to do i didnt want it to fall off i also had to wrap some duct tape on the tip of my barrel to make it fit tight and stay on when i finished it not only decreased the sound by 2 or 3x it also increased the range of my gun i tried other methods and this one worked best for me