QEVs in NY and DC

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
john bunsenburner
Sergeant 5
Sergeant 5

Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:45 am

I am leaving for Washington D. C. on sunday and then will go to New york(city) the next sunday. I will then stay for another week before going back to switzerland. I was wondering if any one knew a place in New York or D.C where i could get QEVs and maybe sprinklers. Thank you!
"Did you ever stop to think that out of the seven deadly sins envy is the only one which doesn't give the sinner even momentary pleasure"-George Will
frankrede
Sergeant Major 2
Sergeant Major 2

Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:16 am

john bunsenburner wrote:I am leaving for Washington D. C. on sunday and then will go to New york(city) the next sunday. I will then stay for another week before going back to switzerland. I was wondering if any one knew a place in New York or D.C where i could get QEVs and maybe sprinklers. Thank you!
You won't find QEV's at a store, but you will find sprinkler valve's in most hardware stores(lowes, home depot, ace)
Current project: Afghanistan deployment
john bunsenburner
Sergeant 5
Sergeant 5

Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:38 am

Why will i not ind QEVs in stores?
"Did you ever stop to think that out of the seven deadly sins envy is the only one which doesn't give the sinner even momentary pleasure"-George Will
FishBoy
Corporal
Corporal

Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:28 am

Unless it's an industrial supply store, you can reallyonly find QEVs online. I prefer Mcmaster.com they ship fast.
"You polish a turd, it's still a turd"

Remember DYI!!!
john bunsenburner
Sergeant 5
Sergeant 5

Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:51 am

ok, and about how many sprinklers do you recomed i buy, and can i even take them on airplanes?(i know these are dumb questions but they are fairly important)
starman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
United States of America

Donating Members

Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:55 am

Sprinklers should be fine in your checked luggage.

If you know the address where you are going be, you could have the qev shipped to that address NOW. If that is a hotel, it would be a little more problematic unless you alert them it's being shipped on your behalf and to be expecting it.

BTW, is this your first trip to the States? There's much nicer places to see than DC, that's for sure. Also, if these are the only places you visit while you are here, you'll be seeing a fairly skewed view of the US. Not as bad as if you dropped into Las Vegas however... :wink: Sorry Frank....
john bunsenburner
Sergeant 5
Sergeant 5

Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:15 pm

I stopped counting how many times i have bin in the states... We are only in NY and DC because my dad has buissness todo there and no i am not goign to any hotels we are living with our friends(if you know the metropolitan tower in mid town manhattan :D ). I can get QEVs shipped from poland(ill be goign there some time soon i guess) and so i do not feel like shipping things around. Ill get my self about 5 sprinkers.

@starman: I personally prefer Canada over the US simply because i love the nature. I should be going to maine aswell because we have relatives there but not this time...Just out of interest: Where do you recomend i go, im curious and maybe some buisness, diving or fishing can be combined with it.
starman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
United States of America

Donating Members

Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:46 pm

Yeah I've enjoyed trips to Canada as well, especially western areas Calgary/Banff, Vancouver. A complete US list would be vast indeed and really depends on the time of year you're here and if you want to dump tourist money or not. Here's some highlights in the Southeast:

Blue Ridge Parkway/Asheville, North Carolina to Roanoke , Virginia
South Carolina Coastal, Myrtle Beach to Hilton Head
The Great Smokey Mountains/Gatlinburg Tenn.
Atlanta Georgia, Stone Mountain
Chattanooga, Tenn, Lookout Mountain
Florida Beaches, Panama City, Daytona, Miami, Key West
Orlando, Florida, Disney/Universal/SeaWorld et al.

Just for starters...... :wink:
john bunsenburner
Sergeant 5
Sergeant 5

Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:52 pm

I will get to you for the mains :wink:

To get back to my main question: I can get sprinklers in hardware stores and they will be ok on my checked in luggage. The stuff i need to mod them can msot probably be purchased in switzerland and so i do not need to worry about that. Is there anything i still need to know?
starman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
United States of America

Donating Members

Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:22 pm

Go to a Lowes or Home Depot in Virginia while you're in DC. It won't be as easy to get to one while you are in Manhattan. Just stroll through the aisles while you are there. I'm sure there are many other things you could use that are cheaper here....tools, brass fittings, etc.

NYC looking to get 5" of snow tonight!
john bunsenburner
Sergeant 5
Sergeant 5

Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:44 pm

i am unsure wether or not my parents woulds aprove of my bringing an arsenal of tools, fittings and valves back home but ill try. Otherwise i would most probalby import half a ton of PVC pipes of all sizes and shapes. Ok so as a recap:

I can get sprinklers and other tools and parts in hardware stores in DcC but not as much in NYC and they will be ok on my checked in luggage. The stuff i need to mod them can most probably be purchased in switzerland and so i do not need to worry about that.
MrCrowley

Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:57 pm

john bunsenburner wrote:i am unsure wether or not my parents woulds aprove of my bringing an arsenal of tools, fittings and valves back home but ill try. Otherwise i would most probalby import half a ton of PVC pipes of all sizes and shapes. Ok so as a recap:

I can get sprinklers and other tools and parts in hardware stores in DcC but not as much in NYC and they will be ok on my checked in luggage. The stuff i need to mod them can most probably be purchased in switzerland and so i do not need to worry about that.
I went to America last year...this is what I brought back :twisted:

Even with the metal pipes and stuff, it was all fine. Though it got checked at the San Francisco airport but was cleared.

Oh and I got the QEV and large diameter PVC fittings shipped to the Hotel I was staying at. It was overnight delivery for $33 becasue I was only staying there for two nights. So if you're staying at a Hotel longer, try to get it shipped in advance or pay a huge posting cost.
john bunsenburner
Sergeant 5
Sergeant 5

Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:04 pm

HOLY CRAP!!!

I think i can get most of the metal stuff here(besides taps and dies). I will get 5 sprinklers, some blowgun valves, check valves, quick disconects, some reducers and maybe a tap and die set(or should i get that here because we use different thread types?). anythign else you still recomend i get?
MrCrowley

Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:09 pm

I can get the metal stuff in NZ too but in America it is bloody cheap. Like $.60c a fitting. And a few dollars for the larger diameter metal fittings.

All the PVC fittings 2" and under are a similar price too.

If you plan on making some small bore cannons, i'd recommend picking up some 6mm metal BB's, or even just plain plastic ones. And paintballs also. They're pretty cheap in America.

The tap and die set I bought in NZ is actualy NPT I think, not BSP. Regardless, it still works with BSP. Unless you're using pressures over 400psi BSP and NPT will still seal together.

But apart from that your main items should be:

PVC and metal fittings
Small diameter brass fittings (1/4" and 1/8")
Valves.
john bunsenburner
Sergeant 5
Sergeant 5

Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:18 pm

The thing is i am not really a pvc person at all...Its weak, hard to get and ugly atleast that is oppinion. The res tof the stuff you recomended i will definately get! If i get BBs then they will have to be metal i can get tons and tons of the plastic ones here. Where can i get BBs also in hard ware stores?