Design idea I'm working up.

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
pharmboy
Private 3
Private 3
United States of America

Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:33 pm

Just noticed I hadn't seen a design resembling the one I came up with this week. So far, I've acquired all the parts for it, aside from the sprinkler valve(which I have a three pack coming from Ebay). And I'll start building this darn thing tonight. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas or thoughts about it.[/img]
Attachments
Here's a shot of the inside of the valve, minus the bumper and o-rings.
Here's a shot of the inside of the valve, minus the bumper and o-rings.
The launcher should be able to fit in a large suitcase when disassembled.
The launcher should be able to fit in a large suitcase when disassembled.
Breakdown.JPG (28.79 KiB) Viewed 1955 times
The assembled launcher, as viewed from outside.
The assembled launcher, as viewed from outside.
Brian the brain
Netherlands

Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:01 pm

A chambersealer.Boy, I havn't seen one in quite a while.

I suggest you plu the to 45 elbow in the stock.
No use venting air into your ear, now is there?

It seems like a fun project, because of the suitcase idea.
The cannon itself leaves.....room for improvement...

Next time, go with a barrel sealer.. :wink:
pharmboy
Private 3
Private 3
United States of America

Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:12 pm

Oh, I guess I left out part of the butt, the top is going to be plugged, the bottom open so it'll vent into the armpit region. As far as barrel-sealing, I decided to do something a little different. This is my first piston gun, and I don't have access to as many tools as I'd like, since I'm building this in a hotel room as I work away from home quite a bit.

As a veteran, I'm surprised you didn't ask about how the air's going the pass the piston to fill the chamber.

As far as the suitcase thing, I just wanted modularity, which, with smaller chambers, could make it into something as small as a handheld.
jeepkahn
Corporal 3
Corporal 3

Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:08 pm

cool concept, have you thought of using camloc's for attaching chamber to valve, stock/exhaust to pilot valve/sprinkler, and barrel to valve... 10 second takedown... you can get camlocs from .5" up to 4"+....

edit: for adding diagram...
Attachments
you didn't have the barrel or show where you're attaching the barrel, but you should get the idea...
you didn't have the barrel or show where you're attaching the barrel, but you should get the idea...
breakdown_126.jpg (33.71 KiB) Viewed 1905 times
Last edited by jeepkahn on Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pharmboy
Private 3
Private 3
United States of America

Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:12 pm

If I could find a decent farm supply store here, I'd have gone that route, but as it is, looks like threaded joints are the best I'm gonna be able to do.
jeepkahn
Corporal 3
Corporal 3

Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:15 pm

pharmboy wrote:If I could find a decent farm supply store here, I'd have gone that route, but as it is, looks like threaded joints are the best I'm gonna be able to do.
you should be able to find a plumbing supply house or tractor supply, they're all over the place...

What city are you in currently...?
pharmboy
Private 3
Private 3
United States of America

Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:35 pm

Rochester, NY...I couldn't even find a sprinkler valve here. Had to turn to Ebay, although $40 for a three-pack isn't terrible, it's far from great. I figure the threaded connections should last a while. And the design's not great, I just wanted to get familiar with some of the aspects of a piston cannon, I was glad to find a check valve that'll fit inside a 1 1/4" pipe.
jeepkahn
Corporal 3
Corporal 3

Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:52 pm

pharmboy wrote:Rochester, NY...I couldn't even find a sprinkler valve here. Had to turn to Ebay, although $40 for a three-pack isn't terrible, it's far from great. I figure the threaded connections should last a while. And the design's not great, I just wanted to get familiar with some of the aspects of a piston cannon, I was glad to find a check valve that'll fit inside a 1 1/4" pipe.
using threads for assembly/disassembly might make for sealing issues, and with pneumatics, airtight between valves/pilots/chambers is a MUST...

Try using slic-tite instead of tape, might help the ease and airtightness of assembling/disassembling...
pharmboy
Private 3
Private 3
United States of America

Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:55 pm

the only critical joint will be between the valve assembly and the chamber. I'll find some way to seal it up. I'm a bit disappointed w/ myself, it would appear I misspelled 'convenient' in my illustration
jeepkahn
Corporal 3
Corporal 3

Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:56 pm

this link shows a tractor supply 14 miles from you...

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=roche ... 32788,,0,5
pharmboy
Private 3
Private 3
United States of America

Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:59 pm

Hmmm...a trip may be in order tomorrow at lunch...
pizlo
Corporal 3
Corporal 3

Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:38 am

Hey I'm in Rochester to, there's plenty of stores around here that would have what you need, but so would Mcmaster.
pharmboy
Private 3
Private 3
United States of America

Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:58 pm

Made my way to Tractor Supply, got a pair of 2" cam-lock fittings. Also, found a lowed that has the 3/4 " sprinkler valve i wanted, so now I'm putting things together...
pharmboy
Private 3
Private 3
United States of America

Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:54 pm

Got my chamber glued together last night. Gotta say, this thing might be a bit large to be shoulder-fired comfortably as planned.
Attachments
Chamber.JPG
Chamber.JPG (30.94 KiB) Viewed 1758 times
pharmboy
Private 3
Private 3
United States of America

Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:21 pm

Managed to do a bit more assembly today, and it's shaping up quite nicely. Following suggestions from fellow members, I've decided to turn things around a bit and build it as a barrel-sealer.
Attachments
Mocked up.JPG
Butt End.JPG
Butt End.JPG (35.22 KiB) Viewed 1734 times
Working Parts.JPG
Working Parts.JPG (33.18 KiB) Viewed 1734 times