QEV questions...

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
Lockednloaded
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
United States of America

Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:29 pm

I ordered a 3/4" detrol super quick exhaust valve off of Ebay for my upcoming semi. the rest of the parts are not yet here, so I've been playing around with it a little. unfortunately, a potato got stuck in the valve and caused some bad stuff. if the cannon is not fired for a while the potato stuff collects on the wall of the valve keeping the diaphragm from moving. this is an easy fix, but its annoying sanding every once and a while. so does anyone have any ideas for a good solvent?

also when i opened it up i saw a bunch of supporting bars that restrict flow, has anybody ever drilled these out and gotten better performance?

here's a crude picture, but you should get the idea
I love lamp
Gun Freak
Lieutenant 5
Lieutenant 5

Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:33 pm

Yeah I think MrCrowley drilled his out to increase the flow but I can't remember where I read it.
OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
ramses
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2
United States of America

Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:45 pm

water is also called the universal solvent. I'm sure you can take it to a sink and blow the potato stuff out with water. Hell, put it in the dishwasher... it's only potato goo!

I see no problem with drilling the valve out. you'd need a rather large drill bit, so use a dremel.
POLAND_SPUD wrote:even if there was no link I'd know it's a bot because of female name :D
Gun Freak
Lieutenant 5
Lieutenant 5

Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:47 pm

I believe a dremel is what MrC used, but you should ask him.
OG Anti-Hybrid
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Lockednloaded
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
United States of America

Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:04 pm

ramses wrote:water is also called the universal solvent. I'm sure you can take it to a sink and blow the potato stuff out with water. Hell, put it in the dishwasher... it's only potato goo!
I left it in the pool for about an hour, still nothing. this stuff is pretty hard and takes sand paper to remove. i would like to try vinegar, but I am afraid of what it will do to PVC.
I love lamp
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:22 pm

Gun Freak wrote:Yeah I think MrCrowley drilled his out to increase the flow but I can't remember where I read it.
Extra! Extra! Read all about it!
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Gun Freak
Lieutenant 5
Lieutenant 5

Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:24 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Extra! Extra! Read all about it!
LOL :P Thanks :wink:
OG Anti-Hybrid
Holy Shat!
deathbyDWV
Corporal
Corporal

Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:25 pm

Dammit JSR!!! How do you always get links so fast... :? I just came back here from finding it and you already do that. I may as well not try... :roll: :P

BTW... I see you.
In total there are 15 users online :: 3 Registered, 1 JSR and 11 Guests

Registered Users: clemsonguy1125, deathbyDWV, Gun Freak
:P :D
Life's too short to mark off the items on your wish list...
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:38 pm

deathbyDWV wrote:I see you.
What are you now, a portal turret?

:D
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
deathbyDWV
Corporal
Corporal

Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:57 pm

Haha lmao!!! :P I love that game...

Your business is appreciated.
Life's too short to mark off the items on your wish list...
MrCrowley

Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:58 pm

Jeez I can't even link my own topics anymore :P

As for performance increase I don't really have a way to measure it but I can tell you that it didn't decrease performance. Air flow should be much better, less turbulence (noticeable difference in sound when fired) and I also removed the bars from the pilot side of the QEV too.

Just be careful not to damage the seat, where the diaphragm seals, otherwise you could get leaks. So take it slow and steady.

P.S - I ruined 3 dremel bits removing the support bars haha.

edit: I see I didn't post any pictures, well I ended up removing all the supports from the valve, not just half like I discussed in the topic.
Hope that helps.
spudtyrrant
Corporal
Corporal

Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:10 pm

c11man
Corporal 3
Corporal 3

Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:04 pm

removing the supports will increase flow but the the maximum pressure of the valve is severly decreased because the piston will bend and burst :D
ramses
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2
United States of America

Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:16 pm

c11man wrote:removing the supports will increase flow but the the maximum pressure of the valve is severly decreased because the piston will bend and burst :D
so epoxy and bolt (air tight) a steel plate to the back

with regard to cleaning off the crap, isn't it just potato goo? how long has it sat there? soak it in water over night if it has been a while. warm-hot water if possible, at least initially.

Vinegar would be fine, but your cannon may smell like it for some time, and I don't think it would work any better.. You could use gasoline, but make sure to air it out for a while before use. It is possible (improbable) that it will diesel, and BOOM.PVC is pretty tolerant of chemicals.

You could also try "goo-gone"
POLAND_SPUD wrote:even if there was no link I'd know it's a bot because of female name :D
Crna Legija
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:40 pm

i think i nylon washer glued to the piston would stop it from bursting
'' To alcohol... The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.”
--Homer Simpson

Add me on ps3: wannafuk, 8/11/11 cant wait