Cannon Accumulator Help

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:46 am

For 300 psi my suggestion would be to get yourself some proper epoxy and fit a suitable fitting to the fire extinguisher you already have, as was your original thought.

If done properly (I say again, if done properly) it will be more than enough for 300 psi.

I know from experience that a properly done epoxy join with decent quality adhesive will happily hold 850 psi of compressed air or anything up to a 28x hybrid mixture.

I also know that a badly designed join will blow up at far, far less :roll:
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Crna Legija
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:48 am

jazzman56 wrote:Damm, I've tried for like 30 min with no success, with bruises on my palms as a result. Damm thing is smothered in lock tight
try heat it up a little bit, make sure its empty and open when you do it.
jazzman56 wrote:Any other ideas of an accumulator, would a (ELECTRIC) Pressure Washer (handle and all) have a inbuilt pressure vessel, cause i found one of them as well??
No
jazzman56 wrote:What fire extinguishers have standard threads, that i can get in AUS??.
None, but the smaller 1l ones have very close to 1/2'' threads you can use epoxy to seal it up, i have done the same held 600psi many of times.
jazzman56 wrote:What cheap propane torch kits can i get??? (might just make it out of copper soldering it)
like 30 bucks at bunnings.

jazzman56 wrote:Mann this is getting frustrating, i have spent no less than 20 hours looking online and such for a suitable accumulator for my new barrel sealer piston valve.

Edit: When i build my valve can i use BRASS hex nipples as it's been mentioned in another thread that they fail at 200psi, if they do what do i use instead.
I have used brass fittings you get form bunnings at 800psi with no probs i'm sure they can take lots more to.

now for my question
what size gun and what pressure?.
'' To alcohol... The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.”
--Homer Simpson

Add me on ps3: wannafuk, 8/11/11 cant wait
jazzman56
Private 3
Private 3

Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:47 am

POLAND_SPUD, i might wait a little bit to let all the gas out before I TRY TO HEAT THE LOCK TIGHT WITH A FLAME. :D
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:53 am

jazzman56 wrote:POLAND_SPUD, i might wait a little bit to let all the gas out before I TRY TO HEAT THE LOCK TIGHT WITH A FLAME. :D
Fill it with water ;) make sure you dry it out well after though to prevent corrosion.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:55 am

double post :oops:
Last edited by jackssmirkingrevenge on Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
jazzman56
Private 3
Private 3

Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:00 am

JSR

This may sound like a dumb question but how do i actually epoxy it in, as there is like a 1cm gap. Wouldn't the epoxy just run straight into the extinguisher???

What epoxy??

What fitting, HEX nipple ???

Crna Legija

Thanks, now i feel better about using the brass nipples

The launcher that i intend to make is a 9.5 mm steel ball bearing rifle that also doubles as a marshmallow launcher, (found a 20 mm conduit pipe that works perfectly).

The intended pressure is 160 psi UNTIL i make my Pump

Though i still will need to buy the Propane torch. :? :?

Does anywhere sell cheaper copper than Bunnings as it's like 16 dollars for 1.5 meters 3/4 inch.

Thanks guys, your answering a LOT of my questions, that help me make decisions on how to transform my ideas to build with the parts available to me.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:20 am

jazzman56 wrote:This may sound like a dumb question but how do i actually epoxy it in, as there is like a 1cm gap. Wouldn't the epoxy just run straight into the extinguisher???

What epoxy??

What fitting, HEX nipple ???
Attached is a short how-to of how I would do it.

Reducer: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2PCS-1-2-Mal ... 3a69b29320

(make sure the exposed thread is compatible with whatever you want to hook the tank up to!)

Epoxy for setting up the mould: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Araldite-AB- ... 3f05f113b5

Epoxy for filling the mould: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Loctite-Mari ... 3a6a17be26

This would not be my first choice though, I would be more confident using something like this if you can find it cheaply, perhaps locally: http://www.ebay.com/itm/EPOXY-RESIN-MAR ... 41408e25c7
Attachments
extinguisherepoxythreadtutorial.png
jazzman56
Private 3
Private 3

Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:23 am

Thanks you again JSR can't thank you enough, and for tolerating my million's of questions.

EDIT: I have to coat the inside with anti-rust paint don't I.
Last edited by jazzman56 on Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:31 am

No worries, that's what this forum is for :)
Crna Legija
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:00 am

jazzman56 wrote:Thanks you again JSR can't thank you enough, and for tolerating my million's of questions.

EDIT: I have to coat the inside with anti-rust paint don't I.

its easy answering digestion's when you ask them nicely and give us the appropriate info not like some people,jsefcik :roll:

edit: that's better, right?
Last edited by Crna Legija on Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
--Homer Simpson

jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:04 am

jazzman56 wrote:I have to coat the inside with anti-rust paint don't I.
Unless your air source has a water trap, that would help. When you compress air, any moisture present will condense and remain in the tank as a liquid.
Crna Legija wrote:its easy answering digestion's when you ask them nicely and give us the appropriate info not like some people,jsefcik
LOL you accidentally wrote "jsefcik" in white :)

Also, digestions? :?
Crna Legija
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:10 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
Crna Legija wrote:its easy answering digestion's when you ask them nicely and give us the appropriate info not like some people,jsefcik
LOL you accidentally wrote "jsefcik" in white :)
what how did that happen, ill edit it :wink:
jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Also, digestions? :?
lol, needa proof read
--Homer Simpson

jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:16 am

LOL better now, I don't know how you could have made such a mistake :lol:
Crna Legija
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:24 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:LOL better now, I don't know how you could have made such a mistake :lol:
:lol: yeah not sure what happen there
--Homer Simpson

jazzman56
Private 3
Private 3

Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:38 am

This may sound like a dumb question but, i'm planning to build a 3/4 (20)mm barrel sealing piston valve air cannon using a rubber stopper as a piston. I've been down to my local hardware store ready to start the build but:

the bunnings do not have any hose barbs as a sealing faces.
What can i use instead as a sealing face.