What can I use for large ammunition (2" diameter)?

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
bigtoolsbigtoys
Private
Private

Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:52 pm

Hi, folks.

I've finally finished my 9' steel cannon, but my ammunition can't handle the pressure. Potatoes turn to shards at anything over 60 PSI, and miniature (2.25" diameter) tomato paste cans also turn to shreds at contact with target (140 PSI).

Could I punch a hole in the can, empty the paste out, and fill it with plaster/cement/molten aluminum? Has anyone made slugs with a form? The barrel is nearly 1/4" in thickness so I'm not concerned about a rupture.

I'll post photos and video when it stops raining, but here's some (poorly edited) footage of full paste cans hitting stuff.

[youtube][/youtube]
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:44 am

Fill the cans with anything you can get in them. A easy fill is water then freeze, sand, plaster, cement, wax. Your imagination is your limit! :mrgreen:
bigtoolsbigtoys
Private
Private

Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:46 am

jrrdw wrote:water then freeze, sand, plaster, cement, wax. Your imagination is your limit! :mrgreen:
Thank you! I'll play around with different weights and materials. I'm trying to stay around 1/2 pound, similar to the tomato paste. We have an industrial printer that just broke down. Permission to destroy!