3k HPA Tank and Sprinkler Valve

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
jbmoyer
Private
Private

Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:21 am

Hello, im a cannon noob, looking to build an air cannon for nerf rockets for airsoft. Been looking at various designs. Leaning toward 12 gram C02 as a power source but would much rather run and HPA 3k psi tank with regulator.

My question is about using the sprinkler valve that everyone uses. How much air release does that put out? If i hook up a HPA tank set to 60 psi, will the sprinkler valve let out the whole tank in one go? How do you set it up to only release a burst? For this whole reason im hindered from using HPA tank. Thanks
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:32 am

Welcome to the forum! Are you looking to keep the electric actuation of the sprinkler valve or to modify it for manual actuation?
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
farcticox1
Sergeant
Sergeant

Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:39 am

This will send Nerf Rival 200ft at 160psi, 3/8 manual trigger air valve, very simple :D
MKIII fin.jpg
jbmoyer
Private
Private

Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:52 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Welcome to the forum! Are you looking to keep the electric actuation of the sprinkler valve or to modify it for manual actuation?
Im considering both options, as i understand the manual will release faster, but if the electronic is acceptable might leave that. Being new scared that hooking an hpa tank will release its contents at one shot. Does the sprinkler close after the shot and hold back the tank?
jbmoyer
Private
Private

Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:58 am

farcticox1 wrote:This will send Nerf Rival 200ft at 160psi, 3/8 manual trigger air valve, very simple :D
MKIII fin.jpg
Very nice, you hook a 3k hpa tank to that? How does it only release a measured amount of air to launch the projectile?
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:07 am

You might want to consider a quick exhaust valve as opposed to a sprinkler valve.

You connect that to a three way two position valve.

This is the operating principle:

You basically have your air supply along with a secondary chamber. When at rest, the three-way valve allows air from your bottle to fill the secondary chamber ( B to A ). When the three-way valve is actuate, the air supply is shut off and the quick exhaust valve pilot area is exhausted to the atmosphere ( A to C ). This empties the firing chamber to launch the projectile, as soon as the trigger is released the air supply is reconnected and the secondary chamber is refilled, ready for another shot.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
jbmoyer
Private
Private

Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:33 am

Ok I've seen some things about QEV, will look further. What Im still confused about is the connection of the 3k HPA tank. That is essentially a constant flow of air. Can the sprinkler valve or QEV manage that? Assume each pull they only let X amount of air through then close? How much air is let out? Need to understand that dynamic before I strap one next to my head. Appreciate all the tips, great information.
farcticox1
Sergeant
Sergeant

Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:46 pm

With a QEV connected like this it will only dump the low pressure chamber, the high pressure is isolated until after firing for recharging.
QEV from Ebay https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Black-Aluminum- ... 0005.m1851 or Jacks

3/2 trigger valve from Ebay, must have 3 accessible ports as you need normally open, or get a normally open with only 2 accessible ports (if that makes sense) https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Air-Pneumatic-2 ... =R40&rt=nc or Jacks
QEV.jpg
jbmoyer
Private
Private

Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:32 pm

QEV interests me, so can I use one with something like this?

like the idea of a button vs a pull ring release valve
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:10 am

if you want multiple shots, it needs to be a two position, three way valve.

Here's an example on amazon but you'll find cheaper on eBay.
jbmoyer
Private
Private

Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:18 pm

Ok, great. The idea im trying to build is a HPA powered Nerf Rocket launcher. Load a rocket, "pull" trigger releasing the air through the QEV launching the rocket. Then simply load another rocket and repeat. No need to "charge" the system because the HPA tank is a constant flow only restricted by the QEV.

So the one you linked does that? How is it different from the other QEV? As i understand the QEV prevents airflow until you exhaust and reseats when you release the release valve. Is that correct?
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:51 pm

The valve I linked to would be used as a trigger for the QEV.
As i understand the QEV prevents airflow until you exhaust and reseats when you release the release valve.
That is correct. By using a three way valve as a release valve, you not only exhaust the QEV but also shut off the main air supply, so no air is wasted and you get a consistent burst of power.
jbmoyer
Private
Private

Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:47 pm

Ahh i got it, so need both its not a replacement for qev. Thanks so much!
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:52 am

Pleasure, feel free to post any schematics or shopping lists for constructive criticism so you can be pointed in the right direction ;)