New Piston Valve Idea

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
Marco321
Corporal
Corporal

Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:17 am

Hey
I thought up a new piston valve idea based on a spring and a seer.
The spring tries to pull the piston down but the seer is in the way, when the seer is moved out the way the piston opens, dumping the air in to barrel. The piston needs to be reset behind the seer, the picture shows a bolt with a spring that enables the user to push the piston back onto the seer.

Any thoughts, comments, ideas and such will be welcome.

Failure to plan is planning to fail.

The 7 P's - Proper Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:23 am

I used a similar idea in this launcher, a co-axial in this case - it works well but the forces involved are considerable, especially as you go up in caliber, so you're going to need some pretty tough construction for the sear in particular.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Marco321
Corporal
Corporal

Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:27 am

Nice gun by the way. yeah the seer was my main concern. i was thinking maybe a few layers of pvc and a support for the seer on the outside.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:28 am

My solution (rather predictably :roll: ) was ridiculous amounts of epoxy :D

btw, in your design, shouldn't the lower disk be of a larger diameter is the air is to push the piston open?

Here's another idea I had but never built, probably the benefits in performance wouldn't be worth the extra complication :
Attachments
how it works is the purple component of the piston starts to move back but the barrel remains sealed at first by the red component, giving the purple enough time to gain momentum before yanking the red seal open suddenly.
how it works is the purple component of the piston starts to move back but the barrel remains sealed at first by the red component, giving the purple enough time to gain momentum before yanking the red seal open suddenly.
epd.JPG (19.23 KiB) Viewed 3268 times
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
spud yeti
Sergeant
Sergeant

Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:39 am

That design looks pretty good, and should (with work) work. JSR, I like that design you came up with, its nice and compact, and pretty efficient-looking :D
really good quote/phrase here
Marco321
Corporal
Corporal

Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:33 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote: btw, in your design, shouldn't the lower disk be of a larger diameter is the air is to push the piston open? :
My idea was not to use air to make the piston move. the air doesn't push the piston down, the 2 springs pull it down.

EDIT: Nice design, i like it.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:35 am

Right, hadn't seen that at first - in that case, the sear doesn't need to be too strong, but would it actuate fast enough to justify the increased complexity when compared to the force of compressed air?
Marco321
Corporal
Corporal

Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:42 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Right, hadn't seen that at first - in that case, the sear doesn't need to be too strong, but would it actuate fast enough to justify the increased complexity when compared to the force of compressed air?
I have no idea. I have never actually made a piston valve before, all i have is a modded sprinkler.

I came up with the design when i was designing a different pneumatic actuation device instead of a ball valve or a blow gun. I came up with this design when i saw DSTV and thought it could become spring loaded, then i thought why not make it into the actual valve and this is what i came up with.

spud yeti
Sergeant
Sergeant

Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:20 am

Hmmm, Im just thinking: you could possibly somehow incorporate this design with a piston valve after it to create a semi-auto. It would take some changing and adjusting, but would be very cool. Would you like me to explain my idea visually?

btw, do you have ginger pubes?! :D
Oh yeah, and whats even cooler, is that if you put your mouse over the adress, it goes orange, like ginger :D
Marco321
Corporal
Corporal

Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:30 am

spud yeti wrote:Hmmm, Im just thinking: you could possibly somehow incorporate this design with a piston valve after it to create a semi-auto. It would take some changing and adjusting, but would be very cool. Would you like me to explain my idea visually?

btw, do you have ginger pubes?! :D
Oh yeah, and whats even cooler, is that if you put your mouse over the adress, it goes orange, like ginger :D
I'm not sure what you mean so it would be great if you could visually explain what you mean.

I don't really have ginger pubes, it was just a joke between some friends about 6 years ago, it just required too much effort to make a new one lol.

spud yeti
Sergeant
Sergeant

Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:38 am

Sure I'll explain it in a pic, just give me a few minutes. But this concept is very similar to the semi auto Im building right now, so remember who thought it up please.
I love the address anyways :D
Marco321
Corporal
Corporal

Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:58 am

spud yeti wrote:Sure I'll explain it in a pic, just give me a few minutes. But this concept is very similar to the semi auto Im building right now, so remember who thought it up please.
I love the address anyways :D
ok cool. Yeah ill give you the credit and stuff if/when i build it.

Haha thanks

spud yeti
Sergeant
Sergeant

Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:02 am

OK, so I've drawn it up, but I'll pm you the pic because I dont want EVERYONE to know about it until I post my cannon (sorry guys).
Redcoat
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:31 am

nice idea, i might make a concept one after i've finished my hammer valve(Girandoni).
Poo.
Marco321
Corporal
Corporal

Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:01 am

Hey
I came up with a new design, its semi-auto.

Comments, suggestions anything will be much apreciated