The Plinker: combustion marble 3/4" bore with video

Boom! The classic potato gun harnesses the combustion of flammable vapor. Show us your combustion spud gun and discuss fuels, ratios, safety, ignition systems, tools, and more.
Boom_erang
Private 4
Private 4

Sun May 18, 2008 12:07 pm

A couple of weeks ago I was visiting my brother in the DC area and we decided to hit Home Depot and put something together. Just a small gun but it was hours of fun shooting it with him and his wife in their backyard. Basically a spray -n- pray combustion gun using a BBQ ignitor, 2" "Y" chamber and 3/4" barrel, with a .8:1 C:B ratio. We decided on a breech loading design to avoid dealing with a ramrod for such a small bore. Because of the small chamber size, getting the fuel ratio right was tough! But I think that's part of the fun - just never quite knowing for sure what will happen when you press the trigger.

The ammo was wadded marbles, but the better stuff was some 1" long oak dowel pieces with a bolt and washer on the front to add weight and electrical tape on the back to fit the bore. We were pretty much done when we lost all five "bullets".

[youtube][/youtube]
bigbob12345
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Sun May 18, 2008 12:24 pm

Cool little gun you got there
I think you already realize that you are using DWV so Im not going to bitch about it as you probably won't change it even if I did
SpudFarm
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3

Donating Members

Sun May 18, 2008 12:29 pm

nice work!

that is awesome work to see from a new member :D

but don't stand down range.
one more thing is that the end cap is a bad place to place the ignition
"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
Boom_erang
Private 4
Private 4

Sun May 18, 2008 9:02 pm

spudfarm wrote:nice work!

that is awesome work to see from a new member :D

but don't stand down range.
one more thing is that the end cap is a bad place to place the ignition
Thanks!

What is the deal with putting the ignitor in the cap? I felt that considering the design of the gun, this was a good place for it in this case. But I'm open to ideas...

Yeah - downrange is not such a good idea. We weren't all that close to the target, but some of the ricochet shots were a bit close for comfort! :shock:
THUNDERLORD
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Sun May 18, 2008 10:07 pm

Nice video, you and your brother look like cool guys and your sister-in-law is cool/nice shot too 8)

LOL, Vid made me think of a long time ago when I lived w/ my brother he suggested I take some of my creations to a job interview :lol:
popomon
Private
Private

Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:21 am

"why don't we add poison to it" Thats who I want to marry (when im older at least)
Boom_erang
Private 4
Private 4

Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:26 pm

I'm surprised you heard that... I thought it was one of the funniest parts. My reply in the video was obscured by the sound track: "Yeah, why don't we add poison?".

She's pretty cool...

-B
popomon
Private
Private

Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:45 pm

Boom_erang wrote:I'm surprised you heard that... I thought it was one of the funniest parts. My reply in the video was obscured by the sound track: "Yeah, why don't we add poison?".

She's pretty cool...

-B
uhm... what is -B ?

Is it what I think it is? lol
mega_swordman
Corporal
Corporal

Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:39 am

popomon wrote: uhm... what is -B ?
That is his "signature", shortened so it only has the first letter of his name.

-mega_swordman
or
-M
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." George S. Patton