cartridge fed combustion build log

Boom! The classic potato gun harnesses the combustion of flammable vapor. Show us your combustion spud gun and discuss fuels, ratios, safety, ignition systems, tools, and more.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:07 pm

I've decided to revisit this idea, here's what I have so far, looks promising :D

[youtube][/youtube]

How's that for blowback :D took the ignitor right out of my fingers hehe

That was done with just a loose fiting marker cap as ammunition, there should be plenty of power to cycle a semi-automatic action. now to build the breech, watch this space.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
JDP12
Staff Sergeant 5
Staff Sergeant 5

Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:08 pm

hahah AWESOME JSR!!!!!!!!!

That'll definitely help me out with my project. I just need to get some glue!!!!

Congratulations on a great success.

However you may need to look into a better sealing method, you lost alot of pressure since the cartridge blew out before it even had a chance to fire--hence the massive fireball at the breech
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:21 pm

JDP12 wrote:However you may need to look into a better sealing method, you lost alot of pressure since the cartridge blew out before it even had a chance to fire--hence the massive fireball at the breech
The cartridge is an extremely good fit in the breech, naturally because it's cast around it. I wrapped some packaging tape to allow for a slightly greater cast but we're talking about one thickness of tape, I'm not worried about the seal. Consider that in the case of the above test there was absolutely nothing holding the cartridge or breech other than their own weight, and also the projectile was extremely light and loose fitting (about 0.74") - knew from my previous cartridges that there would be blowback and I didn't want it to be too powerful, this was more of an ignition test.

Building the breech as we speak, I'm hoping to have it done within the next few days. If that works well I'll add a magazine and see how that goes.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
JDP12
Staff Sergeant 5
Staff Sergeant 5

Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:24 pm

ah, very true. Good points...

Stupid glue!!
potatoflinger
Sergeant 2
Sergeant 2

Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:53 pm

Can't wait to see it in action. How many shells are you planning on making?
It's hard to soar with eagles when you're working with turkeys.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:16 pm

potatoflinger wrote:How many shells are you planning on making?
Since they're so big the stick magazine I'm planning won't hold more than 4-5 so probably not more than that.
psycix
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4

Donating Members

Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:45 pm

In that case go for 8-10 and be able to swap magazines. ;)
Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
JDP12
Staff Sergeant 5
Staff Sergeant 5

Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:29 pm

very nice, i may just have to step up to a 1.25" shell and make a grenade launcher--

something like this

or what the heck screw pump action and just go with semiautomatic :D
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:10 am

psycix wrote:In that case go for 8-10 and be able to swap magazines. ;)
I was thinking of a fixed magazine for the sake of simplicity.
or what the heck screw pump action and just go with semiautomatic

I think semi-auto through a straight blowback action is by far the easiest to achieve, pump action through an underbarrel tube magazine is a far more complex operation to undertake.

The basic breech is ready but I'm going to slop on a lot more epoxy tonight to make sure it's up to the strain, hopefully by the time I'm ready to test it my latest media purchase would have arrived and I can offer some high speed footage :)
Insomniac
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:59 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:In that case go for 8-10 and be able to swap magazines. The basic breech is ready but I'm going to slop on a lot more epoxy tonight to make sure it's up to the strain, hopefully by the time I'm ready to test it my latest media purchase would have arrived and I can offer some high speed footage :)
I'm looking foward to it. I'm interested to see at what point the cartriage detaches, relative to the movement of various projectiles. Any chance of a transparent barrel to better see what's going on? Perhaps you could cast one out of epoxy :lol:
I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.

Add me on msn!!! insomniac-55@hotmail.com
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:15 am

Insomniac wrote:Any chance of a transparent barrel to better see what's going on? Perhaps you could cast one out of epoxy :lol:
It's not impossible, I have cast tubes before;) but I have enough on my plate making the breech block for this thing at the moment. Tomorrow I should have it ready for testing, in the meantime I got a call saying my camera arrived at Customs so I should have it by this afternoon :)
Insomniac
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:22 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
Insomniac wrote:Any chance of a transparent barrel to better see what's going on? Perhaps you could cast one out of epoxy :lol:
It's not impossible, I have cast tubes before;) but I have enough on my plate making the breech block for this thing at the moment. Tomorrow I should have it ready for testing, in the meantime I got a call saying my camera arrived at Customs so I should have it by this afternoon :)
Sounds great! Mine arrived in the morning, right before school... so I had to sit through a full day of lessons before I finally got to try it, and then I had the long wait while the battery charged, which had the infuriating side-effect of it being too dark outside to film anything by the time I finally had it working :x
I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.

Add me on msn!!! insomniac-55@hotmail.com
JDP12
Staff Sergeant 5
Staff Sergeant 5

Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:25 am

Sounds good JSR, can't wait to see the results!!
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:00 pm

Here's what the action looks like so far, if it looks a bunch of scrap loosely held together by copious amounts of binary adhesive, it's because it is :P

Hope to have it ready for single shot testing by the end of the weekend.
Attachments
Image207.jpg
JDP12
Staff Sergeant 5
Staff Sergeant 5

Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:28 pm

Yep!!! Thats exactly what it looks like. :D

But it looks good nonetheless!!