The ZapLight

Boom! The classic potato gun harnesses the combustion of flammable vapor. Show us your combustion spud gun and discuss fuels, ratios, safety, ignition systems, tools, and more.
Hubb
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:48 am

The other day, I was at a flee market and came across a vendor selling stun guns. Of course, I bought one so that I could finally finish my combustion launcher, but this was after I had to sit through a lecture on the more expensive one they had.

This one was called a zap light. It is a led flashlight with a built in stun gun. Honestly, If I would have had the money, I would have purchased it, as it actually has some pretty nice features that would be ideal for a launcher.

First, it is rechargeable. This, in itself almost makes it worth it. Simply plug it into the AC adapter and charge away.

It produces two sparks instead of one (@ 1,000,000 volts!!), as found in normal stun guns. This means that one could have multiple spark gaps that are longer than normal, meaning a better burn rate.

The entire unit is self contained inside a flashlight body, which is about 1 inch diameter by about 6 inches long. This means a smaller profile on the side of the launcher.

Lastly, it's a flashlight. The flashlight is actually 6 led bulbs. By disabling the flashlight, this wiring can be ran to fan to operate it off the same rechargeable battery as well.

Here's a link to the ZapLight

Thoughts?
deathbyDWV
Corporal
Corporal

Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:43 pm

Cool. I might use it on my next combustion... Though it's kinda pricey... The one I used on my hybrid was only 30 dollars with shipping... It's very compact too.
Life's too short to mark off the items on your wish list...
Hubb
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:06 pm

Yeah, the price is what kept me from getting it. The one I got was 25 bucks and will serve my purpose well. But I thought that this would be ideal for the more advanced combustion launchers where someone doesn't mind spending this kind of money on it.
iknowmy3tables
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
United States of America

Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:36 pm

I'm not sure if the led lights would power a fan there's probably a resistor you could remove some where but this thing doesn't look like it wants to be taken apart,

the high voltage and small tip looks like it will be more difficult to insulate, most stunguns have a separate wider gaps that come into contact with people separate from the closer intimidating arc gaps, this makes them easier to wire, the zaplight looks like it has the same stunning and arcing probes or just has the probes close together

many stun guns use a 9 volt battery anyways so it's not uncommon to wire the fan to the same battery

it's pretty pricey but the compact size and 1,000,000 volts are pretty nice
Zeus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:45 pm

(Insert much amusement here)
Without being up myself, I know a bit about electronics.
One megavolt will not happen in this decade from a handheld device, if you consider
that one Kvdc will arc 1 mm (roughly), one Mv should arc one
metre! It may put out that voltage, but the best arc might be 15 cm.

What's more important is current, a 100 kv stun gun will supply more
current which is far hotter.

Don't be sucked in by this jargon, it's a big fat load of bull.

[Edit, added a more realistic statement]
Last edited by Zeus on Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rcman50166
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:59 pm

I know quite a bit about high voltage electronics. It is certainly possible. A quick google search could have told you that also.
Zeus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:16 pm

Many apologies, I clicked the wrong button.
Last edited by Zeus on Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:16 pm

Ok, let's say that a stun gun puts out 1.5Mv. Without keeping it in a canister of SF6, it will do the same job as a 200 Kv stun gun.

I'm sorry, but if the spark gap is 10cm it will be as good as a
100kv stun gun.

Paschen's law http://wiki.4hv.org/index.php/Paschen%27s_law is the
only other fact I can refer to.

Also, this is 1Mv http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/marxthree.html
rcman50166
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:25 pm

I'm quite aware of what a megavolt looks like. I've used that Marx generator in my Sparker Reference Guide 8) I think voltage may have an affect of how a stun gun feels. Ive been shocked at 72, 120, 1000, 2100, and 300,000 volts. (All by accident :lol: :roll: ) The 300,000V Tesla coil was by far the most painful. Although I suppose wattage has something to do with it.
Zeus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:36 pm

1Mv will allow 33 amps to flow through a human (assuming humans have
a skin resistance of 30k ohms, and not several Mohms like me).
So higher voltage is more effective in stun guns in their "normal" use.
However, if all you want is spark length, 1Mv stun guns won't get one
metre.

Rcman50166, why do you think I don't like coils, you have less control
over the arc. Also, are you a member of the HV forum I linked to.
rcman50166
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:08 pm

I'm not a member. However I've seen all the do-it-yourself jobs on the internet when I was researching particle acceleration techniques.
Hubb
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:13 am

Does it really matter the voltage output? If it creates a spark, it should ignite a chamber, right? The point is, this thing is small, produces two sparks, and houses a rechargeable battery, all of which are a plus in my book.
iknowmy3tables
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
United States of America

Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:15 pm

dam guys I thought I knew all the basic background on spudguns, then you guys pull this stuff on me :lol: , I've got a quite a bit to learn to try to catch up with you guys, good thing I don't specialize in combustion cannons, and that I'm a mechanical engineering major.

anyways I'm not an expert but even if the million volt longer arc can't produce more heat but can produce a larger arc then couldn't you still argue the the ability to use more spark gaps for multiple points of ignition would increase performance
Hubb
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:32 pm

iknowmy3tables wrote:anyways I'm not an expert but even if the million volt longer arc can't produce more heat but can produce a larger arc then couldn't you still argue the the ability to use more spark gaps for multiple points of ignition would increase performance
Yes, which is what I was saying. It doesn't matter if it's 1,000,000 or 10 volts. If it puts out a decent spark (and in the case of the ZapLight TWO decent sparks) then it would work.
iknowmy3tables
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
United States of America

Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:01 pm

okay it's not as complicated as I thought, while current is important for heat, the higher voltage puts out more energy by increasing the gap size, and your saying that a ignition gap that effectively used one million volts would be absurdly large

I think hubb has a good point if it can visibly provide 2 decent gaps it should be pretty good

btw I don't think that paschen's law equation isn't working on my calculator, it's saying a 1 meter spark needs only need a break down voltage of 3.41 volts?