A little project I would like to do.

Boom! The classic potato gun harnesses the combustion of flammable vapor. Show us your combustion spud gun and discuss fuels, ratios, safety, ignition systems, tools, and more.
ilovefire
Corporal
Corporal

Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:31 pm

i made this a while ago, had a bit of power for its size and considering it was a combustion

http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/mini-co ... 21186.html
why make it if it dosent shoot?
warhead052
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3

Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:40 pm

Well, I would like to find a way to get some piezo igniter's. My dad has tons of lighters, he probably won't notice if one goes missing.
Zeus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:45 pm

warhead052 wrote:You wouldn't need rapid fire if your 500m away from the enemy when most airsoft guns only go 150-200 feet.
Hate to burst bubbles here but I can't see an airsoft BB getting any sort of accuracy or flat trajectory at 100 meters, let alone 500.

Consider a .22lr, it's not very accurate beyond 150 meters. That's using a precision rifled barrel shot by a skilled marksman with quite a bit of practice.

No doubt though, with a good barrel and fuel metering for consistent power, it will exceed the majority of airsoft guns.

0.2 gram BBs won't hurt either.
/sarcasm, /hyperbole
DYI
First Sergeant 5
First Sergeant 5
Antigua & Barbuda

Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:46 pm

You wouldn't need rapid fire if your 500m away from the enemy when most airsoft guns only go 150-200 feet.

I haven't simulated this (nor will I) with gravity included, but that level of performance would, with the heaviest available airsoft rounds (0.43g), require a muzzle velocity in the neighbourhood of 250km/s (give or take about a hundred kilometres per second, because I've got better things to do...). Unfortunately for you, after the first shot your opponents would develop a prodigious twitch reflex (as the flash would likely be visible even in broad daylight and with one's back turned at 500m from the muzzle), and you'd probably never hit another one. This is, of course, in the lovely fantasy world where the projectile isn't reduced to its component electrons and nuclei within a few microseconds of leaving the muzzle
Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
warhead052
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3

Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:00 pm

I know, it was a noob example. But hopefully it got the message to you. I don't even have 100 feet worth of firing range without going into a neighbors yard, then add about 50 feet till you hit the house.

DYI, I would develop some sort of flash hider/silencer to quiet and reduce the visibility of it, and of course be covered in foliage. My friends field is so dense its hard to see with a burning kerosene torch. And that gets pretty bright when its 11PM.
saefroch
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:04 pm

warhead052 wrote:DYI, I would develop some sort of flash hider/silencer to quiet and reduce the visibility of it, and of course be covered in foliage. My friends field is so dense its hard to see with a burning kerosene torch. And that gets pretty bright when its 11PM.
I do rather hope you're not serious...
DYI
First Sergeant 5
First Sergeant 5
Antigua & Barbuda

Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:37 pm

DYI, I would develop some sort of flash hider/silencer to quiet and reduce the visibility of it, and of course be covered in foliage.
In my example, roughly ten megajoules of energy would be dissipated into the first few metres of air in front of the muzzle, heating it to temperatures high enough to generate x-rays (and doing considerably worse damage at close range than a 2kg HE charge - this would behave more like a small nuke). With a bit of design work one could build a flash hider to contain that, but there would definitely be single-use parts involved. Also, it would weigh several hundred kilograms... :lol:

Also, on a more serious note, the increased velocity won't be enough to put you at a huge range advantage. You'll also need to be using the heaviest rounds available to take full advantage of your increased capability for energy input.
Last edited by DYI on Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
3VIL G3NIUS
Private 3
Private 3

Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:16 am

Why do you need to hide the fact that you are making such a thing? It sounds like you skirmish with you're friends so I'm guessing you have an airsoft gun. What makes this project any different?

If you can get it to work it will be cool, although I agree that 500m is very optimistic. Haha
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:08 am

DYI wrote:
DYI, I would develop some sort of flash hider/silencer to quiet and reduce the visibility of it, and of course be covered in foliage.
In my example, roughly ten megajoules of energy would be dissipated into the first few metres of air in front of the muzzle, heating it to temperatures high enough to generate x-rays (and doing considerably worse damage at close range than a 2kg HE charge - this would behave more like a small nuke). With a bit of design work one could build a flash hider to contain that, but there would definitely be single-use parts involved. Also, it would weigh several hundred kilograms... :lol:

Also, on a more serious note, the increased velocity won't be enough to put you at a huge range advantage. You'll also need to be using the heaviest rounds available as well to take full advantage of your increased capability for energy input.
Who cares? X-Rays aren't in the visible spectrum :P
PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
3VIL G3NIUS
Private 3
Private 3

Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:07 am

inonickname wrote:
DYI wrote:

Also, on a more serious note, the increased velocity won't be enough to put you at a huge range advantage. You'll also need to be using the heaviest rounds available as well to take full advantage of your increased capability for energy input.
Who cares? X-Rays aren't in the visible spectrum :P
The BB would just be a pointless side affect of the real creation, a ray gun.
warhead052
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3

Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:53 am

You wait, I have been known to make ghetto stuff. For instance my ghetto electric chair. Ha that was pretty funny because it ended up exploding into sparks and spot welding its self together....

In other notes, we have enough space to make a pretty big flash hider, plus this thing is not going to be regular combustion size. Its going to be a mini with a really long barrel, and using propane so it has a loud bang.
saefroch
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:35 am

warhead052 wrote:You wait, I have been known to make ghetto stuff. For instance my ghetto electric chair. Ha that was pretty funny because it ended up exploding into sparks and spot welding its self together....

In other notes, we have enough space to make a pretty big flash hider, plus this thing is not going to be regular combustion size. Its going to be a mini with a really long barrel, and using propane so it has a loud bang.
Don't you realize that DYI has been mocking you???? I'm about to join in if you don't recognize that 500m is a stupidly long distance to propel an airsoft BB through the earth's atmosphere, and that to do so would require an input of energy that would be visible from orbit.
Gun Freak
Lieutenant 5
Lieutenant 5

Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:58 am

HAHA I would so sig that :lol:
OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
warhead052
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3

Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:11 pm

Do you realize that I was only making an example? Enough flaming, its just a point. I know I can't propel a airsoft bb 500m, and it would need a huge cannon to do it, plus an amount of money that I don't have. But I am still going to try this, its not going to be some 3inch chamber to a 1/4" barrel... Its going to be a 3/4" or 1/2" chamber to a 1/4" or 1/8" barrel...

Just stop commenting on the thread if you aren't going to be any help...

Oh and Evil, its my mom. She would kill me if she found out. Read posts much?
saefroch
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:40 pm

Do you have any questions?