hybrid preview

Harness the power of precision mixtures of pressurized flammable vapor. Safety first! These are advanced potato guns - not for the beginner.
pat123
Corporal
Corporal

Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:07 pm

this is my hybrid so far, i still have a ways to go. I just wanted you guys to look it over to make sure all of the parts look ok. I need to add the propane tank, pressure gauge and spark plug. any comments are appreciated.
thanks
Attachments
scissors are just for size
scissors are just for size
pizlo
Corporal 3
Corporal 3

Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:13 pm

Those galvanized pipes look snazy. Good luck!
bigbob12345
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:30 pm

Looks good but some specs would be nice.
psycix
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4

Donating Members

Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:51 am

Yup looks good, but we cant read the small text thats on the pic.
Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
SpudFarm
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3

Donating Members

Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:41 am

looks good!
but you can run the propane meter along the side with an elbow to make it more (compact)
other that that it is good and go on to the 6x mix :)

you can use a bigger union and a shorter nipple to secure it...
pat123
Corporal
Corporal

Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:52 pm

I'll post specs when it is finished. Working on the spark plug right now. how do you guys attach propane tanks. i can get them for $2.50 but they don't have any attachment on top, just the threads. what fits on those? thanks
bigbob12345
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:59 pm

you can get the propane adaptor from bcarms
http://www.bcarms.com/product_info.php? ... 8cf0a8c630
or you get one of the berzomatic flame torchs and thread it like on burnt latke.

http://www.burntlatke.com/thread.html
Or you can use crowlys ingenious simple method
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/how-to- ... 13281.html
STHORNE
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Donating Members

Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:02 pm

very nice design.

small, compact, and neat. job well done mate!

just one thing....
promise us you won't take it to school. lol
Forum Rules - follow them or else!
“Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence”
the cats in the bag
Private 2
Private 2

Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:05 pm

it might be in the diagram, but i cant tell. so quick question, what are u ignighting it with :?:
pat123
Corporal
Corporal

Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:55 pm

I got a electric bbq lighter and a propane tank today. I have to get a new pressure gauge because mine won't attach, and a hose for the propane. After i took off the little attachment on the end there doesn't appear to be a hole in the tip of the other piece with the valve on it. is it just really small or is it not there?
Hubb
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:14 pm

The hole is there, but it is tiny. I cut my torch head, which eliminated the pinhole. I rally can't tell a difference in the filling process, though. I just cut it to get it straight.

BTW: The hybrid design looks pretty good. Mine looks quite similar, although I use an elbow for the meter to put it closer to the launcher.

And here's some more advice (assuming you have not tested it yet). I used JB Weld to seal most of my threads to keep it from leaking, but I can't take it back apart (don't really want to). As far as the union goes, there should be a brass ring in it. If you take it out (mine came out when I fired it) the groove left will hold an oring, to keep it from leaking out of the union.
DYI
First Sergeant 5
First Sergeant 5
Antigua & Barbuda

Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:34 pm

I used JB Weld to seal most of my threads to keep it from leaking
:lol: Just FYI, you generally use teflon tape/paste and tighten it with a pipe wrench.

And pat, you can completely remove the curved pipe from the blowtorch. It attaches at the bottom near the knob with 1/4" compression fitting threads, and can be easily removed with two wrenches. That should solve any connection problem you have.
Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
Hubb
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:38 pm

DYI wrote:Just FYI, you generally use teflon tape/paste and tighten it with a pipe wrench.
Yeah, I know. But I didn't plan on taking it apart and figured the JB Weld would make for a better seal. I did use tape on the meter and sparkplug, just not on the chamber.
SpudBlaster15
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3
Seychelles

Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:13 am

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras nec placerat erat. Vivamus dapibus egestas nunc, at eleifend neque. Suspendisse potenti. Sed dictum lacus eu nisl pretium vehicula. Ut faucibus hendrerit nisi. Integer ultricies orci eu ultrices malesuada. Fusce id mauris risus. Suspendisse finibus ligula et nisl rutrum efficitur. Vestibulum posuere erat pellentesque ornare venenatis. Integer commodo fermentum tortor in pharetra. Proin scelerisque consectetur posuere. Vestibulum molestie augue ac nibh feugiat scelerisque. Sed aliquet a nunc in mattis.
Last edited by SpudBlaster15 on Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pat123
Corporal
Corporal

Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:44 pm

And pat, you can completely remove the curved pipe from the blowtorch. It attaches at the bottom near the knob with 1/4" compression fitting threads, and can be easily removed with two wrenches. That should solve any connection problem you have.
If I knew that I would of bought the $2.50 propane tank with no connections instead of the 19.99 one.

edit: I can just connect the propane tank with a hose right. just slide one end over tip of the propane adapter and the other on the hose fitting. what size hose should i get? I finished the spark plug. it looks pretty good.