Hybrid Cannons

Harness the power of precision mixtures of pressurized flammable vapor. Safety first! These are advanced potato guns - not for the beginner.
Reactor4
Private 3
Private 3

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:40 pm

Okay, im not new to building cannons, but all i have ever built are pneumatics and combustion. Could someone just briefly explain to me some criteria for making a hybrid? How do they work? Thanks.
Moonbogg
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3
United States of America

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:52 pm

MrCrowley

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:52 pm

http://www.spudfiles.com/spud_wiki/index.php/Hybrid

Read through the Wiki and Hybrid forum sections on the forum also.

edit: damn, beaten
Last edited by MrCrowley on Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reactor4
Private 3
Private 3

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:54 pm

ok thanks guys.
Moonbogg
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3
United States of America

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:55 pm

HAHA! Beat you Crowley!
Reactor4
Private 3
Private 3

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:58 pm

ok yea i think i actually might start one i can use sch. 40 aluminum, possibly stainless steel, i have a lot of TIG welding experience so I think that will somewhat take care of the fatiguing or explosion hazard. looks like i will be paying a visit to mcmaster-carr!
Moonbogg
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3
United States of America

Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:59 am

Sounds good, just remember that in regard to welding aluminum, it becomes very weakened in the heat affected zone, returning it to condition 0 and removing any heat treat strength in that area. Take it into account, its important.
drac
Corporal 4
Corporal 4
United States of America

Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:40 am

Sorry guys, but my thought here is that if you have to ask how they work, then you're not prepared to build one. Not to rain on your parade Reactor, but you should research on your own as much as possible and only ask questions after all available research outlets are exhausted.

Although, I would be more than interested in seeing your final concept. That is, providing you did your research. :wink:
Reactor4
Private 3
Private 3

Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:43 am

I have done some research, the thing is that i would rather be able to speak to people that have experience building them, and who will respond. Versus just reading a bunch of webpages and e-mailing the owner(s) with a question and waiting like 2 days for a response.

I also do have experience building and working on things as, if not more, dangerous than the hybrids. A hybrid is comparable to that of an internal combustion (gas) engine, since the same compression principles apply. An engine uses a mechanical means to compress the air directly in the cylinder, whereas an air compressor pumps the air from the cylinder, to the tank, from the line into your chamber.
drac
Corporal 4
Corporal 4
United States of America

Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:46 am

Ah! Well, I apologize for my pre-judging. So many times we have someone who knows nothing about potato guns sayin "lulz guyz i wanna buld a 10x highbred luncher. plans?"

You clearly know what you're talking about. I just like seeing that kind of background and experience in the first post. :oops:

Welded steel would be a damn good option. How do you plan on doing the ignition circuit? Tap a spark plug into it? With an all metal launcher your options are kinda limited.
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:57 am

Reactor4 wrote:I have done some research, the thing is that i would rather be able to speak to people that have experience building them, and who will respond. Versus just reading a bunch of webpages and e-mailing the owner(s) with a question and waiting like 2 days for a response.

I also do have experience building and working on things as, if not more, dangerous than the hybrids. A hybrid is comparable to that of an internal combustion (gas) engine, since the same compression principles apply. An engine uses a mechanical means to compress the air directly in the cylinder, whereas an air compressor pumps the air from the cylinder, to the tank, from the line into your chamber.
Don't underestimate the power of a hybrid. A gas engine takes one cylinder of fuel/air and compresses it into the volume of a mini. A hybrid takes the volume of a dozen or more cylinders and compresses it into one cylinder which is often larger than an automobile engine cylinder size. The combustion energy is often higher than the combustion energy of 10 automobile cylinders combined.

I don't qualify with first hand experience. I've never built a combustion cannon. I have only operated a spray and pray propane.
Moonbogg
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3
United States of America

Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:04 pm

I can tell you this: I have a 2x full size combustion cannon and at 2x they are nothing to play around with whatsoever. Just going to 2x makes a really damn big difference in power and its always impressive no matter how many times I use it. A lime will go a great distance to the top of a large cliff and hit with enough force to make it vaporize and the SMACK it lets off forces me to cringe at the thought...
Reactor4
Private 3
Private 3

Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:45 pm

Nice Moonbogg. And im not saying that im going to build one just to play around with, im just stating that hazard wise, i know how dangerous they can be. :)
Moonbogg
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3
United States of America

Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:06 am

I shot one once across the english channel and saw the tree tops move, so they are capable of traveling many many miles.
Reactor4
Private 3
Private 3

Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:41 am

It went ACROSS the english channel? thats really far. The smallest width of the english channel is 21 miles. Im not saying i don't believe you, im just saying that its a strectch, considering the 16 inch guns on a battleship shoot appx. 23 miles.