WIP: 1.5" Porting Handheld Piston Hybrid (DAMAGE VIDS)

Harness the power of precision mixtures of pressurized flammable vapor. Safety first! These are advanced potato guns - not for the beginner.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:48 am

SpudBlaster15 wrote:Should look pretty spectacular on video.
Especially on high speed, have we mentioned how cheap the Casio series are :D
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
SpudBlaster15
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3
Seychelles

Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:00 am

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras nec placerat erat. Vivamus dapibus egestas nunc, at eleifend neque. Suspendisse potenti. Sed dictum lacus eu nisl pretium vehicula. Ut faucibus hendrerit nisi. Integer ultricies orci eu ultrices malesuada. Fusce id mauris risus. Suspendisse finibus ligula et nisl rutrum efficitur. Vestibulum posuere erat pellentesque ornare venenatis. Integer commodo fermentum tortor in pharetra. Proin scelerisque consectetur posuere. Vestibulum molestie augue ac nibh feugiat scelerisque. Sed aliquet a nunc in mattis.
Last edited by SpudBlaster15 on Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpudBlaster15
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3
Seychelles

Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:28 am

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras nec placerat erat. Vivamus dapibus egestas nunc, at eleifend neque. Suspendisse potenti. Sed dictum lacus eu nisl pretium vehicula. Ut faucibus hendrerit nisi. Integer ultricies orci eu ultrices malesuada. Fusce id mauris risus. Suspendisse finibus ligula et nisl rutrum efficitur. Vestibulum posuere erat pellentesque ornare venenatis. Integer commodo fermentum tortor in pharetra. Proin scelerisque consectetur posuere. Vestibulum molestie augue ac nibh feugiat scelerisque. Sed aliquet a nunc in mattis.
Last edited by SpudBlaster15 on Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moonbogg
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3
United States of America

Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:58 pm

That thing works great. Awesome power, good job.
SpudFarm
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3

Donating Members

Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:49 am

Perfect! :D
I will try marble grapeshot as soon as I can, how did you wad it? I have big trouble getting a good/even pattern with buck shot. The best would be a canister round but I can't make one without a lathe.

Other then that, your valve looks very much like Galfisk's design. Did you look at his drawings? It's a genius and simple piston design.

If I could reach you from Norway I would probably push you towards buying the camera, it's very useful for troubleshooting projectiles and sabots ETC. Other then that they just make damn cool videos.

I probably won't be firing my hybrid to much before I get an American union for it. I really want to bring it up to 20x.

Good job again!
"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
SpudBlaster15
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3
Seychelles

Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:24 pm

Last edited by SpudBlaster15 on Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpudFarm
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3

Donating Members

Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:19 pm

here is the design drawing, I took myself the freedom of uploading it.

For the paper wadding, I have never had much luck with that in my hybrid. Seems like it's just not sturdy enough, and I am also afraid to jam the barrel and denting it since it was quite expensive.

It would be nice to arrange a meeting, three times the brainpower and funds have to bring nice results :P
It could be quite hard with my English though.

Thanks, I am working on getting a union that allows me to get to 20x at the moment. Those over here appears to have been designed to make spudders mad.
"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:35 pm

I took the liberty of modifying the drawing. A picture is worth 1,000 words.

Modified the 3 way valve to seal the chamber when the meter is filled and seal the inlet when the meter is emptied into the chamber.

Modified the piston for better flow.
Attachments
Modified hybrid
Modified hybrid
SpudBlaster15
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3
Seychelles

Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:20 pm

Last edited by SpudBlaster15 on Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpudFarm
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3

Donating Members

Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:50 pm

Galfisk has built this hybrid years ago, he just lost interest before he got it working properly. I think he fired it a few times at 3x.

Some kind of plastic can used for salt or something would be perfect if I could find one that fit's my barrel hood enough to use. I have made one that has a diameter to small for the barrel but I think I'll just use tape and a rag behind it.
It would be 500 lead BBs and 10 1/3" steel BB's

For the union, I am talking to Mobile_chernobyl about it. As far as I know McMaster only shipps withing the borders of the US. If I can get him to buy a 2" socket x socket union I could weld in my own pipe nipples to match the threads to my cannon.

Hope this isn't to off topic for you.
"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
SpudBlaster15
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3
Seychelles

Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:47 pm

Last edited by SpudBlaster15 on Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
SpudFarm
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3

Donating Members

Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:18 pm

You are making good progress on this gun, I can't wait till you are completely done and satisfied with the perfomance!

I would really like to see a semi auto hybrid!
"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
SpudBlaster15
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3
Seychelles

Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Last edited by SpudBlaster15 on Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
DYI
First Sergeant 5
First Sergeant 5
Antigua & Barbuda

Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:15 pm

I don't often comment on showcase threads, but this is a really impressive launcher. Probably the best that's been posted here in the time I've been back. What you've achieved is a rare thing indeed:

An innovative, ergonomic, handheld launcher which is energetic enough to be worth the effort of building. As "traditional" launchers go, this is right up there with Clide's GB-semi as one of the best.

The valve is ingenious, and the integration of the components is excellent. I can't suggest any improvements which would be doable with hand tools, although I doubt my own ability to construct even the current version with them. I look forward to seeing the finished version in operation.
Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
SpudFarm
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3

Donating Members

Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:06 pm

I agree very much with DYI. This cannon is the only one that made me consider building a smaller hybrid.
I think it might be built loosely around this design though with manometric metering.

The only improvement I can come up with that will be easily done is manometric metering and a rifle stock to mount it in.

I say it once again, good job!
"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.