hybrid cartridges

Harness the power of precision mixtures of pressurized flammable vapor. Safety first! These are advanced potato guns - not for the beginner.
ilovefire
Corporal
Corporal

Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:26 pm

these are my hybrid cartridges that i finished yesterday, now i just need to start working on a gun that can use them, already got a bit of an idea how its going to work

volume: 12.75ml
length: 140mm
chamber: 14mm ID 1mm thick aluminum tube
bore: 5mm
fill valve: schrader
onion valve thing: modified schrader and schrader cap

if you want to know more feel free to ask questions

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
Attachments
P1140145.jpg
P1140142.jpg
P1140143.jpg
P1140144.jpg
open breech
open breech
assembled breech
assembled breech
cartridge return spring
cartridge return spring
breech
breech
breech end of barrel, rubber tube as a seal
breech end of barrel, rubber tube as a seal
end of barrel and barrel supports
end of barrel and barrel supports
detachable silencer core, 10c coins as baffles and copper wire as a heat absorber
detachable silencer core, 10c coins as baffles and copper wire as a heat absorber
Last edited by ilovefire on Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:23 am, edited 14 times in total.
Gun Freak
Lieutenant 5
Lieutenant 5

Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:29 pm

I think you made a mistake on the chamber, is says 1mm :P
Waiting for pics, have you tested the power? What ammo? Etc.
OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
ilovefire
Corporal
Corporal

Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:46 pm

Gun Freak wrote:I think you made a mistake on the chamber, is says 1mm :P
Waiting for pics, have you tested the power? What ammo? Etc.
oh right i can see how that would be confusing i meant to say that i was using 1mm thick aluminum tube, as for power it should be the same as my first mini hybrid that could shoot through a 5c coin with a steel bb at i think 15x
Lockednloaded
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
United States of America

Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:57 pm

Those look amazing, Are the cartridges going to eject?
I love lamp
ilovefire
Corporal
Corporal

Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:09 pm

Lockednloaded wrote:Those look amazing, Are the cartridges going to eject?
thanks, sadly no because there just aluminum they will get damaged to easily, also because im trying to get power i wanted the barrel to be a decent length but i dont want the whole gun to be really large so im just going for a simple single shot bolt action, but that is good enough for me
Lockednloaded
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
United States of America

Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:45 pm

Also, what did you use for a spark plug and what are the contacts?
I love lamp
ilovefire
Corporal
Corporal

Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:15 pm

Lockednloaded wrote:Also, what did you use for a spark plug and what are the contacts?
have you seen JSRs hybrid cartridge thread? there is a small copper wire attached to the schrader that is less the 1mm from the chamber wall and that is my spark gap

edit: same spark gap as on this
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/files/untitled_375.gif
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:16 pm

Excellent job, while I was wasting my time fiddling around with seals, there you were mass producing a proper cartridge :roll: :D

Shame it's going to be non-ejecting but I understand your reasons, looking forward to the finished launcher :)
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
ilovefire
Corporal
Corporal

Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:02 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Excellent job, while I was wasting my time fiddling around with seals, there you were mass producing a proper cartridge :roll: :D
yes well i do have a small problem though it seems that after a couple of shots the moisture built up seems to be stopping it from firing with those tiny spark gaps which is easily fixed with a blow gun but still very annoying :evil:
ve you experienced this?
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:17 am

Moisture? Could be residual gasses, what I usually do is before attaching the burst disk, connect the shock pump and pump for about 10 seconds to vent both the pump and the chamber.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
ilovefire
Corporal
Corporal

Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:54 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Moisture? Could be residual gasses, what I usually do is before attaching the burst disk, connect the shock pump and pump for about 10 seconds to vent both the pump and the chamber.
yea i do that to, dont you ever get water build up in your shock pump? because once in a wile if i use the pressure relief valve it splatters water plus when i blow out the cartridges i can visibly see the moisture in the burst of air and when i stop seeing the moisture coming out it works fine, but i dont think that is the whole problem anyway i think iv made the spark gaps of a couple of the a little to small so ill have to test that and see if i can fix them.
and also you have the spark going to the schrader dont you? because i have mine going to the wall and that might be why i have a problem with the moisture (if thats what it is)
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:15 am

ilovefire wrote:you have the spark going to the schrader dont you? because i have mine going to the wall and that might be why i have a problem with the moisture (if thats what it is)
All my recent prototypes have had the spark gap at the schrader, as in the mini-hybrid:

I can't say I've ever noticed any moisture though, either from the pump or in the cartridges themselves.
ilovefire
Corporal
Corporal

Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:32 am

is there a reason you changed to that as your spark gap? still not sure what is the problem with them but there being a real pain in the ass :evil: could be my piezo is not working properly but i dont think so but i hope so
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:49 am

ilovefire wrote:is there a reason you changed to that as your spark gap?
It was mainly for ease of construction, by making them like that I could be sure of the spark gap before I sealed the plug and poured the epoxy, it's a much more reliable method.

My current curing cartridge is similar to this for 3/8" bearings, I found a harder type of seal that should give me higher pop-off pressures, due for testing later in the afternoon :)
ilovefire
Corporal
Corporal

Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:22 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:It was mainly for ease of construction, by making them like that I could be sure of the spark gap before I sealed the plug and poured the epoxy, it's a much more reliable method.
fair enough, might try it next time i make one
jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:My current curing cartridge is similar to this for 3/8" bearings, I found a harder type of seal that should give me higher pop-off pressures, due for testing later in the afternoon :)
are you using a O-ring or a rubber tube, because i made one with a bit of rubber tube and the bb popped at about 200 psi and i had a bit of fun with it and after maybe 10 shots the burst pressure was less the 150psi