My Hybrid...need help!!

Harness the power of precision mixtures of pressurized flammable vapor. Safety first! These are advanced potato guns - not for the beginner.
g-$-money
Private
Private

Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:25 am

ok guys as u may know form my other thread i am building a hybrid...well the tank im using i found at my dads work and it is 19 inches long 7 inches wide.. it is attaches to a 1 1/4 union that comes out of the front.. it is rated to 600 psi and i was wondering if anytihng would happen due to the small openning in the front.. i am trying to take all safety precausions (sp?) before i build this..

btw the hole in the front is 1 inch but has a reducer from the union (1 1/4 to 1 inch)

so basically my question is will this explode? or wil lit be alright?
ShowNoMercy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:26 am

if its rated for 600 pis then you are good to go. A hybrid as far as I know may top out around 300psi maybe so your good.
Jesus saves, no need to pray
The gates of pearl have turned to gold
It seems you've lost your way
g-$-money
Private
Private

Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:28 am

yes i know that but i was unsure of it because of the small openning.. the gasses may not escap quick enoguh or something... but i hope it will work because everything is already done i jsut have to screw things together tightly
spudthug
Corporal 5
Corporal 5

Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:32 am

is ur tank a fire extinguisher? i have liek teh exact same size tank (7 wide, 18.5 long) but mine is rated to 585 psi... i was wondering the same thing because mine comes out to a 1 inch nipple and i am using a 1 1/4 union for it..will all of the gas escape quick enoguh or will the chamber explode..

oh and btw shownomercy u said pis instead of psi
4" piston valved cannon-half done..( i spilt my cement...)

Hybrid- 75% done. need to build propane holder and drill/tap sparkplug hole..
Fnord
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:34 am

In the other thread he just said it was a co2 tank, so possibly a FE.

I believe a simple pressure calculation would be for every extra atmosphere, you add 110 psi. A normal combustion is supposed to generate about 80, so 6x would be somwhere around 630.
I dont know who came up with the formula or how accurate it is, but it does sound about right.
spudthug
Corporal 5
Corporal 5

Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:38 am

well i am not using 6x in my cannon then... i wil llimit myself to 5x.... but at 5x do u tihnk it would explode?

g-$-money
Private
Private

Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:41 am

it mgiht be a fire extinguisher but i dont think it is.. it is a greyish color and it doestn have words on it but it had been sandblasted before.. now that i know the tank cant take a 6x mix i think i will stick at a 4.5x or a 5x mix...
Fnord
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:56 am

Spudthug: Well, It depends on whether your tank is RATED to 585 or TESTED to 585.
I guess if it says its rated then it probably wouldnt explode, but I wouldnt go above 5x. If you go 6x and get DDT'd then you'll probably have a failure.
(on an unrelated note, you do realize you just wasted 1200 spudbucks on a temporary fad, dont you? :P )
benstern
Corporal 5
Corporal 5

Donating Members

Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:01 am

It may just be that I have been on spudgun forums too long, but I am going to tell you to make more combustion and pneumatic cannons before you get into hybrids.
g-$-money
Private
Private

Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:31 am

i have..i jsut ahvent posted any.. and before i san blasted it, mine said tested to 600 psi..i thoguht that meant rated..so wil lthis blow up or not?

as long as i stay below a 5x mix i mean
spudthug
Corporal 5
Corporal 5

Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:37 am

oo.....my tank says tested to 585 psi... doestn that mean it should be rated? i mean when i drilled into it and tapped it it was pretty thick...really thick actually...and i dont think they would put tested to 585 psi if it wasnt rated...thats probably all the further they needed to know because if u would throw it into a fire maybe it' shighest pressure would be 585psi befor teh top blows off... but i dont have the top on so... do u think it wil lwork or not?

edit: and about wasting 1200 spudbucks...1 i like that and it basically doesnt have anything to do with K.A.T.S (well it does but not in this case) i picked it because its funny..well i thought so...a gangster kitten..not your average gangster...but watever..

Fnord
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:50 am

The test pressure # is when they fill them up to well above the working pressure to make sure there are no flaws in the tank that would weaken it.
It could say tested to 585, but that doesnt mean it won't burst at 590. The working pressure is probably something like 300-400. It'll work fine for a hybrid, but stop at 4x and remote fire the thing just in case.

Your tank is aluminum right?
spudthug
Corporal 5
Corporal 5

Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:11 pm

no its not aluminum....if it was aluminum i wouldnt use it for a hybrid.. i think they test all fire extinguishers to 585 psi because the aluminum ones may fai lthen.. this is really thick and really heavy....jsut think of it this way.. it was thick enough that it was able to be tapped...

SpudBlaster15
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3
Seychelles

Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:27 pm

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras nec placerat erat. Vivamus dapibus egestas nunc, at eleifend neque. Suspendisse potenti. Sed dictum lacus eu nisl pretium vehicula. Ut faucibus hendrerit nisi. Integer ultricies orci eu ultrices malesuada. Fusce id mauris risus. Suspendisse finibus ligula et nisl rutrum efficitur. Vestibulum posuere erat pellentesque ornare venenatis. Integer commodo fermentum tortor in pharetra. Proin scelerisque consectetur posuere. Vestibulum molestie augue ac nibh feugiat scelerisque. Sed aliquet a nunc in mattis.
Last edited by SpudBlaster15 on Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spudthug
Corporal 5
Corporal 5

Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:30 pm

i will post the wall thickness in a few hours as the chamber isnt at my house right now my mom has it in her denali....and shes painting a mural at gkn (powder metal plant) so when she gets back il tell ua..but by guess and having the tank i have to say that its atleast 4 mm thick maybe even more...il tell u the real thickness when she gets back...just for the heck of it what would be the burst pressure for 4.5mm thick and 7 inches wide? (od)