How the REAL Strafer works

Building or modifying BB, Airsoft, and Pellet type of guns. Show off your custom designs, find tips and other discussion. Target practice only!
clide
Corporal 3
Corporal 3

Donating Members

Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:30 am

As some of you probably know Piper filled a patent application for the Strafer long ago, well it finally went through so we can see exactly how it works.

http://free.patentfetcher.com/GetPatent ... 287527.pdf
(Google doesn't have it yet, so it is either a PDF or the crappy patent office website)

No big surprises really, just an upside down cup with air agitating the BBs into the barrel. Similar to the old LARC BBMG patent. http://www.google.com/patents?id=wTkxAAAAEBAJ

I guess spudsonfire didn't get it exactly right with the vortex design, but still props to him for his pioneering work on homemade BBMGs. He later made one that was more similar in operation to the actual strafer, not sure why it never took off though. http://www.spudfiles.com/spudtech_archi ... php?t=7500
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:33 am

Fascinating, thanks for that.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Novacastrian
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:47 am

It seems like very basic principles are used in that design.
Beautiful in it's simplicity :)
America, the greatest gangster of all time. With 200 million odd foot soldiers at it's whim and call.
When you fill your car with refined oil remember that it has been paid for with blood and guts, some from your own countrymen, most not.
Killjoy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:48 am

So simple, and yet so cool. thanks for this clide
Stanford Class of 2012

"In the end our society will be defined not only by what we create, but what we refuse to destroy"- John Sawhill
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:17 am

Novacastrian wrote:Beautiful in it's simplicity :)
Yet at the same time horribly, horribly wasteful of air. The search for a more efficient yet practical alternative continues. I tried putting the valve between the barrel and the chamber to rectify this, performance doubled compared to my vortex block but not as practical as a blowgun for a trigger.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Novacastrian
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:31 am

Could you not use a blow gun, or is the oriface too tight as to allow the bb's through?
America, the greatest gangster of all time. With 200 million odd foot soldiers at it's whim and call.
When you fill your car with refined oil remember that it has been paid for with blood and guts, some from your own countrymen, most not.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:45 am

A blowgun is like an oversized schrader, it won't let BBs through - youugh i guess with some ingenuity, you could make one that would be suitable. Too bust to sketch at work but I'll think about it.
ALIHISGREAT
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3

Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:28 pm

hmm you could do something like on your valveless pellet gun (i think) JSR and have an oring and pin which would work quite well.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:01 pm

ALIHISGREAT wrote:hmm you could do something like on your valveless pellet gun (i think) JSR and have an oring and pin which would work quite well.
That would work but performance would still be in the order of less than 2 ft/lbs with steel BBs. The sort of performance I would like would be something like this with muzzle energies above 5 ft/lbs per BB - but since I'm limited to 110 psi, my only option for upping the individual projectile energy is upping the calibre, hence my recent spate of 6mm autoloading experiments.
ALIHISGREAT
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3

Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:09 pm

yeah 2ft/lbs is a bit girly for me, i currently have a 50ft/lbs paintball gun and i'm making a 14+ft/lbs pellet rifle because i love power! :twisted:
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:12 pm

ALIHISGREAT wrote:yeah 2ft/lbs is a bit girly for me
Girly for single shots but at the rate a BBMG delivers them, still a force to be reckoned with. At say 10 shots per second, that's 20 ft/lbs on target every second :wink:
ALIHISGREAT
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3

Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:21 pm

hmm i suppose but that could be alot more... your high pressure burst bb gun would deliver more than that i would have thought, if only there was a way to make a vortex with that much power, maybe unregulated co2 is the way to go :?:
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:15 pm

ALIHISGREAT wrote:if only there was a way to make a vortex with that much power, maybe unregulated co2 is the way to go :?:
CO2 would likely freeze your valve - A SCUBA tank hooked up to a metal cloud chamber regulated to 500 psi through a pressure washer handle, that would *really* be something :)

The only thing I ever saw that came close was this but we never got to see it perform at full pressure :?
ALIHISGREAT
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3

Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:34 pm

that cloud looks like it could really do some damage :twisted: shame the guy never used it a high pressure :cry: it would have been really cool to see the damage, and i will look and see if i can get a cheap tank off ebay :wink:
Redcoat
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:48 pm

That's a shame he never got to show us a vid.

SCUBA tanks all the way. There's like three full SCUBA tanks under my house in my dad's workshop. :twisted: .
Poo.