BBMG- Airsoft Magazine and hopup design.

Building or modifying BB, Airsoft, and Pellet type of guns. Show off your custom designs, find tips and other discussion. Target practice only!
ALIHISGREAT
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3

Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:56 pm

hmm looks cool....

to restrict the flow, you could make your own epoxy flow restricting nozzle (JSR style!)

and maybe you should use one of those phat electric boxmags.. for the most beastly sidearm around :twisted:
jonnyboy
Corporal
Corporal

Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:00 pm

I might try this sometime if I take apart my cheap utg shotgun since I have a c02 pistol now. :) I have all the parts in my shotgun other than the c02 adapter.

Do you mind giving me a link to the one you have? I rather have a 20 oz tank. Can you run through a full c02 tank and give me an estimate on how many rounds it can put out before the cartridge runs out and when the hop up wheres out.

As for as a regulator are you familiar with the little turn valve thing on the propane tanks used for torches? That seems small enough to fit into this design. I have no idea if the seals on that will stand up to 700 psi though. I also have no idea how you would attach it though.

Nice job david! (do you mind if I call you that) Overall I love the design and the simplicity and innovation you bring to the table here.
:thumbup:
Last edited by jonnyboy on Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mobile chernobyl wrote:I can shoot a Canuter Valve off my '82 Chevy Ram F150 AT LEAST 3/4 Mile with 'ma cannon made of soup cans duct taped together, then I just squirt some bacardi 151 in the chamber and hold up my cigarrete lighta and WHOOSH! That thing flies at least 3/4 mile
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:17 pm

Ragnarok wrote:Equally, AEGs and other airsoft guns are not perfect replicas either - screw heads, wrong weight, plastic, wrong magazine capacities, batteries and gas to worry about... and in some parts of the world, even orange muzzles.
... not to mention people yelling "Ow!" when you shoot them instead of desappearing in an explosion of blood and viscera :roll: :D
Would you like to come up a way to limit the flow with me? I'm always open to suggestions on how to improve my design
I hate to be predictable but my suggestions are epoxy based. How do you plan on connecting the hop-up unit to the inflator? I would either fill the tubing with epoxy and drill a hole through with a fine bit, or find a section of narrow tubing of the appropriate diameter and cast around it.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Davidvaini
Sergeant 4
Sergeant 4

Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:29 pm

Idea.. what about having a small expansion chamber and then a flow constrictor?

@ Ragnarok

I will pay attention to asthetic problem with BBMGs and I will try to solve them.. I think they are extremely important. yes airsoft replicas arnt perfect.. but they are a lot closer than most of the BBMGs. I'm not saying making BBMGs exact replicas.. but im always gonna try to make them be as close as posible. I'm not gonna give up.. I'm sorry but anyone can make a white pvc cloud, or even a Vortex BBMG.. I'm always gonna strive to be better and to try something new.

A lot of people want BBMG's that are skirmish-able.. A lot of those people want their guns to at least look somewhat like the real deal. I think aesthetics are important..I think it would be sweet to have a bbmg used for airsoft to look like an airsoft gun. That is part of what makes airsoft fun. There have been many BBMGS that have shown they can function... we have that down... now lets move on... lets do something new.. lets not be stuck in our old roots and try to teach some old dogs some new tricks...

For soo long people said BBMGs have to be cloud or vortex block and if they are a vortex block design the block has to be housed inside a chamber.. thats it, thats the way its always been and thats the way it has to be.. I've gotten a lot of that attitude lately and im sick of it... The vortex cap design that I came up with is soo obvious and so easy, I still find it hard to beleive nobody posted it before me.. Same with this design.. its really simple and effective.. So im gonna keep doing what everyone says not to do.. and im gonna keep showing alternative ways to look and solve a problem.

But this is not the thread to talk about this.. If you wish to continue this conversation with me please PM me as im always welcome to hear ideas on it.
Last edited by Davidvaini on Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ramses
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2
United States of America

Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:31 pm

Davidvaini wrote:yeah you could use midcaps if you wanted too.. this design allows almost any airsoft magazine setup.. You could do an autowind box mag if you wanted too...

The problem with most BBMG's in Airsoft are as follows:

Magazines dont look authentic. (round tubes)
Hard to have multiple magazines that are skirmish-able.
Feeding mech is too large to fit in my Airsoft Bodies.
Not portable.
Replica aesthetics.

All of these problems are addressed with my new direct feed BBMG!

You can build this design into almost any AEG, making it easy to convert an AEG. (remove gearbox, put co2 inflator in the grip and redirect the air into the back of the hopup and barrel that is already there..)

This way you dont have to work on the magazine, the feeding, or the barrel or the asthetics.. all you have to worry about is fiting the co2 trigger and feeding it to the back of the hopup.

I hate to burst your proverbial bubble, but that isn't a new idea. linkey
jonnyboy
Corporal
Corporal

Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:33 pm

I think that it would decrease the pressure some but that's not helping air efficiency. My post above has an idea that may work to do both.

EDIT @ramses

They are similar concept but I think the c02 is just spinning the gearbox which propels the bb. That looks horribly un-air efficient also, only 80 shots per 12 gram. I realize those things are tiny but at the rof I'm thinking of from davids your going to have a lot more than just 80 shots per powerlet.

EDIT 2 I need to read the titles :mumum: the c02 simply spins the gear box once again thats a guess it doesn't give that much info.
Last edited by jonnyboy on Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mobile chernobyl wrote:I can shoot a Canuter Valve off my '82 Chevy Ram F150 AT LEAST 3/4 Mile with 'ma cannon made of soup cans duct taped together, then I just squirt some bacardi 151 in the chamber and hold up my cigarrete lighta and WHOOSH! That thing flies at least 3/4 mile
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:42 pm

ramses wrote:I hate to burst your proverbial bubble, but that isn't a new idea. linkey
As far as I can tell, that's not the same concept - if I understood correctly, it uses a burst of CO<sub>2</sub> to drive the spring piston forward instead of an actual spring, hence the reason it's advertised as semi-auto.
I think that it would decrease the pressure some but that's not helping air efficiency
If you're restricting the flow, the gas supply will last for longer. You're doing this at the expense of performance, but for an airsoft piston, this can be afforded.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
jonnyboy
Corporal
Corporal

Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:48 pm

OH I get it now. :oops: I was thinking of the air in the expansion chamber as wasted while its just slightly depressurizing.
Davidvaini
Sergeant 4
Sergeant 4

Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:02 pm

Well im gonna chrono the results of my initial design and depending on the FPS I might add a expansion chamber.
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:01 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:... not to mention people yelling "Ow!" when you shoot them instead of disappearing in an explosion of blood and viscera.
Yes, well, there would be fewer players if you did that.
Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Lentamentalisk
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:26 pm

so, I am not exactly getting how this hopup works. How does their loading mech work? Does it just load on new BB, or a continuous stream, so you can just hold down the trigger and it lets out a long stream? IE: why have we not been using these all along?
Do not look back, and grieve over the past, for it is gone;
Do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come;
Live life in the present, and make it so beautiful that it will be worth remembering.
Davidvaini
Sergeant 4
Sergeant 4

Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:35 pm

lentamentalisk.. it sends a line of BBs up and the co2 shoots them out.. so yes you can hold the trigger and it sends a continuous stream of bbs.

We havent been using them all along because "people said not to and because why try anything different if vortex and cloud bbmgs already work."

That is the attitude that has been annoying me.. That is why I did this.. because they said not to use a hopup.. so i built a bbmg around it..

People say dont use Airsoft Hopups because they wear down.. well Ive noticed people dont use hopups anyway.. so even if it does wear its pretty much the same as not having one to begin with.. so it leaves the feeding mechanism which works quite good.

This gun will pretty much shoot as fast as the magazine can unload all its bbs. This was also a guidline in BBMGs.. People said not to use an airsoft magazine because it wouldnt feed fast enough.. An airsoft magazine can feed extremely fast... I cant wait to see what the rof is on this. All I know is that is sounds just as fast as a vortex...
Lentamentalisk
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:39 pm

It seems like it would be much more air efficient, and load much more reliably than a cloud or vortex, due to the fact that it loads by a mechanical method, rather than the venturi effect, which is not that great. I just may want to try something like this in combination with some of BtB's high pressure BBMG stuff, as it is the loading mech that always seems to be the issue.
Do not look back, and grieve over the past, for it is gone;
Do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come;
Live life in the present, and make it so beautiful that it will be worth remembering.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:39 pm

Lentamentalisk wrote:It seems like it would be much more air efficient, and load much more reliably than a cloud or vortex, due to the fact that it loads by a mechanical method, rather than the venturi effect, which is not that great.
The thing is that with AEGs, you have a reciprocating nozzle moving back and forth loading individual BBs and sealing the chamber.

How an AEG works

Without the benefit of this nozzle it looks like things will be a little breezy around the feed area...
Last edited by jackssmirkingrevenge on Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davidvaini
Sergeant 4
Sergeant 4

Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:04 am

in the hopup JSR there is a bucking that actually provides an air seal and makes it so the bb cannot simply fall out. this makes it so its not as breezy as you might think.