Pimpin' Pocket Gauss Gun(Video now up)

Miniature guns are novelty custom, unique, and sometime downright crude! Common construction materials often include pill bottles or pens. Show us your work!

What should my next project be, if time and materials allow?

Railgun
57%
Electrothermal gun
43%

Total votes: 23
halwejakkals
Recruit
Recruit

Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:32 pm

I'm wondering about winding coils. How'd you wind the coils for the p-60? I was wondering about the layers because electro magnetism has a direction depending on the direction of the coils and the flow of electricity through those coils. Do you wind, glue, then wind in reverse...which would theoretically stunt the power of the field or do you wind, glue, have the line back to beginning and wind from the beginning again in the same direction? Please let me know. Anyone.
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:52 pm

halwejakkals wrote:Do you wind, glue, then wind in reverse...which would theoretically stunt the power of the field
No, it wouldn't because the "direction" of the magnetic field is not determined by which direction the spiral is travelling along the former, it's determined by which way the coils are looping round (i.e clockwise or anti-clockwise) and the travel of current through them.

As long as you keep winding the coils around in the same way and don't bend the wire back on itself to twist in the other direction, there will be no problems.
Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
rp181
Sergeant
Sergeant

Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:06 pm

agreed, but that just gave me a thought. Why not wind 2 coils and use one to quench the field?
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:36 pm

rp181 wrote:agreed, but that just gave me a thought. Why not wind 2 coils and use one to quench the field?
Why not just quench the current in the inductive coil with a dump resistor? It takes a heck of a lot less space and weight.

There are other tricks which can be done with odd coil designs though, there is even a way to achieve a rifling effect with magnetic fields.
Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
rp181
Sergeant
Sergeant

Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:33 pm

thats good too....
I might be getting 6 K0890NC360 SCR's (10kA surge for 10ms at 3600V!) So i might try out your idea with the hv cap, but only if my school will write a letter =/