Stainless steel Hydrogen cannon

Miniature guns are novelty custom, unique, and sometime downright crude! Common construction materials often include pill bottles or pens. Show us your work!
SpudFarm
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3

Donating Members

Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:03 pm

you are a Larda like type xrcv :P
"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
xrcv
Private
Private

Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:09 pm

Well, i've no idea who larda is, but i guess he's cool. :lol:
SpudFarm
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3

Donating Members

Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:10 pm

not cool he is a god of machining :D
"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
THUNDERLORD
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:31 pm

Looks like a great demonstrational piece. I like how it's sitting on a water glass in the picture.

I know hydrogen/oxygen maybe isn't the best fuel available.
But it just reminds me that knowledge is power to be able to make something from water.(the possibilities, I should be an action writer one day)

My question is: How can you seperate the hydrogen from oxygen from electrolysis?
I'm interested in it for use in a small balloon application to possibly use it If I didn't have helium . Thanks 8)
Lentamentalisk
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:50 pm

THUNDERLORD wrote:I'm interested in it for use in a small balloon application to possibly use it If I didn't have helium.
Yet another really bad idea. Even completely disregarding safety issues, just looking at the physics it doesn't really work. When you separate water, you get 2H<sub>2</sub>+O<sub>2</sub>. Air is mostly N<sub>2</sub>, which is slightly lighter than O<sub>2</sub>. This will make the balloon only slightly buoyant, unless you can separate the H<sub>2</sub> and O<sub>2</sub>, which makes the electrolysis process slower and more complicated.
Now, getting to the safety point, it is not safe to float highly instable explosives at head hight near people, I'm guessing at a party or the like, where you will most likely have lit candles...
You are just asking to have people sent to the emergency room.

Now there are plenty of legitimate reasons for filling a balloon with 2H<sub>2</sub> and O<sub>2</sub>, such as blowing them up in a controlled environment, but you should never replace an inert gas with a highly unstable one...
Do not look back, and grieve over the past, for it is gone;
Do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come;
Live life in the present, and make it so beautiful that it will be worth remembering.
THUNDERLORD
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:09 pm

Lentamentalisk wrote: unless you can separate the H<sub>2</sub> and O<sub>2</sub>, which makes the electrolysis process slower and more complicated...
That's what my question was really, getting pure hydrogen for use as a lighter than air gas. The hindenberg blimp among others was filled with it.

True it did crash and burn but it didn't detonate. Hydrogen itself is the closest element to helium. I'm sure you probably know that.

I probably should research to figure it out myself.
But others here may be interested in something similar I was thinking.

I wasn't thinking of filling balloons at parties but for maybe an outdoors observation balloon type thing.

Well I am not going to lie I also think it would be cool to maybe levitate one day. :wink:
xrcv
Private
Private

Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:51 am

I have a design that separates h2/o2, but haven't build it yet. It's basically two plates separated by a porous membrane. I don't know where you could find the membrane though. :)
jon_89
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:54 am

have you shot it yet?
THUNDERLORD
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:06 am

jon_89 wrote:have you shot it yet?
Man, read the post. what the heck kind of question is that?
Some pictures of firing/ damage pics would be nice though.

@xrcv, I would be interested in that.
There are videos of electrolysis machines on youtube.

In one the guy holds a lighter over the bubbles coming out and explains it dissipates at such a fast rate he feels comfortable working with those levels!!!

So everyone thinks about the dangers when in some ways it looks safer than other gasses. thanks 8)
jon_89
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:10 am

must of over read that part.
xrcv
Private
Private

Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:10 am

Well, I don't see any dangers with such small volumes of hydroxy gas. The only thing you can damage is probably your hearing. :)
And yes i plan on posting damage pics, however there was s little accident with the electrolyser(accidentally plugged the outlet tube and as the pressure build up it started leaking from the silicone sealing.) and I'm fixing it now.