ABS cellcore failure testing

A place for general potato gun questions and discussions.
Moonbogg
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3
United States of America

Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:09 am

I was just wondering what would happen if I essentially made a pipe bomb out of ABS cellcore, but instead of gunpowder i'd use propane. This would be a good test to see what would happen if a chamber actually failed for some unlikely reason, and might be a bit fun as well (behind a blast shield of course). I saw the video somewhere where a guy blew up 2 pipe bombs, one PVC and the other ABS, but I think they were both solid wall and he used flash powder.
I don't think I actually have the energy to waste on this, but has anyone done it?
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:13 am

Moonbogg wrote:I don't think I actually have the energy to waste on this, but has anyone done it?
Not that I know of, but if you do, make sure you set up witness plates of some nature to document the distribution and velocity of the resulting fragments.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
psycix
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4

Donating Members

Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:28 am

It would be nice to see, though I doubt that it will burst using a combustion.
You will need metering and a fan, OR use a hybrid setup.
You could also do it pneumatically, which also leaves you with an extra result: The number of psi the pipe bursted at.

It may be interesting to see what happens.
ABS should not give much shrapnel.
Imagine if it did. The whole spudding community would be amazed as they always assumed it didnt...
Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
Moonbogg
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3
United States of America

Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:41 am

They assumed it didn't, this implies noone has ever had an ABS failure? Or they are that rare lol. Dammit, I want ABS failure stories!
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:45 am

Moonbogg wrote:I want ABS failure stories!
You're the proud owner of a cellcore cannon now, who knows, you might have a few of your own ;)
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
frankrede
Sergeant Major 2
Sergeant Major 2

Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:00 am

Moonbogg wrote:They assumed it didn't, this implies noone has ever had an ABS failure? Or they are that rare lol. Dammit, I want ABS failure stories!
Spudblaster15 had one from a simple combustion.
Current project: Afghanistan deployment
SpudBlaster15
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3
Seychelles

Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:12 pm

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras nec placerat erat. Vivamus dapibus egestas nunc, at eleifend neque. Suspendisse potenti. Sed dictum lacus eu nisl pretium vehicula. Ut faucibus hendrerit nisi. Integer ultricies orci eu ultrices malesuada. Fusce id mauris risus. Suspendisse finibus ligula et nisl rutrum efficitur. Vestibulum posuere erat pellentesque ornare venenatis. Integer commodo fermentum tortor in pharetra. Proin scelerisque consectetur posuere. Vestibulum molestie augue ac nibh feugiat scelerisque. Sed aliquet a nunc in mattis.
Last edited by SpudBlaster15 on Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
psycix
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4

Donating Members

Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:51 pm

Now what would happen to that ABS when running an oxygen enriched or like 5x mix in it? Would it still just "crack"?

SpudBlaster15
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3
Seychelles

Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:40 pm

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras nec placerat erat. Vivamus dapibus egestas nunc, at eleifend neque. Suspendisse potenti. Sed dictum lacus eu nisl pretium vehicula. Ut faucibus hendrerit nisi. Integer ultricies orci eu ultrices malesuada. Fusce id mauris risus. Suspendisse finibus ligula et nisl rutrum efficitur. Vestibulum posuere erat pellentesque ornare venenatis. Integer commodo fermentum tortor in pharetra. Proin scelerisque consectetur posuere. Vestibulum molestie augue ac nibh feugiat scelerisque. Sed aliquet a nunc in mattis.
Last edited by SpudBlaster15 on Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moonbogg
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3
United States of America

Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:33 pm

Well that doesn't look so bad! Thanks. :o
TurboSuper
Corporal 5
Corporal 5

Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:10 pm

Moonbogg wrote:They assumed it didn't, this implies noone has ever had an ABS failure? Or they are that rare lol. Dammit, I want ABS failure stories!
Someone back on Spudtech had an ABS failure. It didn't just "crack" though, a big chunk of pipe blew off.
"If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you" - Darwin Awards
Moonbogg
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3
United States of America

Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:08 am

TurboSuper wrote:
Someone back on Spudtech had an ABS failure. It didn't just "crack" though, a big chunk of pipe blew off.
Crazy, sounds intense. If I have a failure with my cellcore cannon i'll surely report it, assuming i'm still alive :) I wonder if this stuff is stronger and safer than many people give it credit for.
ALIHISGREAT
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3

Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:47 am

ABS splits. PVC shatters.

simple.

(also ABS isn't affected by cold as much as PVC)

so it many regards, cellular core ABS is better than pressure rated PVC.
psycix
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4

Donating Members

Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:31 pm

TurboSuper wrote:Someone back on Spudtech had an ABS failure. It didn't just "crack" though, a big chunk of pipe blew off.
Hmm in that way, ABS can be more dangerous then PVC in failing charasteristics!
When the pressure spike is really high, PVC would shatter in tiny tiny bits and ABS in a few large chunks.
Result: The PVC bits are so small that they are decellerated by the air within a few feet and do not have the kinetic energy to pierce skin, while the large ABS sharpnel do have a significant amount of mass (read: one tenth to half the chamber)
And as a rule of thumb with objects flying at high speed: MOAR mass = MOAR deadly

Hotwired
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3

Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:41 pm

PVC isn't tempered glass... Last half a dozen pvc failures I've seen posted here consisted of fairly sizeable bits.

I wouldn't run out a generalisation on hearing of one incident. But it would be nice to see a deliberate cellular core ABS failure. Might require a hybrid mix or perhaps a pneumatic option.

Pneumatic would probably be easiest, cap a pipe off at both ends and pump til it blows.