Free Fridge Score! [UPDATE]

A place for general potato gun questions and discussions.
FishBoy
Corporal
Corporal

Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:26 pm

Ok, so I just got a fridge from a yard sale for free, and now I want to get the compressor from it. I don't really know anything about this, so I have a few questions.

1.- Where is the best place to start?

2.- What places typically release freon as a service?

3.- If one of those places can not be found, what pressure is the freon inside generally at?

4.- What are the dangers/hazards of freon (other than ozone damage), and what precautions should be taken.

Lastly, any tips or suggestions regarding fridge compressor salvage, etc. will be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
it's 33" tall
it's 33" tall
Last edited by FishBoy on Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You polish a turd, it's still a turd"

Remember DYI!!!
FishBoy
Corporal
Corporal

Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:57 pm

Anyone?

Remember DYI!!!
john bunsenburner
Sergeant 5
Sergeant 5

Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:03 pm

I suggest that you juSt cut the pipes the freon will be at maybe 20 or so bar, if oyu just cut it do so in a well ventilated area and hold your breath if you are scared. Relly you jsut need to cut the compressor with the pipes and wires(un damaged of coarse) out, the rest is of no, or little use to you.
"Did you ever stop to think that out of the seven deadly sins envy is the only one which doesn't give the sinner even momentary pleasure"-George Will
Brian the brain
Netherlands

Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:04 pm

I just hacked through the lines.As soon as you hear a hiss, step back and wait it out.

Do it outside.

Unless ofcourse you find a method that is environmentally friendly.
Biopyro
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:30 pm

I would crimp each pipe as much as you can in a couple of places near the pump, so that hopefully it won't leak, then cut out the pump below the crimps. Hopefully that way you'll be able to avoid releasing the freon and can dispose of it safely.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. -Benjamin Franklin
john bunsenburner
Sergeant 5
Sergeant 5

Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:38 pm

Well you could jsut as well get soem one to remove the freon for you and then take the compressor depends on how ecofriendly you are, and they are starting to ban freon, so only a few more years that we have to put up with this then we can jsut let the gas out or set ti on fire(in the case of propane)
"Did you ever stop to think that out of the seven deadly sins envy is the only one which doesn't give the sinner even momentary pleasure"-George Will
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:34 pm

If it's like some other freons (eg. DCFM)- duster can freons they are so cold, that many will burn your skin, several ignite easily..all bad things to breathe in.

Do it outdoors, during the middle of the day when neighbours/family or whatever are out if you can. Then allow all the gasses to go off elsewhere (yes you're destroying the ozone layer, but no more than kids used to shooting green gas (propane) bb guns.. Then claim your compressor..done.

The most important parts being don't get it on your skin, don't inhale it and keep it away from flames in good ventilation.
PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
FishBoy
Corporal
Corporal

Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:47 pm

inonickname wrote:If it's like some other freons (eg. DCFM)- duster can freons they are so cold, that many will burn your skin, several ignite easily..all bad things to breathe in.

Do it outdoors, during the middle of the day when neighbours/family or whatever are out if you can. Then allow all the gasses to go off elsewhere (yes you're destroying the ozone layer, but no more than kids used to shooting green gas (propane) bb guns.. Then claim your compressor..done.

The most important parts being don't get it on your skin, don't inhale it and keep it away from flames in good ventilation.
I these precautions are taken, is it relatively safe?

Also, where (which tube) do I pierce/cut and what is the best way to do it?

Remember DYI!!!
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:28 pm

I think it is safe.. just do it outside

I made the first cut and then waited before it leaked out and then the second one... ohh and I used pruning shears to cut it out
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
FishBoy
Corporal
Corporal

Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:43 pm

I realise I will have to cut all the lines at some point, but which should I cut first and which contain freon? Also, what is the black line that coils up the back of the fridge?

Remember DYI!!!
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:31 pm

normally there should be 3 tubes sticking out of a compressor (rarely there are more):

+ an air inlet,
+ air outlet
+ and the last one which was used to fill it with freon (it should be already sealed/closed off/soldered... so there is no need to cut it and you shouldn't do it)

it doesn't matter in what order you cut them as it is one circut (so all of them contain freon)

I'd do it like this (red is where you should cut)
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (7.78 KiB) Viewed 3190 times
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
Biopyro
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:07 am

Actually the freon in the fridge is neither poisonous or flammable. At sea level, it is very inert, and the only problem you'll have is asphyxiation from it if you do it indoors.
Propane is not a freon gas and doesnt harm the ozone layer, so kids can keep running about with BB guns (it is a powerful greenhouse gas though).
You can get it on your skin, although it'll be cold, and breathing small amounts isn't a problem, but it's not really pleasant. Freon is so non-flammable, that it was used is a similar form as a fire extinguishing chemical. It is extremely effective but of course totally ruined the ozone.
My advice would be to try and keep it in the fridge's system, if only for your conscience.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. -Benjamin Franklin
FishBoy
Corporal
Corporal

Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:53 pm

Question- What is the liquid inside the tubes?

Remember DYI!!!
john bunsenburner
Sergeant 5
Sergeant 5

Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:57 pm

Commonly called Freon gas:
wikipedia wrote:The haloalkanes (also known as halogenoalkanes or alkyl halides) are a group of chemical compounds, consisting of alkanes, such as methane or ethane, with one or more halogens linked, such as chlorine or fluorine, making them a type of organic halide. They are a subset of the halocarbons, similar to haloalkenes and haloaromatics. They are known under many chemical and commercial names. As flame retardants, fire extinguishants, refrigerants, propellants and solvents they have or had wide use. Some haloalkanes (those containing chlorine or bromine) have been shown to have negative effects on the environment such as ozone depletion. The most widely known family within this group is the chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs).
FishBoy
Corporal
Corporal

Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:06 pm

I know there is freon gas, but what is the liquid?

Remember DYI!!!