camera projectile

A place for general potato gun questions and discussions.
spudtyrrant
Corporal
Corporal

Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:51 am

hey guys i'm going to be buying this http://cgi.ebay.com/WIRELESS-HELMET-CAM ... 286.c0.m14 soon and i'm going to make it into a projectile need some advice on making a projectile that can handle impacts could you guys throw me some ideas
qwerty
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:50 am

Wrap it in bubble wrap?
I visit occasionally to make unrelated posts.
Carlman
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:37 pm

For fucks sake, SEARCH!!

Seriously mate its been discussed so many times before. One of such threads was mine.

G-force of the launch will have a much harder impact on it then the landing.
Aussie spudders unite!!
Mr.Sandman
Corporal 3
Corporal 3

Donating Members

Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:46 pm

spudtyrrant wrote:hey guys i'm going to be buying this http://cgi.ebay.com/WIRELESS-HELMET-CAM ... 286.c0.m14 soon and i'm going to make it into a projectile need some advice on making a projectile that can handle impacts could you guys throw me some ideas
Hmm all i know is that if i paid 69 bucks lol 69 for a camera i wouldnt be shooting it out of something anytime soon. I could see it working but maybe cast an epoxy shell for it then wrap bubble wrap.
Yeah, it's that important.
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:48 pm

qwerty wrote:Wrap it in bubble wrap?
The guy that runs crazybuilders has launched a camera. Some of the helmet cameras are quite durable. He doesn't mention the camera launch much in his post. The camera launch is part of his video. May wish to look to see what he did.

http://www.crazybuilders.com/item.php?i ... ct_section

The biggest problem is the possibility of a lost projectile. Camera video starts at about 5 minutes into the video.
Last edited by Technician1002 on Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spudtyrrant
Corporal
Corporal

Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:53 pm

Technician1002 wrote: The guy that runs crazybuilders has launched a camera.
that's where i got the idea from but i was wondering if the forces from his cannon are comparative to the forces from mine plus it needs to be a 3" projectile, be stabilized and be able to survive a fall at terminal velocity more than one time if need be.
Mr.Sandman
Corporal 3
Corporal 3

Donating Members

Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:02 pm

spudtyrrant wrote:
that's where i got the idea from but i was wondering if the forces from his cannon are comparative to the forces from mine plus it needs to be a 3" projectile, be stabilized and be able to survive a fall at terminal velocity more than one time if need be.
Also, try adding fins to it to stabalize the projectile so you can get a good view of the flight.
Yeah, it's that important.
spudtyrrant
Corporal
Corporal

Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Mr.Sandman wrote: Also, try adding fins to it to stabilize the projectile so you can get a good view of the flight.
yeah i planned on that a tumbling flight might not make for a very good video
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:07 pm

spudtyrrant wrote:
From firing "Antenna Launchers" that launch lines over trees, I have given some of these items some consideration. With a high power cannon it is possible to overshoot your target and cause damage beyond your intended landing site. This led to the development of launching heavier line tossing projectiles with a way to limit terminal velocity to safe levels. The goal was to place a line over 2 70 foot tall trees 300 feet apart and not land the line into a third tree 80 feet beyond that.

I filled two water bottles with water and tied them together with 450 feet of mason line. One bottle was launched while the other just sat on the ground. When the line ran out, the second bottle was lifted and moved closer to the first tree from the launch site. The second bottle slowed way down and dropped over the second tree but didn't reach the third. We ended with the line over both trees with both bottles on the ground between 25 to 50 feet from the trees.

Sorry no pics. Busy with a crowd of people to mess with the camera. I have another outing next month. Maybe I'll get shots of the line high between 2 trees.

Are you going for an altitude shot, or distance shot?
spudtyrrant
Corporal
Corporal

Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:15 pm

Technician1002 wrote:Are you going for an altitude shot, or distance shot?
most likely altitude but possibly distance if i can find a place that i won't loose my camera considering it is projected to shoot a 20 ounce projectile somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 a mile i don't want to take my chances although that also rules out the idea of using string because i would rather not carry 2000' of string with me and then rewind it for each shot
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:28 pm

spudtyrrant wrote:
Technician1002 wrote:Are you going for an altitude shot, or distance shot?
most likely altitude but possibly distance if i can find a place that i won't loose my camera considering it is projected to shoot a 20 ounce projectile somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 a mile i don't want to take my chances although that also rules out the idea of using string because i would rather not carry 2000' of string with me and then rewind it for each shot
No need to carry 2,000 feet of string. A trailing 100 feet is fairly easy to see. It tends to trail the projectile and all land in a pile within 20 feet of the projectile, but unlike the projectile that hides under bushes and in tall grass, the string drapes over everything it falls on. Spotting bright pink string in a field of grass and brush is much easier than finding a pop bottle tossed into a hayfield.

A very small drag chute helps the string fall a little more spread out. A ping pong ball works well.
twizi
Corporal
Corporal

Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:12 pm

some cevlar some epoxy and some luck also maybe a parachute that would be cool!
THUNDERLORD
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:52 pm

Those recycle bins for old cellphones seem to have potential.
Even the batteries alone seem worth salvaging.
I saw a full box of them in a college dorm lobby at beginning of summer.

Surely one or more had cameras probably.
I was interested for night vision/ IR conversion components though.
edit: also for spy/security cams and listening devices. 8)
-----SPEED,STRENGTH, AND ACCURACY.-----
"Procrastination" is five syllables for "Sloth".
Theopia 8)
Born To Be Alive!