how did you get into cannons?

A place for general potato gun questions and discussions.
PCGUY
Owner
Owner
United States of America

Thu May 11, 2006 3:58 pm

"let the glue dry for 24 hours" concept, TEN MINUTES, went by and it worked,
The 24 hours is still true, just becuase you can fire a combusiton after 10min of drying does not mean that it's safe. Fill it with 125psi after 10min and watch the pieces fly apart.

I started by seeing the dude from Backyard Ballistics on TechTV, found spudtech, worked up made spudfiles worked some more became admin and SpudFiles started getting big and here we are :oops: .
Yes, I am the guy that owns & operates SpudFiles (along with our extremely helpful moderators).
WOW!!
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:17 pm

PCGUY wrote:
"let the glue dry for 24 hours" concept, TEN MINUTES, went by and it worked,
The 24 hours is still true, just becuase you can fire a combusiton after 10min of drying does not mean that it's safe. Fill it with 125psi after 10min and watch the pieces fly apart.

I started by seeing the dude from Backyard Ballistics on TechTV, found spudtech, worked up made spudfiles worked some more became admin and SpudFiles started getting big and here we are :oops: .
I saw that too. A couple of weeks went buy and I got some stuff and made a combustion and it was standing stright up and it was the first time I used it and the end cap BLOW off and set the cannon up ward and I was hooked. Lol good times. Tho the windows in my garage wish I hadent.
PVC Arsenal 17
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3

Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:41 pm

I found the Backyard Ballistics book in a toy magazine and finally got it. I was set on building a pnuematic which I finally did but it all started with a pill bottle combustion a few years ago.

Since, my basement and garage are loaded with all sorts of PVC and stuff. I've become a full blown homemade weapon maniac! None have ever been used to hurt anything though, of course. I just enjoy the sense of pride that every new contraption brings.
dinsdale
Private 4
Private 4

Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:48 pm

High school welding class, Acetylene and oxygen filled into an upside down coffe can on the ground, put flame to it and see how high the can goes
MrCrowley

Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:28 pm

i saw some guys shooting spuds into the ocean, the cops came so i thought if the cops dont like it i do :!: :twisted: all my friends thought it was too hard and abandoned me on my first combustion which i sucesuffly(sp?) completed with pride last year:roll: 8)
Velocity
Sergeant
Sergeant

Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:44 pm

My story is a long one...

My friend and I were bored one day, and so he took a match and the box, and pressed the head of the match hard against the box. He then flicked it... it went off, and flew through the air for about 7 feet. I thought this was cool, so I did it a couple times. Wanting more distance, I looked up "matches" on google, and found something called match rockets. I studied these for a while, and finally found Backyard Ballistics. I bought the book, and tried many times to make match rockets (never worked... argh). I continued looking online for books similar to Backyard Ballistics (NEEDED TO BUILD A WORKING MATCH ROCKET!!!), and I found out about vaccuum bazookas. Found a website, and build one (first time I ever bought PVC). It was cool. I was looking through Backyard Ballistics some time later, and I came to a section entitled "Pneuton's Petard" (it was basically a ball valve pneumatic). I decided to build it, just because I had finally gained a bit of experience with PVC pipe. I didn't build the combustion one due to noise. So I build it, and it was awesome, and from there on, I was hooked on pneumatics, but never on combustions...
Brian the brain
Netherlands

Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:06 am

Back in 1984 my brother and I made a pingpong ball cannon out of a bikepump and some bike tube...
In 1988 I made my first crossbow, followed by a samurai sword..
Then I started building blowguns ( electric pvc- pipe) "conceiled"in real life gun replica's ( ak47 and m16 mostly.
Later I built a bat that could shoot an arrow, a rubber band gun( 12 rubber bands propelling an arrow) some bows etc.
Then I grew up...
Then I got bored one day and built a marble gun, that used pulleys and 40 strong rubber bands to shoot a marble half way into a solid door.
Then I tried some solid proppelant-designs...none worked.
Al this time I wanted to make my own airgun.I read about .45 airguns being legal in my country...saw the price..and decided I could better build my own...

I think I've been doing it forever...
Gun Freak wrote:
Oh my friggin god stop being so awesome, that thing is pure kick ass. Most innovative and creative pneumatic that the files have ever come by!

Can't ask for a better compliment!!