Semi Auto QDV Airgun

A place for general potato gun questions and discussions.
ByeBye
Private
Private

Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:44 pm

This is just a pneumatic, but loading, firing and refilling is done in one stroke.

Charged:
Firing:

EDIT: I forgot to draw a spring in front of the bolt:
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:47 pm

I can't see how this counts as a QDV. The valve is only moved manually, and doesn't have a pneumatic "kick" to open the valve.

It also looks like it'd be a pig to get all of those seals to work.
Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:55 pm

Yes, I've obviously tried something vaguely similar :)

Mr. Ragnarok makes some valid points though, there are easier and more efficient ways to achieve a semi...
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
ByeBye
Private
Private

Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:55 pm

Ragnarok wrote:I can't see how this counts as a QDV.
This is the piston of the QDV
Here you can see the air pushing the piston back when is fires.Image

@ JSR, I still see some difference in operation xP
(btw, what do you use to draw those diagrams?)
Last edited by ByeBye on Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saefroch
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:03 pm

I'm almost dead sure this isn't a QDV.

I concur with Ragnarok, it'd be a real PITA to get those seals to line up. I think you'd have to relate (and with great precision) the spring constant for the two different springs to the location of the holes.

Not only that, but the opening speed of this valve would be incredibly slow. If you don't push the big cylinder forward hard enough it'd probably just fart, because as soon as the valve opens the pressure introduced into the barrel forces the firing mechanism back and tries to shut the seals. By comparison, as soon as a QDV is triggered, the airflow forces the valve open faster, not slower.

And also a side note, if I take your diagram literally, there's a very good chance that it would simply dump the magazine out the barrel if you bumped it even the slightest. There's nothing keeping the top BB from slipping down the barrel.

Aside from all of that I do LOVE the concept. This has inspired me to work on a design I've left lying around for far too long.

I'd actually just take all the springs off and operate the center cylinder manually through a sealed rod out the back of the rest of the valve. That'd let pneumatic forces take over, instead of being constantly restrained by the springs.
ByeBye
Private
Private

Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:11 pm

So... Ready for the trashbin.
Thx for the replies and saving me a lot of time and money building something that won't work :D
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:12 pm

ByeBye wrote:This is the piston of the QDV
Ah... the positioning of the arrow implied something different (air flowing through, rather than that being a plug/cap), but seeing that - yeah, I guess that counts.
My comments on the seals still stand though, and as Jack said, still rather complex for what it's actually trying to do.

What's your plan for stopping it kicking back violently on firing?
If the chamber and valve have been pushed forwards, the recoil kick is going to be directed into just them... and whatever pushed them forwards.

That said, pulling them forward with a spring (so the user's hand is not directly implicated) would help that. Heck, get the combination right with that and you could go full auto.
btw, what do you use to draw those diagrams?
Jack's diagrams, as far as I know, are often just scanned drawings that get some colour in Paint.
Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
saefroch
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:14 pm

Drawing up alternate design for you, ByeBye. Your concept will work, I think.
Last edited by saefroch on Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ByeBye
Private
Private

Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:19 pm

Ragnarok wrote:
ByeBye wrote:This is the piston of the QDV
What's your plan for stopping it kicking back violently on firing?
I was thinking about a piece of rubber in the spring..
Ragnarok wrote:That said, pulling them forward with a spring (so the user's hand is not directly implicated) would help that.
What? sry, it's 1:15 AM here :P
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:33 pm

Ragnarok wrote:Jack's diagrams, as far as I know, are often just scanned drawings that get some colour in Paint.
Precisely how the above were made, however these days I prefer to use paint directly.

I've whittled down your design a little (and it comes out somewhat similar to the electric drive design, though crucually with a larger diameter bolt which means it would achieve blowback) this would work and would be much simpler to implement.
Attachments
Remember there's always a simpler way of doing things, and it's usually better ;)
Remember there's always a simpler way of doing things, and it's usually better ;)
lite.GIF (3.97 KiB) Viewed 7224 times
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
saefroch
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:50 pm

JSR: Wouldn't that design have a tendency to shut as soon as the valve opens? Isn't there a net force moving the piston to the right as soon as the ports align?
Gun Freak
Lieutenant 5
Lieutenant 5

Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:53 pm

It looks pretty ballanced to me, putting a spring in front should be enough...
OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:56 pm

saefroch wrote:JSR: Wouldn't that design have a tendency to shut as soon as the valve opens? Isn't there a net force moving the piston to the right as soon as the ports align?
That's the idea, the air pressure would fire the projectile and reset the bolt at the same time, there's the potential for full auto with a bit of fiddling ;)
saefroch
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:56 pm

Would this be a semi-auto QDV then?
jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:That's the idea, the air pressure would fire the projectile and reset the bolt at the same time, there's the potential for full auto with a bit of fiddling
Isn't there then a good possibility less than all of the air inside the piston would be used to propel the projectile? Certainly a good full-auto design, but wouldn't it be decidedly lacking for semi-auto?
ByeBye
Private
Private

Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:22 pm

How about this?
Attachments
Semi Auto Pneumatic.png
Semi Auto Pneumatic.png (6.17 KiB) Viewed 7139 times
semiauto pneumatic firing 2.png
semiauto pneumatic firing 2.png (13.31 KiB) Viewed 7138 times