Question

A place for general potato gun questions and discussions.
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:38 pm

Who do you think is the fastest learner? Cannon building wise. Don't pick yourself... :P

I have mine all ready but I want to know who your pick is before I reveal my pick.

This is just a question of opinion not a contest or anything like that. :D
Gun Freak
Lieutenant 5
Lieutenant 5

Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:52 pm

I think warhead caught on to stuff pretty quickly. Not sure how much he already knew though :wink:
OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
clemsonguy1125
Sergeant 5
Sergeant 5

Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:55 pm

I was gonna say, Warhead has become a top poster and one of the biggest helps to newbs pretty quickly, Id say Gun Freak did as well, but my pick would be Warhead.
That is all.
mark.f
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4
Eritrea

Donating Members

Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:25 pm

Hard to say... most people do a fair bit of research and experimentation before even registering here...
Gun Freak
Lieutenant 5
Lieutenant 5

Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:32 pm

mark.f wrote:Hard to say... most people do a fair bit of research and experimentation before even registering here...
jsefcik would be a perfect example.
OG Anti-Hybrid
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
jsefcik
Sergeant 2
Sergeant 2

Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:01 pm

Gun Freak wrote:
mark.f wrote:Hard to say... most people do a fair bit of research and experimentation before even registering here...
jsefcik would be a perfect example.

hahahaha,, shut up
Gun Freak
Lieutenant 5
Lieutenant 5

Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:14 pm

lol, oops :D
OG Anti-Hybrid
Holy Shat!
Fnord
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:02 pm

It's not me.
Example:

In mspaint, if you right click with the 'eraser' tool, it will chroma-key erase only the primary color you have selected, leaving all other colors alone.

I discovered this yesterday. It took me over a decade.

edit. Purely cannon related? Hmm... it still took me a while.
My progression was: Rubberband power > Ducttape and ballvalves > mini combustion > piston hybrid > basic combustion > piston pneumatics > coilgun > advanced combustion > traditional wooden bows.

I'd like to see someone try to analyze that.
Last edited by Fnord on Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MrCrowley

Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:04 pm

Fnord wrote:It's not me.
Example:

In mspaint, if you right click with the 'eraser' tool, it will chroma-key erase only the primary color you have selected, leaving all other colors alone.

I discovered this yesterday. It took me over a decade.
Holy crap! That's awesome :D
Zeus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:13 pm

Fnord, I'll hail you as a god from here on.

On topic, I'd agree, Warhead for the amount of time he's been her, has done well. But don't forget Larda, he's done better than almost all of us. DYI
Last edited by Zeus on Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/sarcasm, /hyperbole
Gun Freak
Lieutenant 5
Lieutenant 5

Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:30 pm

Lol I didn't know that either. I'll have to try it out. As a kid I drew some whacky things with MS paint. I'll post one of the things I drew as it is kind of relevant to the site. Tomorrow though.
OG Anti-Hybrid
Holy Shat!
jimmy101
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
United States of America

Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:12 pm

How far back do you want to go?

Moonbogg and Tech picked things up pretty quick, though both had a pretty good background in things that go boom before coming to spudguns.
warhead052
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3

Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:58 pm

Gun Freak wrote:I think warhead caught on to stuff pretty quickly. Not sure how much he already knew though :wink:
I honestly knew nothing about spud guns except for the one that every knows about. The traditional spray and pray. Thanks for the complement!

Hmm, its kind of hard to pick who would be the fastest learner. I would say mattyzip, but he is still in the pneumatic area.
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:22 pm

My progress has been slow with much learning over a long period of time. My past is littered with failures. I had about 20 years of launching stuff on weekends and odd times before I came to SF.

I didn't come with quick learning. I came with many years of experience.

Anyone at my level that has been at it for less then 5 years learned much faster than I did. SF has much more information online than I ever had access to when I started.

One of my first launchers was built before I had Internet, even dial up. Anyone remember Compuserve and dial up BBS? In storage I still have a 300 baud genuine Hayes Smartmodem.
MrCrowley

Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:27 pm

Technician1002 wrote:Anyone at my level that has been at it for less then 5 years learned much faster than I did. SF has much more information online than I ever had access to when I started.
I brought this point up earlier with jrrdw in another thread, the amount of information on Spudfiles is staggering even when compared to only 4 or 5 years ago.

Back then we had a handful of large piston valved pneumatics, very few people were using pressures over 350PSI, no fridge compressors, only a couple of hybrids, most hybrids were made of PVC and used water to aid in metering, full-auto was achieved via a cloud or vortex design almost exclusively and everyone was scared of DDT :D
In terms of pneumatics and hybrids, people have it a lot easier now I think. Not that that's a complaint, it shows we're progressing.

That's how I remember 2007/08 anyway.

Dial it back 20 years and people were probably only just beginning to use sprinkler valves.