new sabot idea

A place for general potato gun questions and discussions.
voi9viper
Private
Private

Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:27 pm

My GF actually came up with this. I need to launch bait and lead, and ice is just too much work, melts, etc. I was making up some easier to use molds from silicon when she suggested a section of dense foam with the fishing line threaded through it. the bait would sink and the foam sabot would not really interfere with me surf fishing, even during a catch. Has anyone tried it, and did it work? If the idea is viable I need to make a 2" pool noodle cutter, or find an easier source for dense foam rod.
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:36 am

Make a hot wire cutter, or you can buy one...Does water soak into pool noodles? That could ...dampin things. :mrgreen:
voi9viper
Private
Private

Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:56 pm

already made a hot wire cutter, but the first test just shredded the foam. I'm going to try solid fizzie sabot, citric acid, baking soda, and kaolin clay. 1 part citric to 2 parts baking soda, and'll ad clay for dried hardness. I will post results as I get them. What this makes is a bath bomb that dissovles very fast in water and is harmless.
I also realized why I had so much trouble with ice bullets. I was using PVC for molds, and it's very hard to get the ice bullet out of the mold. Duh, the water expands 9%, locking the ice in the pipe. I'm going to try silicon molds which should be easier.
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:46 am

For the ice slugs did you leave one end open? Always got to leave room for expansion. Wont the silicon stretch allowing the ice to expand past the bore size? Destabilize the ice slug and you'll be making slushies 10' out of the muzzle L0L.

What kind of wire did you use for the hot wire? Being as how you were cutting a type of plastic was it melting back together as the wire passed through?