ejection methods

A place for general potato gun questions and discussions.
pyromanic13
Corporal 5
Corporal 5

Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:15 pm

can you guys tell me of as many different carterage ejection methods (that guns use) that you guys can think of? I'm not haveing very good luck on google.

so far someone has told me a small portion of gas is sent back to push the carterage out *I think he mixed this up wil the line thatreturns the bolt*

-thanks
Movie dialogue: "The good die first."
Tom: "But most of us are morally ambiguous, which explains our random dying
patterns."
Bluetooth
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:19 pm

I don't think there are many cartridge spud guns. You could make a revolver like Revolver X at http://www.advancedspuds.com .
pyromanic13
Corporal 5
Corporal 5

Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:23 pm

thanks but the carterages are like mini hybrids sealed with a marble... so it's pretty close to an actual gun.

I need ejection methods ripped straight from REAL guns
patterns."
judgment_arms
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3
Location: Not so beautiful North Carolina, but at least it’s the U.S.A.!

Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:50 pm

HAHA, Pyromanic13, you need to be a little more specific. Do you mean the extractors, or do you mean cycling methods? If you mean extractors check out “Bolt Sniper” he’s come up with a simple yet effective extractor system. If cycling methods then try to make a slide action, or my favorite a lever-gun. What type of gun are you trying to make, what do you plan on doing with it? what are you going to shoot, target wise? Anything that would make are job a bit easier.
Call me "Judge", it's easier to type.

Spud gun safety rules
iknowmy3tables
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
United States of America

Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:18 pm

well what you had going was pretty good with the long action and gravity eject/drop, but try applying real firearm mechanics... on alot of guns the bolt has two spring clamp things that click onto the rim of the bullet and their is a stopper that the rim hits and flicks off, in this case may a bent strip of spring (not the coil spring) on the inside wall of the reciver/piston/bolt holder or what ever you want to call it. Its hard to explain so I'll put it this way when the bolt slides over the spring it's just pushed flat, when the cartridge slides over spring, the spring bounce back up and pushes the cart ridge out,
its hard to say in words and i may just have made no sence and sound like a A-hole but it you want I could make a diagram
judgment_arms
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:36 pm

I know how firearms work, I base a lot of my designs on firearms, someday a plan on being a gunsmith. As for extractors, if I understand you right and you’re talking about my 200call auto-cannon, I’m going to use brass it’s strong, cheep, flexible enough to work, as for the ejector at the front of the reservoir, just behind the breach, I’ll have a peace of brass that pushes the spent case out of the way. When the bolt slides forward with the new round, the bolt pushes the ejector out of the way, when the bolt slides back it pushes the brass flipper out which in turn pushes the spent case out. Understand?

Spud gun safety rules
pyromanic13
Corporal 5
Corporal 5

Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:04 pm

[img=http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/807/untitledaz7.th.png]

I think I understand the concept.... I can make this work.

-thanks
patterns."
judgment_arms
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:24 pm

Indeed. Just remember that if the ejector is engaged when you push in the round it will try to throw out the round just as if it had been extracted. It’s not smart, the extractor, for a small bore weapon, I did understand you right and you making a fifty, try this as it will be simpler, on the bolt have one extractor, a hook that grabs the spent case, and an ejector a brass flap that pushes on the side of the spent case, have a it so when the bolt moves back far enough for the spent case (from here on out I’m going to call it “brass” because that’s what I’m use to) to clear the breach the extractor, the hook, disengages there by allowing the ejector, the brass flap, to throw out the brass. Understand?
Here’s some advice:
When try to figure out how to make something look at how it was first done. I.E. the first machine gun.
Use http://www.ask.com it’s a lot easer than Google.
Also if you want feel free to E-mail me or P.M. me. Guns are my hobby, spudgun, air guns, and firearms. Plus I get bored a lot.

Well I think I’ve said enough for now, good luck

Spud gun safety rules
pyromanic13
Corporal 5
Corporal 5

Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:43 pm

so is the brass flap, (pushing on the carterage) kepping the hook engadged with the carterage untill it gets far enough back... then the case falls out of the gun?

thats what I got out of it. I'm sorry I'm much better at understanding pics then words.

-thanks alot for your help!

ps. why is the method I drew bad for small stuff?
patterns."
iknowmy3tables
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
United States of America

Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:33 pm

He’s talking about firearm ejector mechanics, first he’s pointing out that we need to make the cartridge eject only when the bolt is far enough back (duh) and restating the basics of the ejection method we’re talking about, yet some how he left out more details and still made it harder to understand
Bluetooth
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:45 pm

Look up machine guns and how they work at http://www.howstuffworks.com . They have how gatling guns work too and almost anything else you want to know about.
pyromanic13
Corporal 5
Corporal 5

Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:15 pm

already did that... the carterages just dissappear in their animations
patterns."
Bluetooth
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:50 pm

No they don't just disappear. A bullet is dropped into the gun, the bolt pushes it forward, it is ignited and the bolt pulls it back and without the tip of the bullet that is fired off it can fall through the hole in the bottom.
iknowmy3tables
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
United States of America

Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:08 pm

there's a great article that you can read that comes with the diagram :wink: , but pyromanic13 is right they don't show the detail on the ejection devices, all the gun systems use the same bolt ejection method.
but you could use the belt feed principle only for pushing out cartridges instead of feeding them
judgment_arms
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:02 pm

Yeah, sorry for confusing people…I was half asleep. Any way I posted a pic that shows how extractors work, sort of. Sorry for the crudeness, I was in a hurry. Later I’ll post one that shows the ejectors too. Hope it helps
Attachments
did it work?
did it work?
extractors.JPG (8.38 KiB) Viewed 2258 times

Spud gun safety rules