awkward feelings.

A place for general potato gun questions and discussions.
Bubba05
Corporal
Corporal

Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:40 am

I think we need public education in the hobby to get awerness out there for us. The problem is people only ever here the bad side. That is kids blowing themselves up. Or getting shot with one

Bubba
pyromaniac
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:11 am

TurboSuper wrote:Most people know someone who knows someone who built a basic hairspray cannon. When I tell them about the more advanced ones they say things like "these people have too much free time...blah blah".

The people who don't know jack squat think it's too dangerous, or compare it to a bomb, or some such.
i know i made a smalish combustion gun 1 foot of 1 inch chamber street elbows then to a 2 foot one inch barrel. i was useing oust for propellant. Then my older cousins start makeing fun of me. O are you going to start useing gasoline in that? Then some how they get on to saying im going to have a son named ttrever and he's a wreck. For some reason this imaginary "trever" eats my dog. I dont know they are dumb.

I wouldn't use gas because it corodes the pvc. and i've done reserch all all types of spud guns. They have only made a simple hairspray spudgun. never pnuematic.
:pottytrain3:
Modderxtrordanare
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Donating Members

Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:16 am

pyromaniac wrote:
TurboSuper wrote:Most people know someone who knows someone who built a basic hairspray cannon. When I tell them about the more advanced ones they say things like "these people have too much free time...blah blah".

The people who don't know jack squat think it's too dangerous, or compare it to a bomb, or some such.
i know i made a smalish combustion gun 1 foot of 1 inch chamber street elbows then to a 2 foot one inch barrel. i was useing oust for propellant. Then my older cousins start makeing fun of me. O are you going to start useing gasoline in that? Then some how they get on to saying im going to have a son named ttrever and he's a wreck. For some reason this imaginary "trever" eats my dog. I dont know they are dumb.

I wouldn't use gas because it corodes the pvc. and i've done reserch all all types of spud guns. They have only made a simple hairspray spudgun. never pnuematic.
Gasoline does not corrode PVC.
pyromaniac
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:18 am

Modderxtrordanare wrote:
pyromaniac wrote:

yes gas does corrode pvc.
Modderxtrordanare
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Donating Members

Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:29 am

pyromaniac wrote:
Modderxtrordanare wrote:
pyromaniac wrote:

yes gas does corrode pvc.
*Cue Gort*
SpudBlaster15
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3
Seychelles

Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:42 am

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras nec placerat erat. Vivamus dapibus egestas nunc, at eleifend neque. Suspendisse potenti. Sed dictum lacus eu nisl pretium vehicula. Ut faucibus hendrerit nisi. Integer ultricies orci eu ultrices malesuada. Fusce id mauris risus. Suspendisse finibus ligula et nisl rutrum efficitur. Vestibulum posuere erat pellentesque ornare venenatis. Integer commodo fermentum tortor in pharetra. Proin scelerisque consectetur posuere. Vestibulum molestie augue ac nibh feugiat scelerisque. Sed aliquet a nunc in mattis.
Last edited by SpudBlaster15 on Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bubba05
Corporal
Corporal

Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:44 am

You sure about that mate? Ive seen barrel fires before with some pretty bad results to the PVC? multen goop where the barrel was!!

Bubba
Modderxtrordanare
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Donating Members

Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:49 am

Bubba05 wrote:You sure about that mate? Ive seen barrel fires before with some pretty bad results to the PVC? multen goop where the barrel was!!

Bubba
Was there fire involved?
Bubba05
Corporal
Corporal

Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:53 am

umm Barrel fire? but assuming your using gas in a combustion cannon? gas is not good for the health of your spud gun!

Bubba
SpudBlaster15
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3
Seychelles

Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:56 am

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras nec placerat erat. Vivamus dapibus egestas nunc, at eleifend neque. Suspendisse potenti. Sed dictum lacus eu nisl pretium vehicula. Ut faucibus hendrerit nisi. Integer ultricies orci eu ultrices malesuada. Fusce id mauris risus. Suspendisse finibus ligula et nisl rutrum efficitur. Vestibulum posuere erat pellentesque ornare venenatis. Integer commodo fermentum tortor in pharetra. Proin scelerisque consectetur posuere. Vestibulum molestie augue ac nibh feugiat scelerisque. Sed aliquet a nunc in mattis.
Last edited by SpudBlaster15 on Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Modderxtrordanare
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Donating Members

Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:56 am

Bubba05 wrote:umm Barrel fire?Bubba
That fire is the reason the pvc turned into "molten goop" not the gasoline.

I don't make combustion guns, so it doesn't matter. I prefer pneumatics.
pyromaniac
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:01 pm

OK but gas is bad for pvc right?
Velocity
Sergeant
Sergeant

Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:05 pm

No, gasoline is not bad for spudguns... check out the link that SpudBlaster provided.

If you have seen molten barrels from burning gasoline, try putting a propane torch to your launcher.
Bubba05
Corporal
Corporal

Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:06 pm

Well can I ask how in the hell would your pnematic come into contact with Petrol? Well viewing the artical that was submited (Hate to sound like a science geek but hello!) Ok this is not starting an argument but food for thort.
There is no way that said poster of artical was able to cheak a molecular change in the plastic. Now if petrol can strip the coular out of ABS and make it quite brittle, assuming that it would to an extent be obsorbed by the PVC and change it on a molecular level. Such a change probly would not be able to be detected. and there was no follow up over days, weeks, months, years?
Now admitting that i dont know wether soaking PVC in petrol would affect PVC in any way!
What I was origanaly getting at that if you are using petrol in your cannon of corse its going to catch fire and burn.

Sorry for any confusion

Bubba
Modderxtrordanare
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Donating Members

Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:14 pm

There is no way that said poster of artical was able to cheak a molecular change in the plastic.
He checked and compared all the physical properties of the sections of pipe to that of a control group, the gas soaked one was unchanged, where as the one soaked in laquer thinner was destroyed.

Another test was done, measuring the mass and volume of a section of pipe, and then soaking it in gas and allowing it to dry. They then re-measured and it had no loss what so ever.

Gasoline has no effect on PVC pipe, fire does however.