Widescreen Monitors/Site Width

Voice your input! Discuss anything to do with SpudFiles.com or community it's self. Constructive discussions only. This is a place to express thoughts about making the community better.
PCGUY
Owner
Owner
United States of America

Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:02 pm

Alright, so who all here has widescreen monitors?

I was one of the crazy people who camped out at BestBuy on Black Friday (huge sale day after Thanksgiving) and I got 2 22" LCD monitors for my computer.

All I have to say is HOLY COW it's nice!

But I noticed, I never designed SpudFiles for wide screen monitors! Everything looked awful, so stretched out.

So I just changed the width settings to a static number on SpudFiles, so everyone sees it exactly the same way.

For those of you who noticed, what do you think?
Yes, I am the guy that owns & operates SpudFiles (along with our extremely helpful moderators).
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:11 pm

I think i'm jelous i don't have it! Post some pics so we can see, those of us who don't have it that is.
JDP12
Staff Sergeant 5
Staff Sergeant 5

Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:17 pm

ugh 22" LCD!!!! I'm jealous, i have a crap monitor that has to warm up for like 10 minutes to get all the redness out of it.. lol..
"Some say his pet elephant is pink, and that he has no understanding of "PG rated forum". All we know is, he's called JSR. "
PCGUY
Owner
Owner
United States of America

Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:18 pm

Alright here we go...

It's hard to get a good picture, especially one to justify how huge these look. So for a size comparison, I put a standard sized game case in front to show how tall/wide these screens are.

See how on the right monitor, SpudFiles has large dark areas next to it? That is due to the change I just made. Before SpudFiles would have fit all the way across the monitor, but it made everything look totally out of proportion and just awful!

Great deal - Only $200/monitor.
Attachments
sweet.jpg
Yes, I am the guy that owns & operates SpudFiles (along with our extremely helpful moderators).
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:20 pm

I was wondering what the hell happened, I have a 19" TFT myself. I don't like the aspect ratio of the widescreens though, it just doesn't look right.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
JDP12
Staff Sergeant 5
Staff Sergeant 5

Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:21 pm

(drools) i want those, what kind are they- i cant really make out the name on the bottom
lol
Very nice, and is that halo 3 i see??

I wish i had 360, i just have regular xbox :(
"Some say his pet elephant is pink, and that he has no understanding of "PG rated forum". All we know is, he's called JSR. "
sandman
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:25 pm

dreamweaver ftw?

anyway, there is so much room around spudfiles you could put like a coloring section to pass the time lol

but thanks for fixing the prob before i encountered it, as we are going to get a 24" imac before Christmas :)
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:27 pm

Was that 200 each? You didn't make the news this time. Wish i had spare money for wide screen anything, lol! Good deal man, congrats....... :lol:

The sales rep at Gateway told me flat screens where no good for gaming? True? Untrue?
Last edited by jrrdw on Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dewey-1
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:29 pm

--
Last edited by dewey-1 on Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JDP12
Staff Sergeant 5
Staff Sergeant 5

Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:31 pm

wow- that's gotta be nice dewey, all you lucky little guys, maybe i'll go to bestbuy sometime and get an LCD monitor- might need it for some new games im getting too.
PCGUY
Owner
Owner
United States of America

Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:33 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:I was wondering what the hell happened, I have a 19" TFT myself. I don't like the aspect ratio of the widescreens though, it just doesn't look right.
The aspect ratio is hard to get used to, mainly for web use. Most websites are NOT made for wide screen monitors (since many people do not have them) so the websites are either all stretched out, or they are put into a box in the center like SpudFiles is now.

Yes, that is Halo 3. I am PCGUY112887 on xbox live if anyone wants to find me.

Yes, $200/each. That is quite the deal considering the usual cheapest 22" widescreens are over $300/each. They are Samsung SyncMaster 2200WM's.

Nope no news this time, I ran to the BestBuy I was at last year at 9am on Thanksgiving day and there was already a line of cars and chairs out. So I ran to a brand new (and much smaller) BestBuy about 20mins from where I was and became third in line. No news crews there, too small of a location. Line had a few hundred people in it by the time they opened.
dreamweaver ftw?
Yes! Spudfiles has been totally developed with either Dreamweaver or Notepad.
Fnord
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:35 pm

Bah... you lucky bastard :P

A bunch of my friends got 22"s at black friday last year (I didn't go). They had everything planned out... maps of the store and the best way to attack specific isles, who was going to go where and when and get what, etc.

When I saw them on monday they told me what happened. Somehow, during all of the thought and planning, it never occurred to them that it was a bad idea to send the kid with one hand to get four 22" monitors.
______

Anyway, I "camped" out this year, but I didn't get anything big. I just wanted to get rid of a $30 gift card I got last christmas. Ended up getting a 4 gig flashdrive.
sandman
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:43 pm

PCGUY you make me jealous, i only get to play with dreamweaver at school for web page design. And notepad is the only thing that microsoft got right cause it was the only thing i used then i modded. But do these new monitors give you more ambition to do the php3 switch?
JDP12
Staff Sergeant 5
Staff Sergeant 5

Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:45 pm

wow _Fnord... pretty big mistake your friends made there! lol i bet they'll double check all their plans next year..

Lol my sisters and my mom went shopping early on black friday.. me and my dad just stayed home and slept.. we didn't exactly see the point of doing it lol
PCGUY
Owner
Owner
United States of America

Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:45 pm

But do these new monitors give you more ambition to do the php3 switch?
It's not about ambition to do the switch, it's about development. phpbb3 isn't even final yet, and all of the authors who make custom modifications for it are waiting for the final version to be released. I am stuck waiting for them to develop faster :cry: